Do you dream regularly?

This might sound like a strange question but I am a person who loves talking about dreaming and my dreams. I'm not one of those slightly esoteric people who believe that all dreams always necessarily have some kind of message and I also don't believe that certain aspects of a dream (a house, a car, a dead person) necessarily "mean" something. However, I do find the act of dreaming immensely interesting from a psychological and anthropological perspective. Personally, I tend to dream quite vividly and I remember almost all my of my dreams. Sometimes I get up in the morning and I even remember 2 or 3 different dreams I had in that night. In rare cases, I even remember a particular dream (or at least parts of it or its general atmosphere) for weeks or even months. My girlfriend on the contrary claims to have never ever dreamt in her life so far. Of course this is not exactly correct. All people dream... some people just don't remember their dreams. So what she means to say is that she has never been able to remember anything she's ever dreamt. Even when I wake her up in the middle of the night - which is a typical trick scientists use to make people remember their dreams - she can't tell me what dream she's just been woken up from. To me, this feels very strange and hard to imagine. I remember so much every morning (good and bad stuff) and it's hard to imagine what it would be like to live without that. Even more strangely, one of my best friends claims that while she is capable of remembering her dreams at least once in a while, she has never ever had a nightmare in her whole life (or at least she wasn't able to remember it after waking up). Again, to me this doesn't make any sense. I've always thought that nightmares and sexual dreams are probably the two most intensive and thus most memorable types of dreams and I can't understand how somebody can possibly not remember any of her nightmares. Yet, my friend claims exactly that.
So here my questions:
Can you remember your dreams well? (Do you "dream a lot" or "dream very little"?)
and if you don't remember your dreams, does that include your nightmares and sexual dreams as well? I wonder if there are other people like my girlfriend who experience sleep more like a way of being completely passed out, rather than going to the movies in your own brain.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to remember my dreams quite frequently but not as much anymore. I've had all kinds of dreams but I really want to try a lucid dream.

What Girls Said 2

• I dream a lot and they are normally so intense that I have to write them down the next morning. They really fascinate me. I usually remember the nightmares more. Even though I hate horror movies and being scared, there's something about nightmares that after the initial scare is pure raw emotion and I can't help but relive the dream. It's like being in my own movie. I remember regular dreams, but they are nothing like the strength a nightmare has. I truly hate nightmares, but they are so intriguing that I just can't forget them so I write them down and show them to my best friend. She believes I could write a book with all the dreams becaus they are so intense and emotionally intriguing😂 she actually asks me if I remember any dreams from the night before because she loves to read them.

• I totally agree with you :-). Being stuck in a nightmare feels terrible but once you're awake and you've calmed down a bit, it can be really fascinating to think about it. Sometimes, our brains and psyche can create scenarios that are a hundredfold creepier and emotionally more straining than watching any horror movie...

• I rarely dream

What Guys Said 4

• I don't remember my dreams very often. I've had a few vivid dreams that stand out in my mind but I'd like to be able to have a lucid dream (vivid =/= lucid). A lot of my dreams lack continuity and just hop all over the place, alternating back and forth between topics, so I'm surprised that I don't become aware of the fact that I'm dreaming.

• I am dreaming in the daylight.

• I used to, but for months I dream less.

• once or twice a week maybe, lot less than I used to