Do you think mental disorder is a choice?

My mother seems to think so. Wtf? How is it a choice?

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely not - I have had mental health issues during my life and I can definitely say it is not a choice - I understand where your mother is coming from - This does not come from ignorance, it comes from misunderstanding, they think "I have felt sad in the past but in time I got over it so that is basically what depression is" but that is not what depression is - Firstly there are several different types of depression, I had mild bipolar and my life was dog rough - I went on an out patient course in a psychiatric hospital with people who had severe mental health issues, these people had suffered so much I was embarrassed to be in same room as them bemoaning my mild bipolar. Mental health issues are all about finding out what helps you cope, what works for you - It is something that should be taken totally seriously - As others have said they are very aware when mental health is duscussed on forums like this because misperception is probably one of the biggest problems. Mental health issues are scary, never be afraid to research and seek help whether or not it is professional is up to you.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...a87208703d.jpg
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...c3f078509e.jpg

Most Helpful Girl

• It's definitely not a choice but I think some people do just think like that. I think maybe because it makes them feel better, like if it's something that can be overcome by sheer willpower and force then it's not as serious or something? Like when I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid, my mom refused to believe that I needed the tests and the medication and even though she eventually took me to see a psych she'd like, hold my meds until someone said something to her, and she'd try to force me to get better or something. Eventually I learned to hide it but it was absolute shit til my sister and brother also got diagnosed and all of a sudden everything is dandy. It's just a stigma to some people, maybe because of their culture or upbringing or whatever.

What Guys Said 47

• Nope, mental health illness from my experience is chemical imbalance of the brain
    I got Bipolar / Anxiety / Delusional / Depression.. But I'm the most loving pussycat
    anyone would want meet so yes it can be controlled.. Some mental illnesses people
    don't want help them self and while others are struggling with the illnesses like i have
    been since age 19 but I'm abuse victim, bully victim, parents never seem to love me
    what can i say it happens.. Mental disorders/ Mental illnesses become a choice
    when others believe it's a choice to be mentally ill , Nope sorry i don't think so.

• The illness itself is not the choice - wallowing in self-pity and believing you can't improve upon it is though.

Unfortunately too many do the later.

• No it's not a choice. The very name "disorder" means that something is systematically disfunctional. You don't have much choice in that. Your mother just has some outdated beliefs about the psyche.

• It's not a choice, however, many people incorrectly self diagnose themselves with a disorder when really it's the thought that you may have the disorder which is generating an identity and therefore the symptoms of said disorder. For example, if you're shy and start reading about social anxiety disorder you may feel that's what you have and get medicated for it, whereas if you if had never been exposed to the disorder you may naturally have grown out of it believing it was just childhood shyness that persisted a bit longer than others did. It's important to be diagnosed by a professional.

• Someone having bipolar is definitely not a choice. When my uncle is on his meds he's a sane fully functioning human being. When he goes off of them he gains a few hundred pounds and tries to steal money and the identity of other members of our family. It's like two totally different people. Unfortunately he doesn't stay on his meds so we had to cut him out of our lives.

• Why doesn't he?

• That is pretty average behavior with those who have bi-polar.

• @Mesonfielde I guess it's pretty common for people with certain mental illnesses.. When they are on the medication for a while they start to think they don't need it anymore because they're doing so well. Unfortunately they go off it and the problems start again. It's like a constant relapse.

• It can be, in some cases : a pothead took the choice of smoking cannabis, knowing he might become a pothead.

• Well she's a drug dealer. They see things differently.

• Lol, it's definitely not a choice. Telling someone to get over autism or severe anxiety is like telling someone to get over cancer.

• No it's not a choice if it were a lot of people would choice not to have the disorder in the first place.

• Sure, I love being such an apathetic, unhappy, socially inept train wreck! 10/10 would choose mental disorder again.

But honestly, maybe she didn't mean it that way. I don't know your mother or the conversation you had, so I can only guess what she meant. Some people would rather wallow in self-pity than even try to improve, and that IS a choice.

• I have a mental disorder. ADHD.

No, it's not a choice. I did not choose it.

Not that I don't enjoy it, though!

• Nope, it's not a choice, disorders are usually some sort of genetic error.

• Not at all, if it was a choice it wouldn't be called disorder.

• I would assume your mother is similar age to I, and also being from Latvia, ex USSR, her upbringing would have been very old style. By this, i mean when we were growing up it was 'depression' wasn't even an accepted term with it deemed weakness.

Even for me, I have been through some real dark times, but can only remember crying twice in my life

• its a choice if you are aware you have it, yet do nothing about it

• what the fuck no?

• No, is not. Who in the world thinks that is a choice? Oh sorry. Um mental disorders are a bunch of democrats. You can't really say you are free of mental disorders by leaning on your economical status, emotional well being, family background, etc. You can start suffering one at any time and at any moment. Obviously they are factors that make you more likely to suffer one.

• Wow, your mother actually thinks that? That's very ignorant of her. I think as someone else said, she was raised in a time where mental disorders weren't recognized and many of them such as depression were labeled as "weakness".

• I wish it was, I would have chosen to not have depression, social anxiety, and ADD a LONG time ago.

• Na, it's a way of life!

• Mental disorder makes people say and do weird things, like that :/

It would be good if it was only a choice.

• Obviously it's not a choice. Mental disorder is an illness. That's like saying that sombody chose to have Cancer.

