Do you think religion should give you the right to discriminate?

okay i am somewhat christian i like jesus but i dont believe all of the bible like the whole noahs ark and god created the earth in 7 days. now i have heard a lot of stories about people like kim davis the women who refused marriage licsences. and the bakery that refused to do a gay wedding cake. and when you say i dont like gays it seems acceptable people will be like oh you have you you're religious beliefs but if you say i dont like blacks people will automatically see you as a bigot. now my view on the whole relgious freedom laws is that they shouldn't have the right to discriminate. now with the religious freedom laws you have conservatives saying no baker should be forced to bake a gay wedding cake. now here is an example of a situation lets say tim and jim are getting married and they need a wedding cake. so they go to johns bakery and ask for a wedding cake. john is a christian and says no. now some people say that john should have the right to not serve tim and jim. but here is the problem johns bakery is not a church or a relgious affliated bakery it would be against the law to force a church to marry a gay couple since johns bakery is not a church he is not granted the relgious freedom protection laws which allows him to refuse service. and it is still illegal to refuse service to anyone due to the fact that gays are protected under those protection laws. and also think of it this way if we do grant people the right to discriminate due to religion what if there religion was i dont like jews or black people. where would it end with the right to discriminate it is a slippery slope. also some of you are also going to say well then would we force a jewish bakery to bake a cake for a neo nazi group. and under those laws the baker can refuse because the neo nazi group dosent represent a race or a gender or a sexual orrention or religion. so what do you all think

Most Helpful Girl

• Religion is about love and acceptance of others. Not hate. A lot of people seem to like to forget that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Religion should NOT give you the right to discriminate... HOWEVER... it's getting REALLY old hat how people discriminate against Christians and it's ok, but if anyone else get's discriminated against, it's wrong, offensive, racist, not politically correct, whatever it may be. You mention Kim Davis in your OP... I hate to say I truly believe if she wasn't a Christian but some other religion, we wouldn't even know her name right now... but since she is, they discriminated against her for following her beliefs and values; because it follows Christ/God...

What Girls Said 3

• ok i didn't read this all... but no one, has any 'right' to discriminate. the right to an opinion is a different story.

• Your question itself was enough to go on. I'm Christian-agnostic (it's difficult to put in layman's term for my mother!) but religion should at least be tolerant of each other.
    I don't actually support gay MARRIAGE not the sexuality. I think marriage should be between a man and a woman. So there should be a different ceremony to specifically the same sex couple. I know I will trigger some people but that is my view while still being in the fairness boundaries.

• Nothing gives you the right to discriminate.

What Guys Said 3

• 1|2
  • I'm not even going to read that wall of text, I saw the word cake and I know exactly what tired old story we're talking about.

No, it doesn't. And I'm tired of people claiming that their bigotry is religion, it's not.

• Religion shouldn't give anyone more or less rights than anyone else, in my opinion.