How do you feel about the idea of a Muslim president of the United States?

Don't forget that the separation of church and state applies to mosques too. And say what you really think!

What would you think about, say, an Arab-American man or woman running for president?

• I would be OK with it, may vote for them if I agree with their views
  • No, I wouldn't want a Muslim president
  • Other
I'm surrounded by idiots.
I don't even know what to say. This level of stupidity is way beyond me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've grown to hate the office of POTUS in general, but I would be very supportive of an Arab in office. Their religion wouldn't matter to me at all.

I'm of Palestinian descent, so I'd like having a president who actually cared for a proper balance in the mid-east and asia, especially if they would give genocidal leaders a free pass.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm fine with it. there are millions of good, wholesome, 'god' fearing Muslims in America. Of course there are bad ones but there are bad Jews, Christians, etc, etc. so you can't paint a Muslim with a broad paint brush and suggest that due to their religion they couldn't be a good person or president (not saying you are).

so yes I would vote for and support a Muslim president if I believe in them

What Girls Said 4

• I would never be supportive of any religion of a candidate that didn't coincide with the same values as our constitution.

Having an extensive knowledge on Islam and the culture of the Middle East, I can say with certainty that their cultural/religious values do NOT align with Western values and democracy. It would be similar to asking a Christian to be in charge of Planned Parenthood. It simply would not work and would be a huge clash of values.

There are also other issues with having a Muslim President; for starters, our military would never serve under a Muslim commander in chief.

We also would have an issue of national relations; how exactly would a Muslim president work with Israel?

The problem with having a Muslim president is very unique and people who support the idea, do not fully understand our enemy nor the culture of the Middle East. This is a very particular part of the world, rampant with ideologies that are hell bent on destroying Western civilization. NO OTHER religion currently exists that has followers that is actually trying to destroy America. It's not that all Muslims are extreme, but that the extreme ones are Muslim. We need to stop being politically correct and exchanging the reality of the situation for "touchy feely" policies. The reality is, we do NOT live in a utopia, nor are we on the path to living in a utopia by opening our doors and minds to whoever wants to walk in. You can't "politically correct" your way to coexisting with a culture that doesn't support our values. Our country was built on values that more closely align with Christianity than they do with Islam. Two vastly different theologies. Even though the president wouldn't rule WITH their personal religion, they definitely rule BASED on their personal religion. Christianity... even Atheism has the same values as our constitution. Islam does NOT and people have to learn to accept that we can't just pretend that the radicals out there are not going to use our American hospitality and "open mindedness" against us.

All they need is a few Muslim leaders in office here until you see them start to elect more Muslims in random places; until many of our political offices and other government businesses are rampant with Muslims. That's all they need to carry out the exact plans they have in mind to destroy our country. Of course they are not going to come in dressed like radicals; they will come in "peacefully" being raised in America with "American Values". Trojan Horse

• You're impressing because your answer is as wrong, paranoid and full of conspiracy theories as every other one, but you can talk like a politician and make yourself sound legitimate.

As someone who is a non-Muslim but of Middle Eastern descent, I have no reason to explain you why you're wrong. You're what's wrong with America.

• Sure! Muslim does not automatically equal fundamentalist, and it's silly to think that way. If their political views and goals are in line with mine, I would vote for him/her.

Same goes for a candidate of any race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

• I would want a president that's actually from this country

• You're funny, thinking a Muslim can't be born in USA.

• prove he wasn't haaha... fool.

• and all Muslims are terrorists, hahaha..

• I would rather keep my life safe and secure. Rather then take in more illegals and have the threat of my home and my family being bombed and mass murdered. Thanks.

• Reported as nonsense and blocked.

What Guys Said 14

• I think if any candidate publicly states or even hints at their religious preference, they should be disqualified for office.

• Why did you immediately think they would show off their religion? That's sad. That's not needed so people know their religion.

• I'm not sure what you're asking. What I'm saying would put candidates of all religions on an equal playing field - they wouldn't be allowed to discuss their religion, plain and simple. This goes for whether their religion would help them in the polls or hurt them.