• Its not a choice. But human habits or negative thinking may lead to mental disorders. so partly some disorders are due to the ways people chose to react or think. But not in all cases.

• i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc226/alibari/gif2.gif
    Whaaaa? As in people who are mentally unwell?

• No, some human bodies were designed to have mental disorders in order to test the soul. In the Spirit World, the soul chooses a human body in order to test itself. I got this info from Journey of Souls and Destiny of Souls, which were written by Michael Newton.

• Mental disorder is not a choice, but it automatically makes you imperfect. I truly feel for those who can never be perfect due to something they could not control. Oh well, perfection picks and chooses anyway.

• It's most definitely not a choice.

• Hell no it is not.

• fact : mental disorders are real

-said by every doctor ever-

• He'll no. If it was a choice I would gladly choose not to have bi-polar 2 with rapid cycling accompanied by anxiety disorder.

• More from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 32

• Oh sure, 'cause, you know, we can like, make the choice to have a deformed brain or whatever. We have total control over that stuff.

-_-

• Hell no, any sensible person would understand that these last ''choice'' scenarios are nonsense. And this is because mental illness whether depression, bipolar, postnatal depression or any other type simply doesn't happen that way.

I can tell you, when you're mentally ill, you're not making a decision to be there, whether it's in a place of psychosis, spinning mania or knuckle-gnawing despair. Really, who would?

• I think it started as my choice and now i am stuck with it. When you think about if I choose to be depressed does that prove I was feeling bad when I didn't even know it!!! Mho

• It's a medically recognized fact that mental health disorders are NOT a choice. You do have a choice, however, to let your disease control you by not pursuing any kind of treatment. But having the disease itself? Not a choice. Who in the fuck would choose that?

• I don't think it's a choice... but they do day the mind is such a powerful thing that it CAN overcome things u wouldn't expect it to...
    But ultimately, I think if someone has a mental disorder its nkt something they choose...

• I guess being lazy is a mental disorder i. e. not caring or w. e.
    but I have two mental disorders, and they do not have to be primarily personality oriented... I have insomnia and I have PTSD. both of those are mental disorders. the insomnia is caused by my PTSD, and they're both pretty extreme... I've just recently learned how to handle "flash-back" situations, as my counselor calls them. but they aren't by choice if they are diagnosed by a doctor. it's not real if you tell yourself that's what you have. it's called being a hypochondriac, or something... and that's a choice, to an extent.

• Of course not I'd like to see major reform in the treatment of mental illness before I die. The U. S. Has a serious problem on its hands.

• XD Anyone who believes that is just... I honestly can't think of a word for that but it makes me want to do a face palm.

That's like saying people have a choice to have cancer. It's not a choice and nobody wants to have that.

I have adhd and was diagnosed with it in pre-school. I never decided to have that it is what it is. Which it makes life a little more challenging. Still it has it's ups and downs.

• how can it be a choice? its not!! people get affected by mental disorder due to difficult situations most of the time

• media2.giphy.com/media/9gFAo976iJnLa/giphy.gif

As someone who has worked on a mental ward I can say it's definitely not a choice.

• It's not a choice but refusing help or hiding behind the "I'm _____" or "well I have _____" card gets old and isn't productive for anyone especially the affected person, the only thing you can choose to do when you have a mental issue is get help/support.

• It's not a choice at all. Maybe your mother has a mental disorder she "chose" to have.

• What kind of question is that? That's like saying chose to be retarded/mentally challanged.

• No, she is wrong, it's not a choice.

• That's a question I wondered about myself because I feel I can control myour mind set then there are others who can't. ...

• How the heck is it a choice?

Oh, I'm just going to wake up tomorrow and decide out of the blue that I want to suffer from schizophrenia. :) Yeah, makes total sense.

• no its not a choice. she's just unfortunately ignorant.

• Ummm why did she say that?

• It's not, she just doesn't understand

• It's not a choice. The brain is a part of the body and like every other part, sometimes it gets sick.

• no mental disorder isn't a choice and i found out that I have a mental disorder I found out that I have a learning disability and a intellectual disability

• No but being stupid is.

• No, I don't think it is but sometimes I think people get pushed to the limit

• What the shit? No, it isn't. I don't know how anyone can think it is. lol

• It's kind of a back handed thing. If you ask anyone that general question they say 'no'. But if that same person knows someone with clinical depression that is very much he attitude they take. They think just snap out of it. They've seen that person be normal before and just don't understand. It is possible to claw your way out of depression just like it is possible to break out of a casket buried alive in Kill Bill. But depression present in a fMRI of a depressed person the same and is recognizable from a normal functioning brain's fMRI.

Anyone who wants to know what it is like should read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Im lucky enough to never have had to live that he'll but I know people who have.

• Your mom is delusional. That's like saying "gay people choose to be gay"

• whaa? It's not a matter of thinking it's a choice, it's not! It's caused by a chemical imbalance. However, you could argue that the extent of help you want to receive is partially choosing to keep a disorder.

• I don't think it's a choice.

• It's not a choice.

• It's really not

• No, it is not a choice. It is unknown what causes it, but they think it's a combination of things (like genetics, chemical imbalance in the brain, experience: ie abuse, neglect, etc. and environment issues) all play a part. It cannot be prevented, it is not a choice and it's not their fault.

• We as a society are living loves in doors in front of screens that don't fit our evolutional needs.

• More from Girls
    2