Why do people believe in God?

I think it's because they're scared. I'm an agnostic, and it's not really by choice. I think we have no way of knowing if there's a higher being or not, but I don't have a belief to him/her/it. If I said I did, I'd just be lying to myself. I just don't feel it.

Most Helpful Guy

• People can't understand certain aspects of live and the universe and are afraid of death, so they have invented a creature that made everything to fill up the holes. And I'm the same as you sometimes — I identify as an atheist and I make fun of or debunk religion a lot, but sometimes I wish I was dumber and could just believe in it all so that I would not have to face the sickening thought of eternal unconsciousness.

Most Helpful Girl

• - passed on from generation to generation as fact
    - gives solace to some
    - gives meaning and purpose to life to some
    - IS the meaning and purpose of life to some

I don't think people believe in a god because they're consciously scared. Humans in general don't like the idea of the unknown, so we come up with a bunch of shit to fill in those gaps, hence why we have so many urban legends and folk tales for things that can easily be explained by today's science (or just common sense).

What Guys Said 25

• Well the simple answer is we're biologically wired to be born believers in God from birth.

I'm a Christian precisely because i reasoned this belief and it's the only belief that gives an account of reality and our basis for logic.

“Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It’s like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London. But if I can’t trust my own thinking, of course I can’t trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God.” - c. s lewis

• primarily, people believe in a god because they want to. Life is scary. Death is even scarier. It would be comforting if there was some force in the universe that could assure that we didn't live in a random and indeterminate for which the only certainty was death, and that death was not the end. This problem of life and death is largely due to our imaginations - if we couldn't imagine death or imagine the complexities of life, it wouldn't bother us. But we can, so it does bother some of us.

However, it is only our imaginations that inflict this pain on us. That's a good thing, sort of, because an imaginary problem can be sufficiently corrected with an imaginary solution. Enter religion.

The problems caused by religions usually have to do with the fact that they are imaginary, but the people who follow them are desperately seeking some validation of them in reality. On some level, they all know that just because millions of other people also believe it, doesn't mean it's true. So they look for signs by winning wars, passing laws, and (failing that) interpreting the shapes of clouds...

• short answer: to each their own

• I don't believe in God because I'm scared at all. I choose to believe in God because to me it is the most rational and logical option to choose from. Anyone who tells you that they can prove God doesn't exist or does not need to exist is lying to you. There is no evidence, and never will be evidence, that can entirely disprove God or prove God. Hence the faith part.

Personally, I love science and all things related to it. Because of that I started studying various aspects of evolution, formation of the world, "the beginning" so to speak and found, for me at least, that a supreme being to be an entirely logical hypothesis for me to believe over any other hypothesis. Based on that, I have grown in my belief in God to a more spiritual level. If you or anyone else chooses to make a rational decision not to believe in God, then I have zero problem with you. I do have a problem with both irrational religious and unreligious people.

• I'm an atheist but I think that the large majority of it is how your brought up. If you are brought up to believe in any of the many deities then you will as you don't know any other way to believe. Eg if a person is told that he has to go to church every Sunday, pray before he eats, pray before he eats then he is constanly told that god is real and should be worshipped. This is extra strong as if you are in a household that is strongly religious then they would never mention alternate theories so you won't even realise there is any other way of being.

I have experience with this as though I wasn't brought up religious I went to catholic school from when i started school to when I was around 10 and we had RE every day. This meant the idea of a god was imprinted on my mind and it was something I just accepted as fact as I wasn't taught otherwise. It was only once I left that school and became old enough to think for myself (around 13) that I realised how little sense it makes.

Hope this helped :)

• The oldest and perhaps most powerful emotion is fear
    people seek security in whatever means available to them.

For some, that security is the entity they refer to as "god".

• They are socialized to believe that "God" exists from a very early age, so they take it for granted and don't question it; or if they do question it, then they meet retaliation from their family, if it is true then they will have to be afraid of going to Hell, and their loss of faith is often attributed to a "test devised by God to see if you truly believe in him or not".

