How often do you get Asian peoples actual ethnicity mixed up?

Can you tell a Korean apart from a Chinese person? How about a Japanese person from a Filopino?

0|0
21|16

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I certainly don't confuse a Japanese with a Filipino wth dude they do look really different😂
    I usually get the approximate location right like Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines/, Japan/Korea - I don't like guessing for China because it's so big that people in the west would look completely different from people in the east and I don't know the different regions within China well enough to name them :p

1|1
    0|0
    • I just ask, i don't guess anymore lol

• Show All
    • That il go for it, but preface it by saying 'well don't get offended if i guess wrong' lol

• Lol that's very wise of you to add

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 20

• i'm really horrible at juding anybody's ethnicity, not just asains. haha! so i guess im guilty of it :/

1|1
    0|0
  • Non-asians usually know Jack shit about where I might be from. Many have yelled "konichiwa!" or "ni hao!" to me. Which I find really fucking ignorant and annoying. Cause asia only consists of China and Japan, right?

But Asians can always tell. Not always tell the country, but the Region where I'm from in asia.

2|1
    0|0
    • I just ask directly to avoid those kinds of mistakes lol

• I can't tell.

But in my area they're not very common. I only interact with them, mostly, when I travel and are actually in Japan or Thailand or Cambodia.

0|1
    0|0
  • I can usually tell by their accents and Japanese are more obvious by their appearence. Filipino is also pretty obvious because they are darker then korean, chinese and japanese people.

0|1
    0|0
  • I can't exactly guess the ethnicity. But approximately, yes. For example, I can tell a phillipino/cambodian from a Japanese/Korean or a Chinese or an Indonesian.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I can usually tell :)

0|3
    0|0
  • I'm glad I'm not only one who can't, I feel like I'm being rude and feel bad about not knowing difference, then again I'd probably not be able to tell Germans apart from say England

0|1
    0|0
  • I love Asians but I admit, I'm not too good at distinguishing it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think the differeation from east Asian to south Asian is obvious. I can't really tell between Korean and Japanese since the beauty standards are similar, but I have assumed that people were korean/chinese and I usually get it right. I don't tell them of course, I just keep it to myself and wait for them to tell me. The obvious hint is that they have an accent or are speaking in that language

0|1
    0|0
  • 9 out of 10 times, I can tell them apart. Its not hard for me to differentiate them.

0|1
    0|0
  • I can tell all of the eastern ones part usually. Its the southeastern ones save Filipino that I can never tell apart.

0|1
    0|0
  • I took this test. I'm good at sorting th me out.😇 theyalllopksame. com

0|1
    0|0
  • It is hard to tell a Korean apart from a Japanese sometimes

1|1
    0|0
    • Koreans usually have smaller eyes and wider faces. Japs have bigger eyes and the outer corners of their eyes generally turn down

• I can usually

0|1
    0|0
  • yes i can differentiate

0|1
    0|0
  • i can usually tell them apart

0|1
    0|0
  • Rarely happens too me

0|1
    0|0
  • Although I'm half Asian myself, I can't tell Asians apart.. they're all pretty much the same to me.

0|1
    1|1
  • Mmmm noooo... haven't met any Koreans so far to actually tell the difference 😋 Could u tell the difference between a German from a Russian?

0|1
    0|0
    • The Russians are better looking.

• @abundantlyrich oh really well I'm German and I think the complete opposite 😝

• Russians have a... look. They look more... "Bitchy" than Germans. Germans lookcold, but the Russians look, I don't know, like I better not trust them. I'm talking about only the women though, I don't always know about the men. But German guys definitely look more "European" than Asian. Like German guys could also be French or American or British. Except for the dark-haired ones. The dark-haired ones are harder to tell since they're probably a mix anyway

• Its rare but it happens. Some people look different than their ethnicity.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 15

• 9/10 times.
    I can probably tell them apart if say one's from north asia, the other's from south-east asia but if they are say both from the same cities or same province , that drops to 5/10 times.
    Faces just start repeating themselves with VERY MINOR tweaks here and there.
    Like... people's nostril being a few cm wider than the other and then BLAM , that's another person.

0|1
    0|0
  • Saudi , Jordanian Arabs and Israelis are Asians too. So are Mongolians and Indians and Filipinos and Chinese and Japanese.
    Asian population is 4,164,252,000
    And Asia stretches from the Bosphorus to the Behring Strait. That makes for many different and different looking people, many ethnicities, many different looks:

upload.wikimedia.org/.../Map_of_Asia.svg

0|1
    0|0
  • I can probably differentiate them 19/20 times.

1|2
    0|0
  • I can sometimes tell Chinese, Japanese, Korean apart. Not so hot on other Southeast Asian ethnicities like Malay and Vietnamese. (Filipino is pretty easy, to be fair)

0|1
    0|0
  • It's a little difficult to tell Japanese and Korean people about, but I can easily differentiate between the Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc.

0|1
    0|0
    • Except that there are tons of Thais with Chinese ancestry. Then look Chinese. Light skin and all. Some even look japanese

• I think so but I've never been quizzed on this

0|1
    0|0
  • No, I honestly can't tell them apart.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, there's people from all over where I am

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah I can usually tell them apart*

That's what I get for typing half asleep. Just woke up lol

• Japanese from Filipino - 99%... let's say 100%! Korean from Chinese - 80%.

0|1
    0|0
  • I can usually tell by the way they speak or through names.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm sorry but I can never tell the difference 😕

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't care. I don't have any interest guessing someone's ethnicity.

0|1
    0|0
  • Filipinos are darker.

0|1
    0|0
  • I can generally tell Chinese from Korean or Japanese (though there is some slight crossover) Korean from Japanese is more difficult, it's more a matter of style than actual features. Filipinos don't look like any of the others.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, I mean, they all look the same, lol

0|1
    0|1