How do you tell if you're depressed?

How do you tell if you're actually depressed?

Like at what point is it considered depression and not just feeling sad?

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's depression, it goes on for weeks or months, rather than just a few days, and you generally lose energy and interest in things in your life, and struggle more and more. I was on medication for it and had CBT, if it is depression it can be a serious medical problem so you need to see someone about it

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, mostly you'd have to relate to the symptoms: exhaustion, lethargy, feeling down all the time (or having periods of being down and then very happy before going right back down for bipolar depression), low self esteem. If you're concerned the best thing to do is speak to a doctor about it <3

• But if I talk to a doctor I'll have to talk to my parents...
      And I don't want to make them sad

• If you're depressed, then it's a medical issue, and it's worth making your parents upset if it means you get healthy again. Would you hide a broken arm from your parents? This is basically the same thing.

However, I understand why you're not sure about speaking to a doctor. Maybe try speaking to the school nurse or counsellor or student support worker, there will be someone there whose job it is to talk to students about things like this and who does it on a regular basis. They will be able to talk openly and confidentially with you and help you decide what to do.

• Okay thanks

What Guys Said 2

• When you really shut down & get the strong " Stop the the world , I wanna get off !! " feeling. Depression can be crippling , have fought this & PTSD , I'm former British Army , so have encountered the very worst of humankind. You are NOT weak , but please seek treatment.

• I've severe depression since a little age around 10 or somewhere I don't remember... I always felt sad, lazy and no energy, mood to do my work, seeing this my mom took to a doctor and that's how I knew this s**t is troubling me...

What Girls Said 7

• If you are in any way unsure of your emotional state, visiting a doctor can help to verify a diagnosis or remove the fear of illness.

Good luck.

• usually you have unescapeable low or just a bad mood, usually there's a ton of reasons you can feel depressed and not be depressed. Like if you dont get enough sun you can feel sad, or just seasonal depression, really you could just be sad that happens too :)
    hope you get more answers tats all I got.

• You go see a doctor and get a professional diagnosis.

• What are you feeling?
    Why do you think that you are depressed?

• I never said I thought I was depressed.
      I just want to know what it feels like to be depressed.

• No self esteem, constantly feel down, feel kinda empty and slightly numb when alone or with other people, also depending on how depressed one is he or she may have suicidal thoughts.

• What if you have all those symptoms but you only feel them sometimes?
      Like for a while you feel really sad. But then you start feeling happy just to feel sad again.

• Are you talking about how YOU feel? Or others feel?

• How I feel, like how do you feel when you're depressed?

• Dose that count for people online or just in person?

• For me in real life what I said... On G@G I dont answer questions

• If you're constantly sad, and that sadness influences whatever you do in a bad way