Do you say bath or bath?

b-ar-th or b-ah-th?

• B-ar-th
  • B-ah-th
  • Shower
  • Rubber ducky!

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 5

• My mum's from Yorkshire, so we always say b-a-th with a short "a", as in "Tax ". We also say many other words with a short "a", like castle.

• There's a reason people invented the IPA phonetic chart. Nobody understands it when you say "b-ar-th" ;-)
    I say bæ:θ which is the American English way to say it. In British English (RP) it's bɑ:θ.

• Phonetics are useless unless you know the sounds. It's like learning another language! There are so many dialects in UK, I'm sure not avery pronunciation can be covered. Maybe I'm wrong.

• @dogbert444: You are wrong. The IPA chart of phonetic signs can cover ALL dialects and languages in the world (the are special diacritics for the particularly exotic languages). That's the beauty of these signs. Whether you speak Gaelic or Cantonese, Italian or Xhosa, if you know the phonetic alphabet, you can understand how any other language is pronounced (this is why you will ALWAYS find a phonetic transcription next to the actual word in a dictionary of any language). It is true that one has to learn how phonetics work in order to understand them. I had to learn them because I study linguistics... but it's also something worth learning for everyone else because you can just be sooo much more precise than with normal letters. Plus, as I said, phonetics are a universal language. If you write "b-ar-th" but somebody only knows the Arabic or the Cyrillic alphabet, they won't understand you ;-).

• It's OK for linguists or students of dialects, but for the general oiks of this world, it doesn't mean a thing. Like an artist learning the intricasies of integral calculus. Meaningless.

• lol rubber ducky

• Who the hell says "barth"? lol.

I've seriously never heard that in my life.

• Rubber ducky

What Girls Said 4

• i voted for shower

• "barth" ? that's just as bad as saying "warshing machine".

• Haha! Some people say wash though, and others say it like wosh... to me they're the same :P

• Rubber ducky of course.
    I just got in the rubber ducky and took a rubber ducky.

• shower lol.