Non-religious G@Gers: if atheism were to be the norm and some governments pass laws limiting the rights of religious people, would you fight for them?

Atheism Republic posted this on Facebook and it got quite a few interesting answers. I definitely would.

• Yes
  • No
  • Unsure
  • I'm religious
  • See results

Most Helpful Girl

• It would depend on what they are limiting.
    As long as i could go to church whenever i wanted and pray whenever i wanted i wouldn't particularly care. As long as a government wasn't telling me what to believe in.
    But i don't get what you mean exactly by limiting?

• Can be anything. E. g. all politicians must be atheists, no one is allowed to bear religious symbols outside of their own house, baptising is illegal, religious people aren't allowed in Starbucks or in the army, this is all off the top of my head

• I feel like the only way for any country that is multi-cultural or diverse in other ways to function well, is if the government is hardcore on maintaining that everyone is treated equally and given the same rights (like the right to religion, marriage or whatever).

Most Helpful Guy

• Course. Some people have a misconception about me. My enemy isn't religion, it's ignorance and indoctrination.

If all you've done is grow up and were brainwashed into believing something, be it Christianity, Atheism, whatever, I will not respect your belief.

But, if you've truly grappled with your belief, questioned it, fought with it and entertained the notion that it COULD be wrong, if you've really fought with it to see if it TRULY fit you, only THEN will I respect your belief.

People who just mindlessly parrot what someone told them years ago when they were a child are pathetic to me.

I doubly respect someone who not only questions their belief, but actually went around to study other beliefs before making their choice. It doesn't matter what belief you chose, even one COMPLETELY opposite of mine, I will respect it.

And trust me, I will KNOW if you are parroting, I've been doing this for a while.

What Girls Said 2

• If I were not religious I still would. It never stops there - censorship and freedom limiting just expands like a cancer...

• One of the most beautiful things about our country is the freedom to believe in what you want to believe. If this was taken away, I would fight for the law that prohibited religion to be repealed. If it was not, I would move to a more free place.

• Do you live in the US? That sounds kind of delusional to me, there is theoretical freedom of religion there but atheists are one of the most hated groups in practice and don't even have all of the rights Christians have in some states.

• also prohibits*

• Sorry, my tired brain made plenty of typos in that post. I mean to say, "a group being hated still does not mean that they are not free"

What Guys Said 13

• yes. everyone deserves the right to free expression, even if i disagree with that expression. free speech includes speech you may not like or agree with but it's wrong and hypocritical to cherry pick what you want and then say to hell with the rest of it.

• Depends on the religion, and what they are up against.

I mean, I sure would not mind a law that prohibits male genital mutilation (circumcision), even though it conflicts the ancient traditions of the Islamists and the people of Judaism.

I also wouldn't mind a law that says parents are not allowed to deny an emergency blood transfusion procedure just because their Jehovah's Witnesses religion says so, and could even charge them with murder attempt.

Basically, if we're preventing them from mutilating, harassing, and killing other people; then I think it's good riddance that their "religion" (read: system of beliefs) doesn't give them a free pass to decide the lives of other people for the worse.

• of course, I would fight for them.

• Yes I would.
    I believe atheism is a choice and cannot be forced on others, otherwise it becomes anti-theism which is something I hate just as much as religious bigotry.

• It is striking how many of the "non-religious" have ideologies that are themselves quasi-religious.

• Of course! Why would I want to do to others what is currently attempted to do to me?

• Definitely. I don't believe in any religion but I'm against none of them.

• That's because you don't know enough about some of them.

• @Mesonfielde If government passes laws to limit those shabby beliefs then I'd support those limitations.
      Anyway, in my area beliefs aren't big problem. People are much bigger problem than their beliefs.

• @Mesonfielde Actually it's stupidity of people made me go against religion, not the flaws in religion.

• they have the right to believe in whatever they want. i may not believe in their god, but i would fight for them

• Yes, because if not everyone had equal rights, there's no equal rights, just rights to some people, and less to others.

• In all honesty probably not. Religion seems way more harmful than helpful in my opinion

• Yes. Religion to me is silly, but I am a democrat and believe everybody has basic rights. people can believe what the fuck they want, i don't care.

• I don't know, if I'm honest. Depends which rights were limited I suppose.

• Even though I know religious people would never fight for me ( and frankly they'd likely be the ones who are pushing the oppression...), I would fight for them.