The great "colour/color" debate. Which do you choose? Why did you choose it?

Ok, so a friend and I are fighting on Skype about the spelling of the word "colour/color" he says it's "color", and I say it's "colour" because that's how the word is suppose to be spelled. I know I'm not from the U. K., heck, I've never been outside the U. S., but I do know it's "colour" and not "color". It's originally suppose to be "colour" and not "color" but he won't accept it and keeps saying I'm wrong. He's a poo head. u3u

• It's "colour", and he's a poo head.
  • It's "color", and 'Murica. Hooshaw~
The poll is even so far. It's colour~
I swear the guys are just as bad as my friend. xD

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I once got 98% in, an essay because my teacher said "color" is the right spelling. She denied me full marks for that small thing. at least They never found the body.

What Guys Said 14

• It was originally "color" because it was derived from Latin - the Brits only started spelling it "colour" (the way the French used to) after the Norman (ie. French) conquest.
    Obviously now the US spell it "color" and the French spell it "couleur", so it's only the British and Commonwealth (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc) that still spell it "colour".

• They're both correct depending on where you are. In my case, it's color because I live where that's the way it's spelled. If I went to England, then I'd be wrong.

Something of interest... there are some words that people commonly believe to be correct because of their use in the UK and the belief that since England preceded America, their way came first. In reality, some of the words we have came over from England during the colonial period and have remained here ever since, while in the UK the words have changed, so we actually have the original usage.

• The word colour is spelled as color in American English. It is spelled without 'u' in America only. The meanings of the two words are same. The colour or color of something is the appearance that it has as a result of the way in which it reflects light. Red, blue, green, yellow are colours.

• Another Brits vs. Americans argument, lulz.

My UK friend used to insist to me that it was "al-you-min-ee-um", not "al-ooh-min-um".

I would always tell him it was "mil-it-tarry", not "mil-it-tree."

• You do know that there are multiple words spelled differently in English across the world, right?

• colour- but I am an outsider to the States

Another word that never registers in the USA vocabulary is 'ironical'- they always stop at 'irony'

End of my 3am vocab class- leave the teacher an apple on the way out :)

• It's color we invented the color television not the colour tv even my phone has red lines under colour

• Depends if you are American or UK/Canadian.

• I find people who cannot accept that different spellings exist across the world quite ignorant.

• I mean, I'm not telling you all that your spelling of kindergarten is wrong either, just because it's written with a capital K in German.

• UK, Australia, India - Colour
    US - Color

Majority wins :P

Both are correct.

• i'm aussie and i say colour

• I say color but voted colour

• It's colour. Only dumbasses write color.

• He may still be a poo head, but in American English, it is color.

What Girls Said 13

• As someone who lives and studies in the UK I use "colour" - I've even tried to spell it "color" before but the autocorrect would always change it to "colour" although it is set for the American English so I figured that "colour" is the actual correct way of spelling it.. ( ? _ ? )

• I choose colour. Why? Because...
    http://i.imgur.com/tTNuoh5.gif

• it's coloUr, people! :P

• Whatever it's supposed to be, I'm still gonna use color. 😔

• Colour, Aussies spelled it that way.

• The more I look at the words, the more wrong they look to me.

I spell it "color", because 'Murica.

• It's spelt 'colour' here in my country xD

• Colour is Australian spelling. Color is American.

• Nope, it's renk.

• It's 'colour' and 'SPELT'. S-P-E-L-T.

• It's spelt colour here in Australia :)

• i think it depends on the country you live which determines the spelling

• You'd think they'd go with the original spelling of it though.

• Flavor, Flavour, tomato, tom√Ęto. Symantics

• How would you spell them?

• I use American English, so color. But I am fine with colour