Would it be creepy if someone sent you something to your home?

... when you've never told them your full address?
Let's say that this is a person you know somewhat.

There are plenty of services (at least where I live) online that you can go to if you want a certain person's phone number and home address.

Would it be weird if someone looked up your address in order to send you something? (Not something creepy, something normal like a gift or a letter).

• It would be creepy
  • It would not be creepy
  • I'm not entirely sure how I would feel
  • It would surprise me (in a good way)
  • It would surprise me (in a bad way)

Most Helpful Guy

• I did this to a girl i liked in February for Valentines day. She is one of those girls who is always taken while i have known her. Our friends got married so they asked for our addresses on Facebook in a private group thingy lol. So i thought well we were talking a little bit not an everynight kinda deal and her grandmother just died i should send her some flowers. Well it ended up being a cute valentines day flowers. No roses just a cool thing of flowers that fits her style and colors with a cute little saying and for her to call me me wheb she gets them. She never called and blocked me from everything. Never talked at the wedding at all i said hi to be the nice person i am but i was/still am hurt. Its not like i met this girl for one little date. I have known her for 12 years and we were friends. I still dont get it. I could of simply asked one of our mutual friends her address and they would of given it to me. So yeah my story. I would find it fun if someone sent me something oug of the blue that i know. I want to ask her to explain herself but how when she want answer my calls or texts or anything? UGH! WOMEN! 😧

• And i knew where she lived just not the address cuz she moved. I was even at her old place atill weird

• Well then I have no other explanation than that she overreacted :/ what a weird situation.

• Yeah it justs doesn't make sense. I know my worth and i dont deserve that

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends what it was for. If it was to send me like a thank you note for a gift or something like that it would be ok and I would consider it thoughtful. If it was to just send me something random out of the blue it would probably freak me out a little bit.

• I understand. What would you define as something "random"? Like... a lock of his hair? Lmao!

• haha definitely that lol but like I guess something I didn't request or necessarily "deserve." so like if I got you a birthday present so you wanted to send me one for my birthday that wouldn't be creepy. but if you just casually wanted to send me a present just because then that would be kind of creepy. creepy might be a strong word, it would just make me a little suspicious of if you are creepy haha

• Haha yeah alright, I understand :)

What Guys Said 18

• That's why I simply asked my crush for her address, and she gave it to me right away, and THEN asked if I was gonna TP her.

• Haha yeah that's the normal way, but you wouldn't get the element of surprise that some might want. :P

• Who knows. If they think the element of surprise is creepy they're not worth it.

• If someone looks up your address to send some you a gift that doesn't seem to creepy what would be creepy is what they send you that's what is creepy

• It all depends on the context of the situation, relationship between the 2 of you etc :)

• Ok, I'll paint a few scenarios for you
      - either a good friend or someone you only know somewhat
      - it's a gift or a letter
      - they wanted to surprise you (hence not asking for your address)
      - the gift/letter is not something out of the ordinary (i. e. something creepy)

Would you feel differently depending on how close you are? Or would you be creeped out/surprised in a good way no matter who they are?

• Alright, thanks :)

• You're welcome with pleasure young lady :)

• As there was no indication that something of this nature might occur, (unless they live far away, and the information was retrieved somewhere in which I provided it, even if inadvertently, which I would accept as reasonable,) it is an invasion of privacy.

• Yes, it would be creepy, however I can defend myself

• Depends to me on how easy it is to find your address. If they could just look it up really quickly and have it, I wouldn't consider that particularly creepy. It would have been more appropriate to ask, though. If they would have to go digging through obscure information and your old stuff, THAT'S creepy.

• Yeah all you have to do is create an account on a website (all you have to do is fill out your name, email, password so it takes less than a minute) and then all you have to do is search for their name in the search bar. This process would take 2 minutes max if you have slow internet or something haha. I agree, it would be 10 times creepier if they spent like days trying to find it. But it's still a bit odd to not just ask for it directly.

• Or they wanted the element of surprise!

• Seems like you've answered your own question, then!

• A total wtf situation. Don't.

• I would never, I'd feel to weirded out doing it. :D Just saw a commercial for one of those services not too long ago and started wondering what would happen/how people would react in a scenario like this.

• What if someone sent you a screen shot of a gift they ordered for you and that person's home address was on the screen and you told them about that? I mean it's almost a full screen size of the address seems like they wanted you to know?

• That's some creep ass shit, don't do it!

• Creepy. It'd be less creepy if this person were a girl I liked. I'd still feel bad knowing that someone was able to find my address so easily.

• It depends what the item is.

• Yeah lol hahah but I'd laugh

• It depends on who sent me the gift and what it is/was.

• I wouldn't mind a pizza though ;)

• It depends on the content. But at first, a bit creepy since I never told, but if the gift or letter is normal, than the whole context is good.

