Why houses in the US is very cheap?

abcnews.go.com/.../2m-buy-homes-us-20705600

For $2million you can get really big house like those.

Most Helpful Guy

• Where do you live? It's not cheap in the area I live. It depends on what part of the US. There's a lot of space relative to population compared to most countries.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know. If you get a house of 1 million in my neighborhood you just get a slightly bigger house with a big garden, but just a family house for 5 people or so. In America you can buy a whole freaking castle.

• Its crazy!! Where i live you can only get an apartment or a small house in the city

• Where I live 1 million won't really buy much of a house. There's areas over here that there average is over 2 million but yeah you could buy a mansion in the mid west or the south for a million. In SF I believe the median price for a condo is close to 1.2 to 1.3 million atm 😅

• Its the same here where i live. The prices of a 165 sqm apartment is like 1-3 million usd. @cavmanier

What Guys Said 12

• Are you one of those Chinese or Indian millionaires?

Housing is relatively cheap in America compared to other countries (especially some western European countries) because of low taxes and because there's an abundance of space. In my country Switzerland, or in countries like the Netherlands, Austria or Belgium, we simply don't have a lot of space, so every square meter has to be used efficiently, whether you build a family home on it or some sort of public building.

Also, 2 million dollars isn't cheap and wherever you come from, I am certain that depending on where you live in your country, you can also buy a mansion with 2 million dollars. It might not be quite as big but it will still be quite luxurious at least. For example if you come from China, it might be true that you can only get a small apartment for 2 million dollars if you live in downtown Beijing but if you're willing to move to a small or medium size town in the south or in the west of China, you could buy a very big house for less money. The same is also true for the US by the way. You might be able to find such a house for 2 million dollars in Wyoming or Montana but certainly not in New York City or in the Silicon Valley.
    You know how I know this? Because my country Switzerland is, along with Norway, considered the most expensive country in the world and even here, you can buy a pretty luxurious home with 2 million dollars.

• So is it a crime for an Indian to be a millionaire? You jealous white piece of shit.

• Haha, I love that. You feel bad and don't have any good arguments, so you just insult me. Great job there, very grown up. It's called an ad hominem by the way and it's the best thing you can do to make yourself look like a completely childish, incompetent person.

• That's not cheap. Most of the population is lucky to be able to afford a $300,000 house.

• Uh, I don't think 2 million is very cheap. In my country you can build a brand new house with 5 living rooms, 2 bathrooms a garage for 2 cars, photovoltaic roof that produces more energy than the house consumes and automatic floor heating for just under $300,000.

• Really? In what area will that be in? Suburbs or the city?

• You can buy an already built house like that, often with an outdoor pool for 300k in suburbs, villas in good location in the capital city can cost about 700k, they have around 11 rooms and things like pools/saunas inside the house.
      The two most expensive houses I could even find currently on sale in my country cost 1.1 million and 1.4 million.
      They are connected and they are basically in the city square in the capital city.
      This is how they look like outside: www.reality.sk/.../30753376.jpeg
      and inside: www.reality.sk/.../30752692.jpeg
      www.reality.sk/.../30752686.jpeg

• Jeeez... I need to move to Slovakia ;-). I just wouldn't like the fact that eastern European societies tend to be very conservative. But I guess you can't have everything ;-).

• $2million is NOT cheap. How many Americans can pay that?

Where do you live?

• U forgot the taxes

• $2 million is not cheap

• 2 million dollars is not cheap though...

• Its not but look at how big the house is they're hugee!

• Houses is cheap cuz USA iz good

• Houses are NOT cheap here in America!

• Are they really?

• Yes, i updated the question and posted a link there

• Not in my neighborhood they ain't.

• In the US it depends what part of the country you are in. Generally the houses are cheaper because the tax burden is less. Most Western European countries have lots of hidden taxation worked into the price of everything and the cost of getting anything done. We have that in the US too but not as much so everything is cheaper except maybe produce, much of which which is subsidized more in the EU.

What Girls Said 7

• I ASK MYSELF THE SAME DAMN QUESTION.

• I find this as well. You get less for your money here in Britain in housing.

• Are they? I thought the opposite

• lol they aren't :'(

• They're definitely better value for money, for sure.

• Not here in new York

• Why is that cheap?