If someone invites you to the cinema (and pays for your ticket), would it be rude to later tell them that you find the movie stupid?

We're talking about a friendship Situation. Or a Situation where a relative pays for your ticket when you go to the cinema together. Or a date, maybe. You genuinely did not like the movie. Then they later ask you how you find the movie. Would it be rude to tell them the truth that you find the movie stupid? ‰‰

Most Helpful Guy

• It would be rude to lie to them. But there are kind ways of telling them the truth and there are rude ways. First, tell them you appreciated the invitation and being able to spend some time with them. Then tell them what it was about the movie that you did not like. Was it subject matter? Acting? The way the story went? Etc. Just one of these things, the one that bothered you the most, then don't pile on.

Everyone is entitled to like or not like a movie. Just be honest while showing appreciation at the invitation and the time with that person.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends.
    If the person is my closest friend, then yes, I'm honest. If I didn't like the movie, I just tell him/ her the truth. But I don't say, that the movie is stupid (even though I find it absolutely ridiculous/pathetic). I just say, ')"IDK.. I didn't like the movie. I didn't like the story, it was kind of boring/ the actors were terrible, lol"

If they aren't my closest friends, then I choose to be polite... XD

If it's my family member. "What the heck did you just make me watch!! I feel like I've wasted 2 precious hours of my life! The movie was so ridiculous! 😒😠"

What Guys Said 2

• Instead of saying it was 'stupid', I would prefer to say something like "I found it pretty ordinary, but maybe it's just me".

• Not really just don't expect them to ever pay for you ticket again.

What Girls Said 8

• If they enjoyed the movie, I don't recommend calling it stupid. Just say it wasn't really your thing. You can be honest, but also be polite.

• I would tell the truth but downplay my full impression, like, it wasn't my favorite or I usually like (the star) more. Or just "eh" when asked what you thought. I also would try to feel out how the other person felt about it. If they hated it then feel fee to after.

• If I didn't like it, I would say things like "It was nice" or "It was good" to sound polite and thankful for their kind gesture.
    In contrast to if I liked the movie, I would say, "It was amazing!" "Seriously, thanks for taking me!"
    See the difference?
    I'm not completely faking that I liked it, but at least I'm making it sound that I found the movie average instead of stupid.

• No it's not rude. If you don't like the movie , you just don't.

• No why would it be rude, it's just a movie.

• Not rude. I've done that before and they never seem to care.

• I would honestly tell them how i feel about the movie.

• No... not at alll