Is it possible to gain an accent?

I live in the western U. S so I don't have very much of an accent to begin with. Anyway so I first noticed this last year. So I watch a lot of videos and listen to music from a bunch of different countries and the one accent I seem to have picked up a bit is an irish accent. When talking I will have my regular plain accent and then I will say a certain word and it sounds irish. I am not doing it on purpose. I do notice when I say it but I just say it like that without thinking. I was wondering is it possible to pick up an accent? I know it sounds stupid.

Most Helpful Girl

• It is, i'm from the south and have an accent and my boyfriend doesn't and he lets words slip sometimes with a country accent now. Everyone said I would lose my accent when I was around someone without one but I still have mine and he's the one who has slipped up and let a few country sounding words come out lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, yes it is possible, and quite common.

We tend to mimic what we hear, ever find yourself laughing like someone else? It's instinctive.

What Girls Said 3

• kind of. u can pick it up but i dont think it'll ever take over ur first entirely. not sure if u can gain an accent without going to another country...

• So I work in a place where talking to people is a non-stop task, in a place where people from all sorts of different places with all sorts of different accents come to shop. I am constantly trying to hold back the urge to mirror their accent in conversation, and if someone else talks to me after that convo I'll accidentally respond with the slightest bit of foreign accent in my tongue. So I'd say yes, it's possible.

• Yes, I am Aussie but live in a house with international students. I've been told I picked up the accent a bit of the ones I talk to the most.

What Guys Said 2

• I'm 0% Scottish and I can pull one off perfectly lol... so yeah, it is.

• Yes, it is.

My cousin moved from FL to VA about ten years ago, and now when I talk to her on the phone she sounds like a goddamn hillbilly redneck instead of a human person.