Anyone ever have to deal with clinical depression?

How do they treat it? Is it all about shoving 'happy' pills down your throat? What do they do?

What Girls Said 2

• In the medical field, yes, most doctors will treat depression with pills. However, not every person has depression for the same reason.

Some people do have a brain problem where the right chemicals are not being produced in the right amounts, so depression is a result. Sometimes this is a temporary issue, sometimes, it's long term.

Some people, however, do not have a brain problem, so pills will not have much or any effect on them. Sometimes it's diet. Sometimes (a LOT of times) it's habitual negative thinking.

If feeling better is an individual's determined goal, then they will keep pursuing one option after another until they find something that helps them. There are a variety of different paths one can take to lifting depression, just a matter of finding which one is right for you.

• I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was 14. I was in and out of psychologist appointments for 3 years because my mom was the type of person who doesn't believe in medicine and that I could just talk to a stranger for an hour a week and "be happy again".

Then, about a year ago, I started having extreme panic attacks even when I wasn't under any kind of stress. A symptom of panic disorder is extreme depression because of the way your mind naturally comes down from panic and leaves you exhausted. When I went to the doctor for this, they found out that I had a chemical imbalance and put me on antidepressants.

Sometimes medicine is needed to help fix this imbalance. They're not just happy pills. They actually change the chemicals in your brain so that you feel "normal" again. Therapy does help, and it did, but what I really needed in the end was medicine (I'm on Lexapro right now).

• What's the endgame though? Are you going to be on it for a long time or is it something that could help "right the ship" after a while?
      What if you don't know what normal feels like in the first place?

• I'll have to take it probably forever. But that's something I'm willing to do, since my panic attacks have gotten significantly less frequent and severe and my depression doesn't completely take over my life like it did before. For me, the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

Normal to me is freedom from the mental and physical exhaustion that comes with depression. I'm able to feel like myself instead of like a robot that's just going through the motions of life.

What Guys Said 0