Do you think in your native language or in another language?

I've noticed that I don't even think in Latvian which is my native language like ever, I pretty much always think in English.

Most Helpful Guy

• Interesting question. My native language is Portuguese, I normally think in Portuguese, but when I'm watching something in English and/or reading something in English and certainly speaking English, I think in English.

Most Helpful Girl

• For me ut actually depends on the language that i was last speaking in. My native language is Spanish but I also know English since I live in America, but also Greek French and a little of German. I almost always curse in the language that my mother doesn't know so I don't get in trouble, so when I'm thinking I just keep going with the language that I started. it's actually really random because I can go from thinking in English to Spanish to Greek its like a whole mumbo-jumbo of words. Sometimes it even surprices me when i dont get confused. Also this is kind of bad when im writting because i kind of get the languages mixed up, but half the time i think in just English and Spanish.

What Guys Said 47

• Depends on the situation. Latvian for when I have to shout out in my mind "bļa, kas par huiņu nafig?" and etc, and English for when I want to think over something intelligent because chances are that I am most likely to write that to someone online, than say to someone I know.

• Lately I've started to think in a couple of other languages. I've been doing this language exchange thing for the past couple of months and it's really fun. It's on an app called HelloTalk. You can pretty much chat with language partners and help each other learn the other person's language. You can do speaking and texting exercises with them. It's really a lot of fun. I've even dreamed in another language (it was totally incorrect phrases and grammar but still it's a start)

I should get paid for advertisement.. :p

The idea of thinking in a different language is a fascinating concept though..

• Gotta remove this as spam ;) haha jk
      Sounds interesting.

• In my head it's perfect American accent pronunciation 😎 If only was the same in real life hahaha

• Yeah I can totally empathize with that.. When it comes to learning another language, I know what it sounds like in my head but it doesn't come out that way when it speak it :(
      I guess practice makes perfect haha

• I think in English. I've been living abroad for 5 years now and I never get to talk in my mothers tongue so I don't even know how to express myself anymore xD

• When I talk to old school friends and I say stuff like "ugh how do you say..." they think I am pretentious xD I don't even know how to say "pretentious" in my mothers tongue xD the struggle is real

• Lol! Sometimes this happens to me as well! Especially if there aren't words in your language that could describe/translate the English word perfectly. An example is awkward.. I translate it with unangenehm, but thats really not it.. it means "doesnt feel well" basically.. So yeah people like me are often called denglish cuz we mix/confuse german (german=deutsch) with English.

• That depends. When I speak to English people, I think in English. When I am talking about programming, it is a bit of a hybrid. If I am just talking to a random Hungarian, then typically Hungarian, but sometimes some words come to mind only in English, which is just funny.

• That depends on the language I've been using most for an hour or so.

• I'm far more used to English even at home hence I think in English all the while :)

• It alternates... if I'm with my family I tend to think in French but when I'm with my friends, it switches to English since I'm speaking it at the moment.

• My native language is irish but only a small percentage of irish people speak it fluently. I only have a very basic grip of it so I would solely think and speak in English

• I think in the language I speak in at the moment. Now Im typing in English, that means Im thinking in English and when I write/ talk in german I think in german.

• For me it's not limited to thinking...

Strange confession saturday:
    When I'm alone I talk to myself in English.

I'm not lonely, I swear...

• Same here. I go to a university giving education in English, so i think in English way more often than I think in Turkish. Sometimes, when i haven't encountered English for a long time though, my brain goes "back to factory settings" and I start thinking in Turkish.

• I think almost entirely in Klingon. 8)

25.media.tumblr.com/...mb32keXAbl1qbgx8ao2_250.gif

Jk, I think in English. :P

• i speak 4 languages, meaning i am perpetually confused

And worse, after being here in Australia, it is a whole lot different type of 'English' that i was taught :(

• I usually think in Croatian, but sometimes I think in English... it's kinda cool ;)

• haaha no I just thin in English your a deep thinker aren't you? :) me and you would get alone real well

• My natic is egyptian, i really do not like to speak arabic like arabs in saudi arabia and most of the sheikhs.
    I do not hate the language but it is boring, egyptian is so simple and easy to speak , there r no rules in it or exact way of talking.
    And i think in English a lot because i like non arab people ( that does not mean i hate arabs), because they r open minded not like most of arabs.

