Christians, do you believe that even if someone did not believe in God or Christianity, could they still get into Heaven?

I'm an atheist, because I'm still searching for something to believe in. And this is probably a stupid question. But could someone like me, an atheist, still get into Heaven if they weren't Christian? Like if they still had good values and did good things, but not TO get into Heaven, but just to do it. Could one still get into Heaven?

• Of course, Max, you stupid idiot!
  • Nah, nah, get your facts right bud.
  • Other (Plz explain)

Most Helpful Girl

• As a Christian, God and Jesus must be accepted and followed and loved and trusted. That simply means that you will be saved and forgiven and guided in the right direction through life and given eternal life in heaven after earthly death. As an atheist, you must at least accept the fact that you need someone (not a false idol) to guide you. You don't particularly have to believe in God or go to church or many other things Christians do to be able to go to Heaven. It is a tricky situation, though. It's hard for me to describe my point of view on this without it sounding like I'm contradicting myself.

If you're against going to church and believing in God, just try to be a good person and stay away from sin. Do your best to abide by the Ten Commandments and you should be safe. If you're open to Christianity, I say go for it. Don't hold back. Visit a church and do some research and don't limit your options. You might even want to speak to a preacher first to see if there's a certain denomination that might suit you better than the others. If, however, you just simply want to stay away from religion and aren't concerned about going to Heaven, still try to abide by the Ten Commandments and you'll be happy later on that you did.

Now for the piece that makes everything I just said look useless: the Bible says you must accept and love and trust God as your Savior to earn your way to Heaven. You must repent and forgive and live by the Bible.

Sooo... any questions?

Most Helpful Guy

• Christianity teaches that humans are inherently evil because of Adam's (the first man) rebellious sin. Because we are descendants of Adam, all humans are born with sin and there is nothing we can do to earn our salvation. The price for sin is death and eternal damnation.

To give us a chance for redemption, God the Father sent his son Jesus to live a sinless life and pay the price of death on the cross for us. That's how we are able to get to heaven. Instead of us being damned, Jesus died in our place. And because he was a perfect sinless man God accepted the sacrifice. So now we are able to have salvation by acknowledging and trusting in Jesus. We recognize we need Him in our lives and He is the one and only way we are getting into heaven.

This world is always concerned with good deeds, being "good enough" of a person. But the Bible says that the very best we can do on our own is nothing more than filthy rags compared to God's righteousness. Atheists and any other kind of nonbeliever has to admit they are evil and wretched by themselves. Most people have too much of an ego to admit it. But the Christian recognizes that any goodness we have in our lives is owed to Jesus, not us. We can never be "good enough" to get to heaven because God's standard is perfection. We are imperfect beings, but we can still be saved by trusting in the One who was perfect. Jesus paid the price of sin for us so that we can be redeemed by His precious blood, not by our own efforts.

You can still go to heaven, but you must change your mind about how you are going to get there. Not by your own works, but by recognizing that Jesus is the only way you're getting there. That's the only thing you have to "do yourself", is change your mind about Christ. The thief on the cross next to Jesus realized this, in his dying moments the thief knew he deserved his death, but he also knew that through Christ he could be saved from Hell. Now as a person who is still alive, you don't have to wait until your deathbed to change your mind. And even after you do change your mind and are saved, God is going to be working on your spirit to make you "a better person" so to speak, for His purpose. But becoming a better person still is not what saves you. That's what comes *after* salvation.

Hope this gave you some more insight.

• Anon,
      "Christianity teaches that humans are inherently evil because of Adam's (the first man) rebellious sin. Because we are descendants of Adam, all humans are born with sin and there is nothing we can do to earn our salvation."
      There's a little problem of chronology with that theory: it was only developed by the first 'church fathers' after the year zero, 2nd or 3d century (from a few verses in the OT). Thus Jesus could not have known that theory.

• @jacquesvol No that is the Genesis story, Genesis was not part of the new testament it is in the old testament. Jesus and all other jews at the time knew that theory. They also knew that God had long foretold of a coming Savior who was going to redeem them.

What Girls Said 11

• According to the Christian bible... you must accept Christ into your heart as your Savior in order to get into Heaven. That would involve believing in Him. If you accept Him into your heart, and do good deeds through Him He will cloak you in His righteousness when you stand before God and He will take on your sins of the world so that you stand pure before God and will be accepted into heaven.

At least, that is my understanding of it.

• Lol lots of things for me to do then

• Total number killed by God in the Bible
      - Using biblical numbers only: 2,821,364
      - With estimates: 25 million - See more at: dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.be/.../...-bible.html

• @Prettygurl12 That's Paulinist interpretation. The NT says explicitly that the Laws of the OT aren't changed:
      Matthew 5:18-19 , Luke 16:17 and Matthew 5:17 are clear
      and 2 Peter 20-21 says interppretation is invalid. Thus Paul's interpretation too.

• Here's my understanding. Hell is not a punishment for bad people or anything like that. Hell is simply an absence of God. That's why it's a place of sin and torment. Just like heaven is the presence of God, which is why it's full of perfection and joy. That in mind, hell is not a place that God sends sinners to punish them. Those who reject God go there because God is finally letting him have their wish, and leaving them alone.

• With Christianity, the big thing is accepting Christ as your Lord and Savior. It's kind hard to do that if you don't even believe that he exists. And in addition to that is living your life in a way that is pleasing to God. Not saying that you have to be perfect, because no one is and God knows that. We're all guilty of sin but when you accept Christ as your Savior, that sin is washed away.

I suggest you do some research. Talk to some people. Maybe visit a church. But you should also try to know God for yourself. There's only so much a person can tell you.

