Is the fear of rejection the reason why you wouldn't show that you like someone?

Would someone really hide their feelings and play it cool just because they are afraid of being rejected? It's hard to tell when there are signs that show that he/she likes you but at the same time can mean that he/she doesn't like you (main example: avoiding the person of interest).

Most Helpful Guy

• That was never my reason. I was more concerned with getting involved with someone who was unsuitable. Just because I like a woman I am not foolish enough to think we would get along in a relationship. Women tend to get very attached to me and then there is the problem of extracting yourself from a situation you should never have gotten into.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was very interested in a guy at my church but he got a girlfriend recently. there was another guy I was interested in and he is also taken. I guess when you are a man and very religious, you usually have a long line up of people who want to date you.

What Guys Said 4

• The fear of rejection is what keeps people single

• No, not at all. I always take a chance and have (but always got turned down).

I have other problems holding me back (which I'm addressing in therapy).

• I think so, but even worse than that is no reaction at all.

• Yes this is absolutely the number one reason people hide their feelings and are not as up-front about it with someone they like. Everyone's scared of rejection, what I would give to have some kind of sixth sense where I could tell who liked me and who did not like me.

What Girls Said 1

• yes it is.