How do you deal with a dying dog?

my dog is very sick... he is still alive and moving and stuff but i have a feeling in my heart he won't make it...
maybe im being dramatic but I don't know

i can feel it when my dog is sick or when something is not right even before he shows any symptoms or w/e (i did with my last dog as well) and right now i feel like i should be saying my goodbyes... I don't know

like i said i had another dog before him, she is gone now... she was my first dog and i was beyond devestated when i lost her, I don't know if i can deal with this again..

I don't know what to do with myself right now, i need to take a break from crying... but I don't know i feel like there is a spear being driven through my heart right now.. i just can't..

other things are going terrible with my life too... i feel like im sinking... i feel lost

what do i do? what do i do with myself?

Most Helpful Guy

• I can deal with the death of humans, but I would be shattered with the death of pets. That's the reason i don't have pets, and don't intend to have them until I am 80 or something, which means I'll probably die before them and don't have to witness their death.

• Certain birds like parrots and macaws, and tortoises, can live as long as people.

• @Curmudgeon
      I know about tortoises, but I don't think they're appropriate as pets. Thanks for letting me know about those birds, will give it a thought,. Because quite frankly, I feel pretty lonely these days and a pet could do wonders!

Most Helpful Girl

• My cat died when I was 14 and I remember how difficult it was for me too. She got sick gradually till she eventually had to be put out. My best advice is to grieve and to allow yourself to go through the different stages. There will come a time when you will accept that your dog is sick and when he passes away you'll be able to be at peace knowing he isn't sick anymore and has lived a good life. I remember how terrible my cat looked on the day she passed away (all her hair fell out) and I just realized this isn't right and that she needs to be put at rest. I know cling onto the good memories when she was alive and well. Time will help to heal the wounds I promise.

What Guys Said 10

• Best thing you can do is make your dog's last moments happy. Don't let it suffer.

After any loss, it's best to find something to distract you. The reason parents get another pet after losing one is for this exact reason. Your dog would not want to make you sad whenever you think of them.

• okay, if your dog is going to pass and your parents know it, when the time is getting near let them take the dog to the hospital for euthanasia. and you stay home.

• is when your dog starts defecating where they sleep or on him/herself is when serious concern is warranted. life is worth living as long as they can walk the triangle (bed -> food -> toilet).

• They do live 15 years, if you are lucky.

• Best to spend as much of your time as possible with him. Get that tail wagging!

• take him to the vet and have him put to sleep, there is no need to prolong his suffering

• I deal with it like Ol Yeller...

• Look at it this way... in nature when a wolf is sick it distances itself from the pack since it is too weak. You need to act like you are in charge and spend more time with him... thusly perhaps tricking their mindset into believing he is ok.

• static.fjcdn.com/.../...ot+mine_ebe149_4368329.jpg

We all die but it's OK to cry...

• Some researchers say the death of an animal can have greater effects on a person than the loss of a family/person member. Just give your dog the love and comfort he needs and do your best to keep it together my friend. Sorry for your hard times. Death is part of all we have on earth and it never gets easier. Hugs to you

• I hope you are doing OK. Hugs

What Girls Said 2

• Spend as much time as you can with him, give him his favorite food. Basically make him happy before his time comes. Stay strong xxo

• Seems like you already know what to do, you only have to make peace with it.