Do you have any phobias?

I have a pretty silly phobia of balloons. I hate when they pop and I can't stand being close to them.

I also have a pretty understandable fear of horses ever since my mum got kicked by one and lost her hip. That happened when I was 6 years old and I stiffen up whenever a horse is closeby.

What are you phobias?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a phobia of being in a committed relationship.

• Have you ever thought why?

• The thing is, is that I'm not clingy, but I like talking to the people I have an interest in or just people that I'm friends with. I have major social anxiety, but if it's with close friends, I will talk to them all day. My best friend and I would Skype every single day after school and during the weekend and we'd text in between those times. He and I were inseparable. We are busy with college stuff right now, so it's hard to communicate as often as we could especially since we live in different states (attend the same school, different campuses). I am very close to him and we are usually always together when around each other. With guys I date, it's the opposite. Last guy I dated barely communicated with me and it was a part of the reason that we broke up. I also rushed into the relationship with him too. I had space, but I had too much space. I like space, but I want to have be with the guy I'm with a lot too. I don't know what's wrong with me, haha.

• It is. My last relationship I freaked out by the end of it. I don't know how I survived two months in it. It left me in a very bad state for a couple months after the breakup. I'm doing okay now, but that's because I've promised myself that I'm just going to steer clear of romantic stuff with guys. I just need to be with myself. @BlueCoyote

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't mean to be rude but is that thing with the balloons really an actual phobia? I think you're confusing the psychological term of phobia (extremely intense fear) perhaps a bit with "uncomfortable feeling"? You can tell me if I'm wrong ;-).

As for myself, I have a very bad phobia of snails and worms.
    I have absolutely no idea where it comes from and I've been trying to find out (and find fellow human beings who have the same phobia) for my whole life... so far without success.
    Of course most people find snails or worms "gross" and don't exactly want to be around any of them but for me it's much, much worse than that. When it rains outside and snails or earthworms crawl onto the street, it feels to me literally like you would feel if you had to walk over a minefield. The panic I get because I might touch one of these things or even step on one is about as bad as the fear of death. Of course I'm not stupid and I know it's completely irrational. The frontal lobe of my brain knows that this fear is very silly and that neither snails nor worms are a real danger to me. And yet, the instinctive, animalistic part in the back of my brain can't agree with it. When I get too close to a snail or worm, I get an extremely intense urge to run away as far as I can. My heart starts beating really fast and I start to sweat. I also start to feel dizzy and when it's really extreme I even feel like everything I see and hear is suddenly very, very far away and I'm stuck in this bubble of my own reality that I can't get out of anymore (or only by running away from the "danger").
    To help you understand the sensations I have when I get too close to snails or worms, imagine this: you are on a Safari and walk through the African savannah. At one point, you encounter a huge lion. You start taking photos and act a little silly. You think it's no problem because the lion seems very peaceful. But then, suddenly, the lion jumps up, looks at you in a very threatening way, bares its teeth and starts running towards you in a very fast way. As the lion is approaching you quickly and clearly wants to attack you, you look around only to realize that there is no protection whatsoever: no tree to climb, no car, no building, nothing. Your consciousness gets switched off and your body starts acting without you understanding what you're doing. Maybe you run away, maybe you throw yourself on the ground and wish for the best, maybe you start screaming to scare the lion away. This mix of

• panic, desperation, stress and sometimes even wish to die is what I experience when my phobia strikes me. This is why I also can't control myself in those moments. I remember one time in elementary school a boy who knew about my phobia wanted to tease me by putting a worm on the palm of his hand and running after me, trying to stuff it into my clothes. Because he could run faster than me and I knew he was eventually gonna catch me, I panicked so much that I stopped and punched him really hard. He lost one of his teeth and I got yelled at by my teachers. I'm a very peaceful person and this is the only time in my life where I ever seriously hurt another person but unfortunately it just sort of happened. I didn't mean to do it and I felt bad afterwards but my phobia was just so strong that my hand acted out my irrational fear before I could rationally decide what's the best course of action.

• Awwww thank you for understanding me :-). Yeah, that's exactly how I feel too. I'm very thankful to my girlfriend that she takes my phobia serious. Almost all my friends and family members just make fun of me or tease me saying "c'mon, it's not so bad! They can't even bite you! How can you be scared of something so small?" But the point that they don't understand is that it's not a conscious fear. It's not like standing on top of a mountain and thinking "omg I could actually fall down here and die". It's something that just happens inside of me and it's so hard to act against the emotions. Strangely, I don't have any problems with spiders or any type of insect. I mean... I don't exactly find them pretty but I can catch them and flush them down the toilet if my girlfriend desires. But snails and worms are just... a nightmare. I really wonder where this stuff comes from. I mean the lizard thing too, it seems so random. Why snails? Why lizards? Why not squirrels? I wanna know the reason..

• Hahaha you took the words outta my mouth. xD
      Yeah, that is strange. I don't fear spiders too which most people probably fear. When I see one, everyone around starts screaming, and I just go there and kick the spider out like nothing.

And yeah it is not like a normal fear. You just can't control yourself. For you, when you see a worm, your brain translate it as a threat or even worse than that, so your body start reacting strangely to protect you from it. That is why when the boy was running after you with a worm. It was like he was after you with a fire (even worst than just a fire) and you couldn't help but react to it since you know if the worm touches you, your brain will end up killing you. Well, man, it is so intense. -_-"

Do you remember anything from your childhood that might have triggered it though?

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 6

• Not a single one. I must suffer from aphobism. LOL

• I have claustrophobia.

• Phobia of heights and small places ( Claustrophobia )

• Im really afraid of bald people, big headed bald people who are short.

• Clowns.

I am also slightly claustrophobic.

• Odontophobia (fear of dentist): www.juniordentist.com/.../...atient_nightmare1.jpg

• I had that phobia when I was a kid. But later had to wear braces, and so I got over it.