If one day you're pregnant and realized that the foetus has disability, would you still keep him/her?

Or would you opt for abortion?

I saw a question like this on Facebook and it seems interesting to read the views of others on GAG, so I decided to ask.

Let's say there's a machine that could detect if the foetus has mental retardation, physical disability etc.. and the one you're pregnant with is somehow disabled (physically/mentally, either one), would you choose to keep, or abort it?

Guys, what's your opinion on this?

Most Helpful Guy

• This is hard. I'm sure most people, myself included, wouldn't want to have an abortion. It's my kid. Id love it with all my being regardless if it has a disability or not. But I as the father could only do so much. Society is not kind. It pretends it is but people can be rather cruel to a kid who has a disability. And if it's a severe enough of one, would it consume all my time caring for the kid? Don't get me wrong I'd do it cuz it's my kid. However since I'm not in that situation this is easy for me to say. If I actually had to go through this, would I come to regret the decision?
    Just being honest.

Most Helpful Girl

• There would be a number of things for me to consider, like someone already mentioned, would I be able to afford the cost of possibly medications, operations, drs and specialist visits, I know he/she would be bullied to some degree because of just how nasty people and kids are these days so I'm going to have to prepare myself for the heartbreak I'd face knowing my kid is being bullied and then how do I prepare for that? I've got to know how to support him/her through the bullying and how do I do that when I still struggle with my childhood when I was bullied, the severity of the disability will they be basically a vegetable their whole life? There is a lot to consider and I do tend to lean more towards no I wouldn't keep the child. That's just my opinion and has been for a while now..

• That's how I feel too. Most people who are pro-life seem to be so until it comes to raising the child.

• I know what you mean. It's such a tough call. I don't wish that decision on anyone.

• @9mfeo It definitely is/ would be. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone either. Just this morning I've read a story about how a manager of a shop refused a downs man to enter his store simply because he was downs the mother rung to get an apology and he said why should I? I'm allowed to refuse who I want from my shop. whether the story is real or not this kind of thing isn't uncommon. How distressing and rude.

What Guys Said 6

• I think it's a hard decision really, of course as a father I'd love the child and care for them, but then again the child's life would be tough and very sad so it's debatable but I think it would be ethically wrong to let the child suffer, and of course it's the women's choice. It's a very sensitive topic, and actually my friend decided to have an abortion because the child had a disability, and I supported their decision.

• A baby goes through a pre-screening and they do have a way to determine this before it's even born. I would still keep him/her and learn to adjust not only myself with the responsibility but the baby as well.

• Oh there's a pre screening 😅😅 gosh I sound so stupid now

• @MysteriousFlower I appreciate the details but I just had a daughter not too long ago, so I know clearly what i'm talking about and the doctor who was helping us throughout the pregnancy just so happens to be my sister.

• I understand. My brother has Aspergers and it wasn't picked up and so my heart disease. I wish you good luck in the future and congrats 😊

• In my opinion people are sick because the child would probably never know the feeling to be normal, live with self hatred, no love etc. what will the parents do once they die?

• I would probably opt for abortion. It is better that way for everyone, including the child who as such doesn't have to suffer for a lifetime.

• Yes, why wouldn't you?

• I'd never opt for abortion.

What Girls Said 4

• I would most likely not keep the baby. I know a lot of people will think that cruel or harsh, but I'm quite sure that would be my decision.

• Depends. Am I able to afford the support they will need?

• Depends on the type and severity of the disability but generally yes, I wouldn't want my child growing up with a life that is filled with hardship.

• I don't that is appropriate on Gag. I will give my opinion on this, it would still be my child and I will do whatever it takes to have a healthy and happy life through its challenges.

• Why is this not appropriate?

• @GirlScout because most people on gag are uneducated about this matter and it has a dark moral value that shouldn't be taken lightly.