• My boyfriend is Muslim, and he's always telling me he wants me to reconvert because he wants me to be in the afterlife with him. I tell him, that if there's a God, I don't think he'll banish me to hell for being a good person. I believe I'm a good person. I don't plan to hurt, kill or rape anyone. I try to help who I can. I donate to UNICEF. I don't litter. I talk to people when they're sad. I gave a homeless lady my boots once. And if wanting to have a drink at a party or smoking or wearing yoga pants is going to land me in hell, you tell me if there's a God or not? I do believe that there's some sort of greater being.

• Well, its really not that easy I've read the bible (one I can finally understand) and there are so many things a person has to understand before going into heaven. Im sure that if you dont believe in God then you can't get into heaven. I remember reading a passage, not sure which verse, but it says something along the lines of "Whoever denies me on earth, will be denied in heaven" I believe this is true, and thats why I will NEVER deny him he's blessed me with so much and has taught me so much I am forever grateful for that!

• No you can't. You have to believe in God, and you have to claim him as your Lord & Savior. Once your saved God don't really care about your actions. It's all about your heart. He only wants access to your heart. So no. You have to believe in him.

• I think it's better if you do good things to be good, rather than do them to get into heaven.

• I'm christian and if you read the bible only people who accept Jesus Christ into their hearts are accepted into Heaven.

You can't just say "Oh yes I believe!" then live ungodly ( drugs, sex, false gods etc) then still think you will be accepted.

• No, that's not what I meant. Or maybe. What I mean is like: if I don't believe in Jesus Christ, but I do good things anyways, can I still get into Heaven?

• Sadly no. No matter how good you are, if you don't love Jesus you can't get into Heaven...

• Aww dangggg

I'll keep that in mind

• There is this place called Purgatory :)

• People back in the old days thought if right before you die you believe in god you will ho to heaven

• Hi Max! So Christians believe that there is no number of good works that you can do that will earn you a place in Heaven. In fact, there is nothing you can do on your own to get into heaven.
    So that's a little depressing, sure, but the story ends well.
    When Jesus died, he took on the sins of the world, past, present and future. He gave them his righteousness so that when they die, they can look at God and say, "I did nothing to deserve Heaven because I have sinned. It's human nature. But I'm with Him. Jesus died so that I could stand here now."
    So if you were to believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that He came to save the earth, and if you start a real relationship with Him, you could get into Heaven.
    If you are interested, look up Matthew 19:16-26. This is commonly known as the Parable of the Rich Young Man. The man went to Jesus to learn about how to learn eternal life. Jesus tells him to keep the 10 Commandments. The man then says that he has done that since he was a child and wants to know if there is anything else he has to do. Jesus looks at him and tells him to sell his possessions, give the money away, and follow Him as a disciple. The young man could give up his possessions, so he walked away sadly.
    The point of all of this is that there is nothing we can do that will make us righteous in the eyes of God. The only thing we can do is follow Christ, who gives us life and freedom and who is our Redeemer and Savior.

What Guys Said 12

• Some who is searching for something to believe in is not what an atheist is. An atheist is someone who knows there's nothing to believe in and that we are just hairless monkeys.

If there is a God in the bible sense of the word I believe that the only thing he cares about is wether you're genuinely good or not.

• I see. Well, I don't know what to call myself ATM.

• @jacquesvol perhaps I didn't express myself right. I can see the importance of religion and I can see why people believe in it but I just cannot accept something without evidence.

• @Whoooooooooo I too see the historic importance of religion: it helped to build society by giving the first laws, health principles, judges, social security, psychotherapists when the human society was still "in its cradle". Religion had a great role in shaping primitive tribes into society. For these people then deities were the cops who made them accept necessary rules.
      Even today, many people find important support in their beliefs.
      For these and back then much more believing had/has it's importance. The Greek like Epicurus, the old Romans and Nietzsche did not change that. They just came to the conclusion it had changed. Emperors Constantine and Theodosius did like older despots, they used religion for their aims. They certainly weren't the last to do that.

• Strange one for me since I believe there is no afterlife ( I am an atheist )- If I did find out there was an afterlife I would go wow X religion was right or is there paraells afterlifes for each religion since I was christened catholic does that mean I go to catholic heaven or hell - Maybe they let me pick whichever one I wanted - I better do a bit of research and see which religion offers best afterlife just in case I was wrong.

• I am muslim it's not our thing to decide but in the normal basis and the normal thing that happens is no if u r an atheist u can't enter heaven coz it would be unfair that someone who didn't believe in God and someone who did to be equal he followed god's rules so god will give him heaven

• People who don't believe do NOT go to 'Heaven'.

People who believe don't go to 'Heaven' either.
    How could one get to some non existent place? Only by dreaming or hallucinating.

• I dunno. The one question we cannot truly answer, my friend! What happens after we die!

I just hope for SOMETHING besides complete nothingness or Hell.

• I've heard a old biblical saying... If your a atheist and about to die in plane crash
    and yell out the words Oh My God , i hear your soul is saved if you shall die in
    that plane crash.. They say, if shall call his name you shall be saved.

• You don't sound like an atheist. You sound like an agnostic. Have you ever stopped to ask yourself why you "need" something to believe in? Believe in yourself and you won't need to hang onto any other belief system for comfort.

• Isn't an agnostic an atheist?

• No, agnostic means you believe there is no evidence for God, but that doesn't mean you don't believe there could be a God. Atheist means there is no God and you're certain about that.

• I'm not certain about anything

• No because a person's sins are too great to overcome without the blood of our Lord and Savior.

• Other, i am an atheist too, I am just here too look at results.

• Other, God literally does not exist.

• Not all who say Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven but those who do the will of my father.

• Literally LOL-ed after reading some of these responses.

• Meh. I don't know. Not for me to decide.