If cheater killed themselves after you break up with them, are you to blame?

I think not but a friend is dealing with this at the moment.

Several months ago when she found her boyfriend was cheating, she broke it off and wanted nothing to do with him. No matter how he kept insisting and begging or bringing flowers, she wanted nothing.

He ended up hanging himself because he couldn't live with how he hurt her and didn't want to lose her.. basically if he couldn't have her back in his life then life meant nothing to him. Obviously she's been devastated to hear and is wondering if she has some blame to it?

• No, she did nothing
    91% (32)92% (23)92% (55)Vote
  • Some blame
    9% (3)8% (2)8% (5)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
She's still shocked because she and all of us had no idea he would go that far.

0|0
12|10

Most Helpful Guy

• He was the one to blame for cheating on her

3|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Usually when someone kills themselves they have many personal issues. It is never just one specific incident or situation which causes them to commit suicide. It is much more deep rooted than that. The person who has ended their life is fully responsible for their own actions, because they had a choice , and they chose to end their life rather than deal with their emotional issues in other ways.

Your friend should not have to be burdened will the guilt, she did nothing wrong. If someone wants to end their life, then nothing will prevent them doing so. Even if her boyfriend did not hang himself when he did, he probably would have carried it out at some other time.

People who commit suicide don't really want to end their life... they want to end their emotional suffering, so he was probably deeply troubled with many issues , over long - term which your friend was probably unaware of. It is extremely sad!

People who end their life leave behind a lot of pain and heartache, because the people who love and care about them feel guilty and wonder if they could have prevented it, but in reality no one could have.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 9

• While this situation is very sad she is not to blame. He cheated on her so she ended the relationship with him. She was not to know he was going to do that. She is not responsible for his actions, she can't be. Not her fault at all.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, she isn't to blame.

1|0
    0|0
  • How the hell it's her fault?

2|0
    0|0
  • he shouldn't have cheated.

3|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's her fault that he was so weak...

2|0
    0|0
  • Unless she actually told him to kill himself, which I highly doubt, she is not to blame.

0|0
    0|0
  • He made his choices so she is not to blame.

0|0
    0|0
  • this is what happens when subhuman looking, unaesthetic guy doesn't have other choice.

1|0
    0|0
    • How did he "not have a choice"? He had a girlfriend who loved him. He betrayed her and cheated with another girl. Then he killed himself. Those were all HIS choices.

• She is not to blame for what she did to him when she caught him cheating. However, despite what people think, people do not simply wake up one day and decide to commit suicide. There are warning signs such as severe depression, and talk of it that surface years earlier. There is no way that your friend and those close to him didn't see it.

So did your frinds actions after she caught him cheating cause this? No. Did her inaction to at least try to get him the help he needs contribute? Yes. That is probably not what you want to hear but it is the truth.

1|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 11

• No way. In my opinion, no one should ever stay with a cheater or give any second chances to a cheater. In this situation the girl is smart, it's a good thing she broke up and refused to take him back. He was a scumbag.

The only one that can be blamed for the suicide is the guy himself. He made a huge mistake, of course there'll be consequences. Obviously he was too weak to handle such consequences. But he also wasn't mentally healthy, no sane person would committ suicide over that.

Suicide is a sad thing but the girl should not feel guilty. It was in NO WAY her fault. Period.

5|0
    0|0
  • How the heck would that ever be her fault? He couldn't live without her SO much that he cheated on her? Bullshit. He made his decisions. She isn't responsible for them.

4|0
    0|1
  • She did notning wrong. And pls continue to assure her. We are responsible for our own actions and he chose to end his life so.. who is to blame especially he did wrong first

2|0
    0|0
  • I agree with @Applefan1 ~ horrible situation, but your friend is in no way responsible for what her ex did.

2|0
    0|1
  • Can't say I blame her. That dude wasn't in a right state of mind.

1|1
    0|0
  • No she's not to blame, she did her bit by leaving someone who betrayed her trust. As sad as it, but she's not responsible for his own actions...

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Entirely his doing.

2|0
    0|0
  • she isn't to be blamed at all since she didn't do anything wrong.. she reacted the same way any girl being cheated on would react

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's only their fault. One for taking their own life, and two, for hurting their significant other.

0|0
    0|0
  • She did nothing wrong. He was the one who screwed things up.

0|0
    0|0
  • she broke up because HE cheated... if he can't handle hrting her then he shoudlnt have done it

1|0
    0|0