• i pretty much mix it up. german/english. which is the most short, convinient or precise for any thought.

• I think in English. Lol sometimes in French but only right after French class. French is getting seared into my mind, and sometimes I mixed it into Anglais by accident. Oh la la. Je suis tres beouf.

• I think in Norwegian. I guess Latvian is just complicated so it's more convenient to think in English rather then Latvian.

• I think in English now since I'm more used to it.
    Before I used to always think in Russian, it's just I'm not around that many Russian speakers anymore.

• Native language; arabic.

• Probably means that you are more used to speaking English than Latvian @MissNowhere. I do notice that your English is excellent though

• Mostly in Russian, even though my native language is Estonian. Sentences "flow" better in Russian, in my opinion. I don't know if it makes sense.

• I think in both English and raw symbols. Sometimes I think in Latin when English doesn't have a good phrase for it.

• 😍😍😍😍
    You amaze me every day! Come to the USA
    We can be best friends 😍😍😍

• 99% of the time I think in Luxembourgish, which is my native language. But sometimes I think in German, I also study in Germany but it's quite rare

• I think in English lol

• My native language is a variation of Ojibway, however I most often think in English.

• Most of the times yes, I think in my native language, Greek

• 50% English. When English gives error I think in my native language.

• More from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 24

• yeah i always think in English. it makes more sense for me though since i was born and raised in an English speaking country.
    shame that ur a bit detached from ur native language though.

• English is my mother tongue, tho not my national language. I suck big time for my national language, I even failed the subject once in high school back then. So I mostly just think of stuffs in English, or Korean. I rarely speak Mandarin these days because my friends don't understand complex mandarin. Even my dreams about GAG are in English. ><

• I think in English most of the time. When I was younger I would interchange between that and French, and then start talking to French with my mother, and English if it was with my father. But now it's just English.

• I find myself thinking more and more in English lately

probably too many series with no subtitles and too much time spent on GAG

Not to mention that me nd my boyfriend communicate in English too

Even yesterday I had a dream and I spoke in English in it

• I think in every language that I know in equal percentage.
    Maybe a little more in Hungarian since I'm in a Hungarian high school and if I want to say something, I have to say it in Hungarian.

• My mother tongue is actually Maharashtrian AKA Marathi. But I think in Hindi.
    My English isn't really perfect, so I don't think in English.. haha :)

• Your English seems more or less perfect to me ;o

• @ResonantGuy what.. You are crazy! D:

• 😆😆😆😆😆

• Same here. I think most of the time I think in English. They say that you have pretty much mastered a language if you dream in that language

• Yeah.. me too.. lol.. specially sexual thoughts.. 😁😁😁

• Well since im not bilingual or bisexual... I only think in English... mostly about guys... or clothes..;)

• Depends, sometimes I think in Montenegrin, sometimes in English ;)

• I always think in my native language mostly because I don't know another language enough to understand it as good as English

• I think in french and Arabic

• I think mostly in French.

• 90% of time I think in English and have been for the last 7 years. Sometimes if I have russian thoughts to think about then I would think in Russian. :D But my native language, Latvian, is pretty pointless to me.

• i think in both

• Me too!
    I think all the time in English now even though my native language is Russian

• I think in 4 languages!! All damn mixed.

• ehhh i would say both, English and Spanish

• Well I usually think in English, because danish is just a weird language to think in xD

• I mostly think in English then I translate to Russian

• I think in my native language

• 99% of the time I think in English.

• I think in English when I'm alone and in Portuguese when I'm interacting with people, if they are speaking Portuguese as well.

• I mainly think in English when it comes to things like world problems or LGBT issues, but Turkish when it comes to basic things.