Why is self harm bad?

First off, I don't want any Onision like comments saying "cause its stupid" and "because you're a moron"

I genuinely want to know why its bad. Infections can be prevented, it eases the pain, scars can heal, whats so bad about it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well first of all Onision is right but I see where your coming from here, I think it is a bit over-reacted to. Its not like they are actually killing themselves, but it is a sign that they have suicidal tendencies, which means they might eventually commit suicide - which is obviously not a good thing. Also I think people find it more creepy and dark than anything else, because you like to enjoy making yourself bleed.. and people, as we all know by now, do not appreciate anything that isn't really normal behavior.

• That's very interesting, and very true. People are shunned for strange behaviour, then they wonder why the strange behaviour continues. I stopped self harming because I wasn't shunned anymore, I was accepted and offered help. I wanted to hear people's opinions, from the perspective of someone who hasn't had to suffer with self harm. Thank you, you've helped me a great deal. :)

• You're welcome :)

What Guys Said 9

• because you are scaring and destroying a healthy and beautiful body. If you are going to want any relationships with guys, then you are limiting chances, and they are going to be very slim. No guy wants to take on a girl, with a lots of emotional baggage.

First of all, too think there is nothing wrong with self harming, is because you are denial about it. You need help, and you have accept you have a serious problem.

You are self harming to runaway from your problems within yourself, instead of dealing with them.

• Purposely hurting yourself isn't a very healthy thing to do obviously haha

I personally don't know how people do it.. When I get angry and punch something I get angier because I'm in pain ahah

• It shows an inability to cope, with simple life struggles
    people in the 3rd world, dont cut, its a first world problem

Also, it shows mental illness, no sane person would purposely hurt themselves

• It's bad because it's a reflection of how troubled someone's mind is

Now if it was natural to cause self harm, we wouldn't have this conversation. But since it's not natural to do it, means it's only done when your mental state has been compromised

• Causing yourself more pain to make pain go away doesn't work. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

It's a result of mental fragility which is bad in itself.
    A byproduct of something bad is bad.

• whats so bad about it? perhaps the fact that you are not dealing with your issues. instead of putting effort into making your life better, you just cry and feel sorry for yourself.

thats whats so bad about it

plus its ugly

• it doesn';t make sense... and if doctors are treating you, then why shouldn't people with more serious conditions get treatment.

• i think it's like pausing your death.

• Pausing death? Interesting, how do you mean?

• Well, I think the word harm may have something to do with it.

What Girls Said 2

• because you're hurting your own body and thats not good.

• Are you serious? How on earth can you think it's good for someone, to be so depressed they cut open their own skin? And the scars doesn't just heal, they fade but if the cut was deep enough they will be very visible for a very, very long time.

• I didn't say it was good. I didn't state my opinion. I want to know why people find it bad.

• For the reasons I just stated.