Do you think obese people should be forced into rehabilitation facilities and programs just like drug addicts and the criminally insane?

I personally think they should be. They're just as much if not more of a social liability than drug addicts and insane people when you consider what they cost the public health system every year.

• Yes
  • No
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 5

• not really. i dont think everything is merely about cost to the health system. we're talking about the story behind why that person is the way that they are... some people let go because of other things like depression or loss of a loved one etc...

putting them into rehab probably would make them feel worse. i reckon if gyms were less expensive, way more people would go.

• Nope it's their decision. Drugs are addicting and insane people are obviously not in the right state of mind so they don't really have a choice. Obese people on the other hand are fat because of their own lifestyle choices. So if they want to eat and watch TV all day then who are we to say no.

• We are the people who pay the taxes that pay for their health problems to say no

• Yes but a long time means a lot of cash and that translates to increase in taxes.

• Sometimes you first have to spend money on a problem in order to fix it.

For example, it costs a lot to reinforce the structure of your house but it will keep it stable in the long term.

Investment as opposed to spending

• Not forced but given the option. Some people simply don't know how to get away from their emotionally driven eating issues. Their grief and depression needs to be addressed and then healthy food needs to be made available and affordable to them. They need to relearn a whole new set of behaviors. It's sad.

• No. I think they need counseling, a healthy diet, and exercise.

• No, they'll just go back to being fat when they get out, and then those money are wasted.

What Guys Said 8

• i mean i definitely see your point. they harm themselfes so they should probably get help. but more like supportive help; the kind of help, suicidal people get.

• Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean

• by the way i think you find that interesting: most health insurances where i live, pay up to 100 bucks a year if you can attest a healthy body weight.

• I think this rehabilitation facility you speak of already exists and it's called a gym lol but I get what you're saying I don't find overweight people annoying just because they're overweight I only find their excuses/constant bitching of being overweight and do nothing about it annoying but if they're happy let them be but if not throw them in there

• That would have too much of an impact on our society, at least in the US. 70% of my fellow Americans is overweight. At least that was in 2009, and has been increasing since.

www.niddk.nih.gov/.../...t-obesity-statistics.aspx

• I must say though that the BMI system doesn't work at all time, I just calculated for myself and I have a BMI of 27.5 and I am definitely not overweight.

• Most people who are overweight you will find at the bottom of our society, people who can't pay for quite some things anyway. And a penalty wouldn't improve their finances, what you see here, is that when people make more money, they eat healthier and are more active when it comes to sports.

• No, someone else's personal health isn't anyone else's concern

• It is when they raise taxes on you to be able to pay for all the fat people health problems.

• What I'm talking about is sort of compassion too though.

• Not really man

• Nope we should all push you off a cliff or something.

• Comment of the day award goes to you

• I don't see how that would solve the obesity crisis. In fact, it would worsen it because it would raise the percentage of fat to normal people because I'm not fat.

A few of the fat people pushing me off might also lose their footing and fall off too causing earthquakes

• It's up to them, basically - it's not illegal to be fat... they are not hurting anybody but themselves.

• Why don't you send them to extermination camps?

• That would be inhumane

• And your proposition isn't?
      Read the Constitution, please.

• Killing is not the answer. My proposition would actually make them better.

Obesity is a disease which must be treated just like any other disease.

• If you force obese then leaf-like skinny persons should also be forced into rehab.

• The obese are more of a problem at the moment though.

Bigger (no pun intended) problems should be dealt with firkst