• Creepy as fuck.

• i dont think its creepy tbh!
    most girls look up everything anyway (like IG, fb, dm's whatever) so why hide it? lol
    second, if it IS on the internet, then yeah, i dont think its creepy!

• This has happened to me. I still have absolutely no idea how the person found my address.

It wasn't scary, just bizarre and unwelcome.

• Who was it? Did you know the person? What did they send?

• Bit of a long story. I used to host a radio show. After I ended it I got a letter in the mail from a longtime listener. No one at the station had my home mailing address, and it was not publicly available (in part because I didn't want some listeners in particular to know where I lived--there are some crazy people who listen to the radio, and we'd occasionally get calls from some very special and exceptional people :) ). My best guess is that he spent a great deal of time and detective work looking through property records. And that in itself is a bit unnerving.

What Girls Said 19

• That depends on the situation and what is being sent to me. If it's an invitation to a wedding or something, then I'm the asshole for not giving you my address. If it's a lock of your hair entwined with mine in a crystal heart, that's really fucking creepy dude.

• Oh my fucking god. Gross. Haha but no, something along the lines of a small (NORMAL) gift or a letter. :)

• I'm actually not sure.. it would depend on what it was and how close I am to that person. If it was a mutual friend and he would have asked one of my friends for my address to send me a birthday present etc. I would actually think it was a nice surprise :) If it was however someone I have just met and who doesn't have any connection to my friends so the way to how he got my address would be in question I think I would definitely be creeped out by that..

• I understand! There's a website here where you can find someone's address within only 2 minutes or so. What if he (your close friend) had used that instead of asking a mutual friend? Would that be more creepy or would it be the same as asking a friend?

• I meant following you as in physically walking behind you hahaha :D I need to look up that stalker psychology thing, I thought stalkers could stalk anyone they wanted and wouldn't focus on only one type of person (a person they somehow know). Thankfully google exists... for all my stalking needs :D

• haha omg yeah I didn't even think about that!

• i would feel so freaking conflicted lol.
    id probably feel more creeped out than flattered.

• If I never told the person where I lived then yeah I'd find it pretty creepy.

• Well there are services (totally legal and advertised) in my country where you just have to type in a person's name to find their home address. It makes information like that is pretty easy to find. It would be a gift from someone you know at least a little bit. Perhaps they wanted to surprise you and thus didn't ask for your address directly from you. Would you still find it creepy?

• @Asker

Service or not I think it's weird. If it was a close friend then it's a different story but if it's someone I hardly know then I can't help but find it weird.

• I agree. :) And like I told fauchelevent, close friends usually know where you live so it would be odd either way.

• That would be very creepy, unless I knew them super well.

• Even if it's a gift? :P

• It's still extremely weird that they looked up personal information about me without me knowing when I'd have been much happier if they'd just given me a gift in person, so... Yeah, even if it's as a gift. It seems kinda stalkerish otherwise.

• Ok I understand. I feel the same way as you, would only be ok with someone I know super well. But then it would be weird if they didn't know my full address by the time we become super close.

• If it's sent to my P. O. Box, then that is fine, that's what it's there for. I don't want random people knowing where I live, so I would find it a bit creepy if someone sent something directly to me when I did not give them my home address.

• yes i would definitely be creeped out by this :O

• Even if it is a gift that's creepy. What if they are stalking me or are totally obsessed with me? Good thing my family is well armed with guns.

• Yeah, that's creepy. It makes me think that that someone might jump out of a bush whenever I'm at the entrance door in the future.

• Even if they're a good friend?

• Maybe he was singing the song in his head... creepiness escalates tenfold hahahaha

• Oh my.. at least tenfold! hahahaa

• Yes, I would freak out. I wouldn't even open the box.

• I see. What if it was from a good friend whom you haven't told your address to?

• These services probably only work in smaller countries/countries with smaller populations. It probably wouldn't work in the US (for instance) because there are lots of people there with the same name and such. But yeah, think of it as the yellow pages, but online haha.

• Ah :) Then, I would be okay, lol

• How the fuck did they got my adress...

media.giphy.com/media/ukGm72ZLZvYfS/giphy.gif

• Uber creeeeepy!

• That's really awkward, strange and I would say that if I didn't know them and maybe even if I didn't know they knew my address then that would be REALLY creepy

• Yes ill. inform the police of the stalker

• Amazon wishlists work in a similar way, but the destination address is kept secret to the sender.

• if you didn't "give" it... then it's definitely creepy.

• if it was a run away teenager trying to sell magazines trying to sell things that would be creepy but if it's someone who works for ups who would send packages then that wouldn't be creepy

• I think that's adorable and a great idea

• totally would be.