So there are a whole bunch of mind games placed out carefully to prevent people from "straying" from the church.

• I firmly believe gods/goddesses/religions were invented by man because of his fear of his own mortality. Nothing more.

• It does not matter what you feel, because true scientist would not take your question seriously; they already know God exist. All things are logically inconceivable without a God, if something comes to existence it has a cause. Thinking about this cause come to startling conclusions; physical laws are a description usually mathematical, but these laws do not create the sun, or the planet earth or east or west; it is not creative. The laws of physics did not cause anything to happen, it's obvious we need both a God and physical laws in order to give a complete description, they compliment one another, God is the ground of all explanation. Also materials are not produced by laws... like our planet.

• For a few reason

It's a way to give hope to a very hopeless life... I mean we still have no idea why we are here, where we came from and where we are going... god helps to give humans comfort in difficult times... humans are very confused in general, so religion and God helps to give us direction as to how to live

But none of these means it's true, it's just a story as of now with no real proof of its existence,.. like a fairytale made to help kids fall asleep at night

• if you´ve been brought up to believe it and allways lived in a society who all think this way, you are likely to also believe it.

• I believe in the Abrahamic God, because I think the Bible is well-supported enough to be a documentation of historical fact.

• I think it's cause they're scared as well, but if it comforts them, then let them believe. We all need support, after all.

I myself don't believe in a God, but I do believe that things happen for a reason.

• For me it has nothing to do with fear. It has to do with love. Through the stories and accounts written down.

• Why shouldn't they?

• Because people are stupid and need something to give them hope and to explain what they don't understand.

• Good for you.

• well its culturally taught to believe in religions

• and you dont scared than God?

• Why don't people believe in God? Almost the same question.

• Humans feel more special than other creatures because of our brain power. We also feel that we must be divine, should live forever and are easily swayed by stories of eternal living. Most religious people are indoctrinated into religion. We also are not biologically wired to believe in any one god. We are thinkers and manipulators.

• It is called faith, faith pleases God.

• Cause they are stupid

• Some are scared, some are brainwashed, some don't have choice, some get hope... to each their own.

• I'd like to believe there is but I don't know what to think and could use help now , some people tell me to put Jesus or God in my life and I'm still trying to figure out how

What Girls Said 7

• "because they're scared" thats a bit rude lol. I believe in god because I feel god, and have a connection to god. You won't feel god until you have full, undisputed faith in him. I know because I used to be an athiest until I opened my mind/heart to god

• Fear of the unknown, in my opinion. Some people can't handle ambiguity and religion is a good way to get rid of that. I don't believe in it because I don't feel the need to, but if it helps someone else sleep at night, all power to 'em.

• You're the first person I've come across
      who'd mention "fear of the unknown" as the reason.

Never thought I'd see the day. ^.^

• @Aizou Just what I think, love.

• A lot of people find it comforting.. it gives them a sense of meaning, something to devote their lives to, etc. I was raised Christian but am now agnostic/atheist, so I kind of get it.. but as I got older I personally began to find the idea of God actually uncomforting and I felt like my life was less meaningful serving some god than living on my own terms..

To each their own as long as they're not hurting anyone, I say.

• They believe it for the same reason you're agnostic. It makes sense to them, suits the life they want, and brings meaning.

• Because I think there's something more than science. I'm not scared, but science is boring when it applies to death and what happens after.

• Because religion taught us to believe in God.

• It's nice to have something to believe in and hope for. I don't believe Christianity is really "fear driven". People will have faith in what they want, whether they believe there is or isn't a deity. I mean, why can't there be a place after death or a God who reigns? The real problem is that since no one was there at the beginning of the earth no one can really know for sure. Christians believe the Bible and evidence supports creationism, and really, a Godly creation isn't against science. The world is far too orderly to have come about by chance in my opinion.

I mean, if you blow a bomb up in a pile of legos is an orderly universe and planets going to form? And most mutated creatures are hindered by their mutations and end up dying, not evolving into some better creature.