Has anyone overcome childhood trauma and long-term depression?

It still affects me to this day. I wanna move on. How? It's like a cloud over my head every day, I can't stop thinking negatively. My self esteem is extremely low and I'm terrified of failure, I'm always in my little bubble, I don't go out of my comfort zone. I keep thinking how I hate my parents and how I'm like this because of them, I keep telling myself I Fucking hate them so much.

I just can't seem to move on. How do I do it? Has anyone done it? It's eating me up and I need to be free of the shackles.

Most Helpful Girl

• the best way to overcome it, is to let it go. no matter what they did u just gotta accept that it happened and not dwell on it. forgiveness maybe, if you can. if not, then just block them out and don't let them bring you down any more then they already have. its not easy, but i promise its worth it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am in a similar boat as you. Long story short they sabatoged me in most every respect until I did not have the confidence to move forward. I eventual gave in and just gave up, I took a crappy stock room job that I despised and worked there for 8-9 years with the only reason being so that I wouldn't die of stravation. That was my only goal just not die. I then snapped, I quit the job I got a part time job (had to have roomates) and whent back to school and am trying to fix my life. The only thing I can say that is working for me is not hating your parents. They might deserve it (I feel like mine do) but that is wasted energy. Every moment you think about how much you hate them your not thinking of a solution to the problem. You need to push your self out of your comfort zone little by little (or all in if your up to it). I was a little inspired by the art of war. In it they mention how when the soldiers cross a river and fight in battle they don't fight with all they have because they know they can always retreat so what you do is burn the bridge that they crossed over, with no where to run they have no choice but to fight to the death making them fight harder then they ever had before. So maybe its time you start burning bridges, give yourself no room to retreat so that the only path you have is the one in front of you.
    So what exactly is it that you want to do that you can't seem to move beyond?

What Girls Said 2

• it took years of therapy for me to move past it, but I did it and you can too!

• Counseling helped me so much, i highly recommend it. It helps to talk to someone and find ways to move on...

What Guys Said 0