Can a fake Facebook profile be traced back to the user?

Through law enforcement, if nothing else? Someone I know claims to be harrassed or stalked by someone. It's obviously not a real profile, but someone hiding. I saw the posts and I don't think it's anything illegal, just annoying, mean, and some swear words. The person knows personal information about my friend but probably nothing that couldn't be googled. Would my friend have a real "case" or would authorities ignore something this minor? And back to my original question, can they/would they be able to track down who this person is? If so, how do they do this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well yeah of course law enforcement has their ways to trace a user (I even know how they would probably do it), but this isn't worth their time. Just have your friend block the person spewing the harassment. The authorities would most certainly ignore something so petty.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe contact Facebook and see if they can help if it's getting to be a serious problem

What Guys Said 3

• Yes, I'm pretty sure that it can be traced back to the user in most cases.

• There are many, MANY, good people that can trace, follow, or track an account to its original owner, including their home address. Its not that hard too. Look for clues in posts about location n stuff, learn about where that is. Do you know anyone near that area? If so, who? That who may be the owner.

• Yes it's called an ip address

What Girls Said 2

• Yes I think that this person can be tracked. Cyberbully's should be arrested cause they make others lives a living hell. So I think that this is a case that the police would be very much interested in.

• Yes. Authorities can trace it back.