Would you learn your boyfriend/girlfriend's language if the both of you don't have a common language to communicate?

My sister's friend is a Taiwanese and did not understand English, her boyfriend (when they just met the guy was a friend of the girl's friend) went to learn Mandarin just so that they could communicate without needing a translator.
If one day, say you fell in love with this guy/girl but both don't have a language that could enable communication, would you be willing to learn the language?

Please specify your explanation for choosing yes/no, thank you :)

• Yes I will
  • No I will not

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure, I'm always willing to learn any language, I love it. If this happened to me, I'd have a very good reason (or excuse xD) to learn a new one.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I would. I mean, I don't see why not in doing so? Learning a new language will always benefit me anyways. But that being said, if I'm learning his mother tongue or whatever languages he speaks, I'd expect him to at least help a little when I ask for some help.

What Guys Said 8

• I actually tried to learn Romanian, Japanese and Russian just for communication purpose with friends. Nothing this far though.

• I'd try. Knowing another language could come in handy in the future too.

• I doubt I'd be in love with her if we never actually communicated... at best it would be lust. If I already like the language then I'd consider learning it.

• I'm a polyglot, but I am very open to learning new languages. It wouldn't bother me at all.

• I don't think I could fall in love with a girl i can't talk to. But if she knew enough to have conversations, then I would learn her language yeah xD

• I doubt I'd have actually gotten into a relationship in the first place if I can't communicate with them. There's only so far you can get with gestures and smiling at each other.

• @bubbletrouble would u babe? I've alrdy learned urs 💋

• Most definitely not!

• I mean if she doesn't speak either Norwegian or English why would I bother with that person.

What Girls Said 5

• I still have a husband out in Egypt, @Athena13 and when I first met him online four years ago, his English was very limited. I helped him learn more in store, and went I went over to be with him, later going over again to tie the knot, I was in the midst of learning Arabic and together we helped one another.
    Good luck. xx

• Well, we would have to have some common language to communicate first, even a little. Communication is big for me to fall in love with someone. It's not about looks for me, I connect mentally. But yes, I would learn his language. I love learning new languages, plus I can maybe learn more about his culture and history as well.

• I love any chance to learn a new language! But I definitely would for love, as it would show him that I'm serious about him :)

• Of course. Only makes sense...

• But how do I fall in love without being able to communicate ;o...