Why the fuck does the man have to be the breadwinner?

What I mean is why can't the husband just sit all day at home watching TV and playing video games while the wife is off at work to make money for the family?

Why is it when a woman leeches off her husband and does nothing all day then it's called a normal part of being a woman.

But if a man does it then everyone especially the women are like "I hope she leaves your lazy ass, she deserves better! Amazing, no ambition whasoever, it's a complete mystery how any woman finds you attractive!"

Like men are supposed to be these machines who should work and toil everyday till their death for the sole purpose of making women comfortable. Women don't have to do anything to justify their existence, they simply have to exist and nothing more, they're women so they're automatically far more valuable than men even if they never accomplish anything in life.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, you will never know what it's like to be a woman to see what it's like "on the other side". So far your statement is a bitter complaint to those you, I guess have seen be lazy and do nothing all day.

I don't think people should be lazy and do nothing all day, that's not good for your health. Ideally, it's best if both partners work and provide financial stability to their household. Both should also take care of the chores of the house, if both are working. But if a woman gets pregnant, then she will need time to go through the changes, give birth, and recuperate (maternity leave) before going back to work.

Some people also like the traditional roles. The husband wants to work and provide for his family financially, while his wife is taking care of the house and raising the children (and pets). Not everyone wants this, so if it's not for you, then it's not for you. But some people want it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I sympathize with women that stay at home and do housework. I really, honestly do. It can really suck, even if it is taking care of your family. But there seems to be a hypocritical double standard these days, where people think we should shed traditional gender roles, then shame and hate on a man when he doesn't get married or does get married but isn't the "breadwinner". Apparently that makes him not a "real man" and he needs to "grow a pair". There are still these expectations put on guys by the very same people who claim to want to move on from "the past".

What Girls Said 8

• I think it's because, as some people here have pointed out (all guys) that if men weren't in charge people would be living in mud huts and starve to death. =)

Sounds fun.

• I don't think the man OR the woman should be sitting at home all day watching TV and playing video games. That lack of ambition is a huge turn off to me. Why would anyone want to do that everyday?

Ideally, the man and the woman should work out together what works best for them.

• Who said the man has to be the breadwinner?

In my household I'll probably be the breadwinner, but you can bet my husband isn't going to sit around all day playing videogames and being a lazy ass.

I'm working hard for my career, and he better get off his butt and work too.

You're such a troll, stop using stereotypes, stop being so angry.

• I'm sensing there is some animosity towards women in this question...

• nah nah nah nah. If a man works, the woman will stay home to watch the children. If a woman works, the man will stay home and watch the children. doing NOTHING is not comparable at all. Women don't just 'exist'. We're the reason the whole human race is alive today! In both situations, NO ONE SHOULD BE DOING NOTHING. stop wasting your life and do something!

• Watching children isn't work.

• Yes the poor thing would have to bake cookies and play the "Where did mommy go?" hands on face game. Really hard work.

• really. changing diapers, feeding every 2-4 hours, put them in bed, play
      not hard? fuck off.

• An ideal relationship to me is where we both work. Don't waste your time with someone lazy.

• Why can't men be the ones who squeeze human life out of their bodies?
    I don't think women shouldn't contribute financially, it should be an equal partnership. But after having kids I don't see anything wrong with the mother staying home for a while to care for the child. She is contributing a great deal by raising the children.

• Well lets see I'm a stay at home mother and I know my husband would not make it one day in my shoes not one day there is more to it than just sitting on your ass watching TV u have to get kids fed bathed and dressed for school watch the ones who are not old enough for school make your husband breakfast lunch and dinner so he can be sent off to work buy groceries make sure all bills are paid on time clean entire house do laundry pills and pills of it then put it up pick kids up from school do everything u need to around town and hope u get back home in enough time to get dinner cooked while doing homework and watching a toddler clim the wall before your husband gets home and meal time is just another mess u have to clean up then bed time and u think u have peace nope your up half the night because hubby has to work tomorrow as if u don't

• Only a leeching woman would classify these menial household chores as "work".

I'm sure if a man was content to only do the "work" that you're doing now then you'd never marry him in a million years.

• No actually I worked before we got married and he didn't want me to work anymore and I know damn well my husband could not handle the kids for one day by himself without calling me or his mama so yeah his job is 40 hours with 19 hours over time my job is 24 / 7 never ending

• And if he was content at home and did everything exactly the way I do it and kept up with everything then yes I would be fine with working and him stay at home I did it before I met him so yeah

What Guys Said 9

• Woman who stay at home while their husbands work, don't sit around and play video games all day (though some probably do) they actually do the house work such as cooking cleaning and taking care of the kids. If a man want's to stay home while his wife works that's fine as long as he does the house work instead of sitting all day.

• Because if the woman is the chief breadwinner she usually ends up wearing the trousers and turns scornful/resentful/disrespectful. In all the relationships I have witnessed where the woman earned more than the guy it was a problem.

• He doesn't have to be the breadwinner. As a man, you can have whatever you want in a relationship with a woman. You just need to find a woman who is actually comfortable with that. Some are, but most aren't. Sounds like women may not be your thing

• Says your age range 30-35 deciding if your genuinely retarded, a troll or bitter.

• yep, that is the way the world works. not stop being a little bitch and go to work

• I want to earn quite a good sum of money but not to support a house wife lol

• Because that's how it is. Don't like it, be single.

• because bread tastes good and girls like eating it

• Women have more sexual power, monogamy is pretty much just prostitution in which the women sells sex for commitment and resources.

• This is the thing I don't get, men go through all that sweat and trouble to have the "privilege" to enter her vagina. If she wants me to get her resources in exchange for sex I'd say "Fuck you and your stinking fish hole, I can do everything myself"

• Most will fall for it eventually though (probably you too), and you will probably be sadder if you don't fall for it. Either way it's generally a shit deal for most.