What would you think if your 18-years-old daughter was dating a 29-years-old?

Your daughter turned 18, moved out for college and is paying rent herself for her apartment. When she comes home to visit you she mentions that she has a boyfriend. He's a 29 years old and he's indigenous Peruvian.

• I'd be okay with it, I'd want to meet him
  • I wouldn't be okay with it

Most Helpful Guy

• i would punch him through a wall. She might be of "Age" but she is just now getting into the world. He needs to back off for several years until she finds herself.

• Why can't he be there while she finds herself?

• Because he is going to influence her. There is all sorts of emotion involved. She doesn't need that clouding her judgment.

Most Helpful Girl

• It would be hypocritical of me not to approve of such a relationship considering I was in a semi-relationship with a 32-year-old man at 18. Plus I mean, come on. He's Peruvian. He's probably hot as hell.

What Guys Said 1

• I'd be okay with it cause i was age 35 and dated a 18 year old. and age 18 she is legal

What Girls Said 8

• Ew fuck no. And for the record, I wouldn't want my 18 year old boy dating a 29 year old woman either!! That is just too much. What could a 29 year old POSSIBLY have in common or see in an 18 year old? They are a full grown adult and are just being creepy predators. My highschooler is not going to be with someone old enough to have a spouse and kids. That person probably has some sort of mental or developmental disorder if they have to prey on children and can't find someone their own age.

• Your kid is in college, %100 independent from you, and in all honesty, you're overreacting. They can have everything in common. Everything. Every single thing in this whole wide world. Maybe they're both into cooking. Maybe they're both introverts and like to discuss the lives of immigrants in 1907 New York. Your interests are NOT defined by your age.

• Ugh, it's not me. Why does everyone think that way?

• Lol I don't know you're giving specifics in other questions.

Their boyfriend could be my age at that time. She should be with someone her own age and not someone who is struggling making house payments and working a full time job. She should be out having fun.

• Accidentally voted A.

Meant to vote B.

Aw HELL no! No way in hell is that happening. She gets the creepy old man or the support of her family.

And yes, I am THAT black and white on this subject.

• I would not be happy. At all. He's way too old for her and a grown man needs to leave a newly graduated girl alone. She has better things to focus on than boys 10 years older than herself.

• I'm 18 dating a 30 year old. I don't recommend it unless the younger person is an "old soul", because I've always been told I'm mature for my age and an old soul myself, but it is very difficult at times, and there's a LOT more to deal with and talk about with said dating person. It can definitely be a struggle, but I've been in my relationship for almost a year, and the only thing that would stop me is if I felt my life going into a different direction.

My piece of advice is to talk to your kid and make sure they realize that if they still have young-minded, free-life'd dreams, to make sure they consider their partner and that they understand they won't be able to live life to the fullest extent as their friends their age, because dating a person considerably older than you also means always keeping their older-minded ways in your own decisions and interests. Kind of like.. If they lived together, and the 18 year old goes out to drink with a group of friends until 3-4am, and they come back home. Not only will that disturb the older partner's sleep and mood (more commonly), but it might bring up trust issues in the relationship, even if the 18 year old would never cheat/etc. on them. Unless the 29 year old their in relationship with is kind of a free spirit themselves and would actually go out with them on their adventures. If so, lucky girl.

Age gaps don't matter unless it turns into a situation of underage sex and/or pedophilia. It's just a lot to consider, and a lot of sacrifice that the 18 year old might not realize they'll have to make yet.

• I wouldn't like it and if she lived with me, it wouldn't be happening.

• She doesn't live with you

• The law doesn't care about that either. Bills or not, she can legally date a tree if she wants to.

• Yeah after she gtfo of my house ~

• I would want to meet and know him first before I pass judgement

• Definitely not okay with it.

• I would be fine with it.