Are women and men equal in strength?

Its commonly thought that men are stronger than women most of the time (I don't mean better) but, I see a lot of media or Other things that try to say that women are stronger then men (once again I don't mean better). I was wondering myself if either one is true, or if they are equal, or possibly something else. Let me know what you think and try to tell me why you think it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends about what sort of strenght you are talking about.

Physical strenght, i think we can all agree than men are stronger. It's how DNA made them, the hunter and fighter that protects the village.
    Women have other strenghts where in my opinion they are stronger. Pain tolerance for instance. Emotional strenght. Empathy and personal conflict solving (communication). They where the ones left back in the village and responsible for holding the social group together.
    You could say, men are more about the physical part, women more about the mind.

So "equality" cannot be applied to physical atributes. Of course there are exeptions. Like a mountain of a woman (you know the nordig, viking type) who can probably kick a skinny mans ass. but it's not the norm.

We are equal in our rights as a person and idividual.

• Yep, I believe that men and women have their strengths that compliments the other gender and completes them.

Most Helpful Guy

• In terms of muscle men are more top heavy and women are more bottom heavy (below the waist). Of course they're not equal in strength you can tell by physically looking at men and women. Our bodies anatomically are very different that there's no way they'd be physically equal. Now that doesn't mean all men are stronger than all women. I exercise and am a built person but there are definitely women out there that could take me at an arm wrestling match. Have you seen American Gladiators? Those chicks breasts disappear into their pectoral muscles!

What Girls Said 13

• On average men are stronger than women but I think there are very different kinds of strength for example a man may be able to lift much heavier things or run a lot faster but women tend to have better balance. That's perhaps due to where we have the most muscle, men have much bigger arms and outer layer muscles whereas obviously women have lots of core strength in their stomachs to push out a baby. I'm not a physiologist though so I may be wrong :)

• Physically most guys are just simply stronger than females. I mean sure some females who body build and stuff might be stronger or equal but the average female is still going to be weaker physically than the average male.

• It depends on the person but usually I think guys are stronger. For example a lady shouldn't carry heavy things because they can get hurt easier than a guy.

A girl whos a professional boxer or gym rat will probably be stronger than a skinny guy who doesn't do anything

It all depends

• So true all depends but I meant more like typical stuff, your answer was great.

• Yeah on average yes and thanks :))

• Is this a joke?

The average man, in theory, is stronger than the average woman. Testosterone has a bit to do with it. In terms of strength potential, men definitely have it easier for becoming very strong, again testestrone.

Good luck.

• Stronger in what aspect?
    The average man is physically stronger than the average woman.
    Emotionally it's said that since women socialize and talk with other women they can work things out more efficiently and get past events more easily which makes them stronger.

• No, men are generally physically stronger than women. Women are emotionally stronger.

I think there even an athletic women/ women who weightlift, box are not stronger as average built guys. They can be stronger than skinny guys, but not as strong as muscular guys.

• Maybe when they say women are stronger, they mean emotionally?
    Physically guys are generally stronger.

• Nope they are not.

• In general most men are stronger than most women.

• Uh duh, of course men are (generally speaking) physically stronger than women.

• A man is always gonna be stronger than a woman.

• no they are not and dont let anyone tell you otherwise
    they are probably either defensive women who think being phyically smaller/weaker = weakness
    or men who like hitting women

• Men are stronger than women physically... yet I doubt it if a man can bear labour pain... if they had to :P

What Guys Said 10

• That's like asking "are men usually taller than women?" Physically, men are stronger.

I remember seeing this vid where this woman was the arm-wrestling world champion in the woman's bracket and she went up against three random guys in a bar (decently in-shape guys, but not experts or anything).

The first I remember her beating, but the other two beat her. Just two randomers against a world champion.

So, it speaks for itself, really.

• In brute strength, strongest woman could not beat the strongest man.
    In running, it is the same. The fastest lap completion time goes to man.
    Now don't compare a weakling and say woman are stronger.

• Physically the guys are stronger or more able to build muscles , but non-physical things , women can take a lot sometimes more than many men

• Under normal circumstances no they are not. You must be joking.

• men are naturally stronger than women. girls can work out and become equally strong,

• They can carry a baby and push it out a small opening... so

• I don't mean like that, I mean like strength they use (other than that)

• If your looking for confirmation that the average woman isn't as strong as the average men. Then yes, men require on average 1800 calories per day baseline and females 1200 baseline. Because of muscle mass. Emotionally stronger I would say woman but men are better at stressful situation it's all wishy washy you can take your pick on certain things we differ in strength

• On average, guys are obviously stronger... but there are some female bodybuilders and some very weak guys...

• Nope not same

• I think the media is talking about mentally stronger. Men and women are equally mentally strong or weak but guys are generally stronger.

• Men "ON AVERAGE" are stronger than women. Not everyone's the same though. I'm really strong, but one of my friends is an Olympic rowing champion. They're stronger than me. So, yeah.