• I probably wouldn't vote for a Muslim president, but here is my reason why
    A majority of Americans are Christians (Over 80%), i think the president should share a similar belief system to that of his people. Its not because i have anything against Islam, or Muslims.

not like religious faith matters anymore, just look at the laughing stock of a pope lol
    or Obama, becoming christian to further his political career

• I am a Muslim SO please don't hate coz I am bored from the hate on this site anyways my answer America isn't a country to have a Muslim president like if he is a Muslim like a good muslim the place would be a lot BETTER but the society won't agree on some of the concepts and ideas of the muslim president

• couldnt agree more

• I mean if he is muslim there won't be a gay marriage law , and sex won't be like that it would be considered adultery and things like that

• This is so cute. Just because they're Muslim, do you think a person will be against all this?

Let me ask this: There are more than a billion Muslims in the world. Do you think each and every one have the same exact values?

• Islam is an eastern religion, an antithesis to most of what makes Western Civilization great.

A muslim president of the usa sounds as fitting as Hillary Clinton being elected ruler of Iran.

• betters than jews and Donald Duck... i mean Trump.

• A true Muslim president (leader) the one Islam talks about! Heck yayyy! To name a few hazrat Umer Farooq!

• Being the first non-Christian president (even being the first atheist president) would be a far bigger achievement than being the first non-white president - and it has nothing at all to do with the constitution or ability to do the job.

• And contrary to the anonymous girl's post above (which is completely irrational btw), having a Muslim president might, if anything, make the US *less* of a target for Muslim-extremist terrorist groups.

• Yes, I realize that. The point I was trying to make, was that most consider it a huge achievement for Obama to have been elected the first black / non-white president, and everybody made such a big deal about it (and no doubt would do the same if Hillary Clinton were to become the first female president) - but I think being the first non-Christian would be a greater achievement.

• I agree.

• The US is primarily a Christian country so it's pretty unlikely, if for no other reason than the fact that they wouldn't be representative of the country.

• Wasn't that another job? USA isn't a black-majority country either.

• There's a heck of a lot more African-Americans than Arab-Americans. And Obama is a Protestant which is, again, the majority religion in the US.

• I wouldn't be okay with it, and if you honestly think that that would ever happen you are fooling yourself

• arab and muslim the same thing... hah... oh dear..

• the "say" there has a meaning, you know.

• no, say is a throw off point. You mentioned Muslim and Arab as synonyms which makes me question your intelligence.

• How sad, trying to tell me what I meant. I come from a non-Arab Muslim background and you're creating an argument out of nowhere, attacking me for no reason.

I'm questioning the intelligence of every opinion owner on this question. If stupidity was electricity, they'd be lighting up Las Vegas.

• What makes a muslim any different than a jew, Christian or any other religion of the world president? I mean, why does it matter?

• By constitution, a person's religion has no bearing on their qualifications for the presidency and they cannot be required to believe a certain thing, etc. So in theory, it shouldn't matter.

But culturally and practically, I think a Muslim would be hard-pressed to get elected.

Would I vote for a Muslim? No. Nor would I for a Christian. Or Jew. Or Atheist. Their religion is not why I would or wouldn't vote for them.

For me, it's entirely about their platforms. But I imagine a Muslim would have a very different platform than a Christian or Atheist, so there's a possibility that I might not vote for them because of their platform differences, which I suppose is indirectly voting against a Muslim.

It depends how you want to slice it, I guess.

• Religion is not the only thing that defines a person.

• What I wrote: "Their religion is not why I would or wouldn't vote for them."

• Well, you're asking GAG, where everyone is a Christian, right wing virgin who only listens to everything mommy and daddy tell them.

• Those people are unbelievable.

• Then the majority of this website is unbelievable.

• Yuppppp

• We've already given a bunch of Christian ones a chance, so why not? What religion you claim or don't claim makes no difference.

• Many people care. All the presidents before Obama were white men and all except Kennedy were Protestant

• Stop trolling or make an intelligent point. If you can't do either, I think you need to hurry up and get to school before you're marked absent... again...

• I believe there is a big misunderstanding, but since you're being incredibly disrespectful, I have no choice but blocking you.