Had anyone thought you were of an ethnicity but you're not?

For example you're a Korean but they thought you are a Japanese.

0|0
18|23

Most Helpful Guy

• I have Asiatic gene in dominance so, my friends (Indians) say I'm
    -Chinese
    -Japanese
    -Korean

But when I ask foreigners, they say I'm Indian.

When I didn't have my pic here on GAG some people used to think that I'm black and lots of people used to think that I'm White American or German.

LOL this is hilarious 😂

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Uhh the only thing people could get it right is that I'm Asian, well, the Asian genes are too strong lol!

I've had people saying I'm an Indian (which is, partly true), I'm a Latina, a Mexican (skin colour they say 😒), and White because I'm too 'pale' according to them. I just tell them I'm mixed and that's it, too lazy to repeat it everytime. -.-

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 22

• Yes, in fact it's terrible. I'm in Japan now and everyone speaks Japanese to me. When I am in Korea, well, you guessed it, they talk to me as if I am Korean.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've had people think i'm American, Scottish and English... I tend to pick up accents, overall people tend to think i'm American. I'm reality i'm just a well spoken Irishman.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am frequently mistake from being from England or Australia due to my accent that I sometimes have because of my speech lessons when I was younger.

I'm actually just from Jersey.

1|0
    0|0
  • People think I'm Mexican all of the time even though I'm black >_<

1|0
    0|0
    • thats racist, mexicans can be black too if they want to

• Show All
    • It's called being a blaxican dude ^^

• @I_am_repulsive Sounds about right.. I want Blasian babies 1 day #RandomMistFact ^_^

• People think I'm either Vietnamese, Taiwanese, and/or Chinese, but I'm actually 3/4 Asian (Filipino & Spanish) and 1/4 German. Genetics failed me really bad... I should have been more whiter; my siblings and my cousins are...

1|0
    0|0
  • For some reason everyone I meet thinks I am Spanish

1|0
    0|0
  • Even Japanese have difficulties telling themselves apart from Koreans sometimes. It happens all the time. And yeah it happens a lot to me whenever I am travelling abroad.

1|0
    0|0
    • No, Japanese and Koreans look way different, and I am not from both countries which makes me surprised that people confuse the two.
      However, SOME Chinese and Korean can sometimes look the same due to some immigrations that happened between the 2 countries in the past.

• @BlueSJ You realize that Japan had occupied Korea before and some of them are actually mixed? I have friends from both countries and they told me it is difficult for them at times (not always but sometimes).

• Yes, I know, but still it is not difficult to tell.
      I have friends from both countries, and they said they can tell who is who. Of course there is always the exception of mixed children, but they are not the majority if you speak in general.

• Haitian
    Dominican
    Jamaican
    Trinidadian
    And a lot more other countries in the Caribbean. Even some in Africa.

1|0
    0|0
  • Some thought I was Hispanic.

1|0
    0|0
  • I get Vietnamese all the time.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've been asked if I was a Slav in the past even though I don't have one Slavic ancestor that I know of.

1|0
    0|0
  • Mexican, but often mistaken for Hawaiian and on occasion, Filipino.

1|0
    0|0
  • they think im russian greek italian german

1|0
    0|0
  • Happens all the time. People think I'm white like American or British 😁 but I'm not even close

1|0
    0|0
  • No, not really. I've always known I was white. Granted, I didn't come from a rich family, though. But we weren't really poor. If we were middle class, we were in the lower echelon of the middle class. As a single guy in my own house, I'm slightly above where my parents were, but still not rich.

0|0
    0|1
  • People mistake me for being samoan sometimes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nop, I don't see people mistaking it XD

0|0
    0|0
  • I've gotten Hawaiian from my Last name lol. They've asked me if I was Hawaiian lol

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's pretty obvious af that I'm Indian

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm white but I'm also Russian and Italian. My moms side comes from Russia while my dads side is from Italy. I was born in the u. s. Though

0|0
    0|0
  • Irish American. Pass for swede and norwegian.

0|0
    0|0
  • American... I'm not. I'm Asian.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 17

• Yes.. Spanish.
    When I lived in New York, many Spanish and India people always regarded me as "Spanish" for some reason.
    I am actually German, French, Dutch, Irish, Polish and English but I must have had this certain look that gave them the impression that I could add Latino to the list. lol
    Good luck. xx

1|0
    0|0
  • ALL THE TIME.

Spanish
    dominican
    italian
    puerto rican
    hispanic
    lebanese

lol no no no. :P

1|1
    0|2
    • Wow all of those lol, And for the longest time I did think you were Aboriginal since you were from Australia lol

• Show All
    • Why would you go from a big ol island to a small island? O_O

• because I'm all about that island life, big or small.. lol :P @ihav2fart

• media0.giphy.com/media/FGUqEcDphjKda/giphy.gif

I have been mistaken for...
    Mediterranean
    Iranian
    Half Pakistani
    Half Indian
    Jordanian
    South African
    Brazilian
    Jamaican
    Israeli
    Hispanic
    Half Māori
    Half Native American
    Lebanese

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, especially after I moved.
    Guess I don't look like
    a typical person from my country.

1|1
    0|0
    • you look white? :P

• @Toad-1 My skin color yes, but my features like hair and eye color are dark. What I meant, though, is that people here never guessed my country (Well, not many people know the country anyway lol) maybe because of my style too.

• Sounds like a nice mix ;)

• I've get asked if I'm part Asian all the time because of my eyes lol. And I've gotten Dominican a few times as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • Many people asked me if I was Albanian XD. When clearly I am Mexican haha.

2|0
    0|0
  • The most common one was Brazilian but I do get indian from time to time. Both of which make no sense cause I don't think I look like either

1|0
    0|0
  • People for some reason think i'm Mexican? I'm Chinese and Hawaiian -_-

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, all the time.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am singaporean but i got mistaken as korean japanese taiwanese

1|0
    0|0
  • everyone in america, japan and korea thinks i'm japanese. once in awhile i'll get part russian.

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course! Most people think I indian or black carribean

1|0
    0|0
  • yup!
    - Spanish
    - Brazilian
    - North American
    -.-

1|0
    0|0
  • I was asked if i was middle eastern.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm Australian but everyone thinks I'm English or American.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm dutch.
    I had all kinds of people saying i don't look Dutch. (i'm half polish maybe that explains why)
    Most people told me they thought i would be from: Iceland, Germany, Austria..

0|0
    0|0
  • I am Indonesian and people thought I am a Japanese or from Thailand...

1|0
    0|0