What's wrong with being confident?

from a scale of 1 to 10, how confident are you?
(1- low, 10-high)
but seriously, what's wrong with being confident? Why do some people hate it when other people are confident?

• HATERS GONNA HATE <3 ;)
  • nahh, no one loves me and i'm sad and lonely, can you give a hug?
  • WHAT IS THIS CONFIDENCE YOU TALK ABOUT?
  • Can I have ice cream, pizza, chocolate cake, fries, pasta, skittles, tacos, and a large coke please?
  • oh look a puppy...

Most Helpful Guy

• I could explain this in three simple words..
    but for the sake of keeping it long..

Humans, are a greedy species, it's in our DNA.. we want everything there is to have and if we encounter someone who's in possession of more
    we become jealous of them.

There is nothing wrong with being confident, in fact.. it's a trait I value greatly, in an individual, but if confidence turns negative, it'll have the reverse effect, and push people away.

The reason as I see it, is that people who dislike confident individuals
    are displeased with them, for the fact that they seem to have everything.

Most Helpful Girl

• There is a difference between being confident and cocky. As long as you don't cross over into the cocky side, then you're all good. Confidence is key!

I'm like a 2 on the scale of confidence... maybe less.

• You should be more confident! Besides every person deserves to have it cause everyone one has their own unique gifts too!

• Lol, I have tried to boost my confidence, but it never works. I mean, I'm still having a hard time believing that a friend of mine who told me he liked me a while back still likes me. I don't understand why. Confidence just isn't in my system at the moment. Maybe someday... :) @AmberDawnxo

• Also @ Asker - Thanks for MHO! :)

What Guys Said 19

• Because a lot of times people have a flawed idea of what confidence looks like.

For instance, if you walk into a bar and think "I'm the hottest person here. I shouldn't have to deal with lesser people." That isn't so much confidence as arrogance.

Confidence is knowing your own strengths and weaknesses, and feeling comfortable in your own skin. Arrogance would be to presume some sort of status amongst others, or to make presumptions about what people think about you or how they SHOULD think about you.

For instance "I love being a math geek Math rocks" is confident. Being able to say this is confident. Saying "I am the best at math" is arrogant. "I am really good at math" is debatable, since it can be objectively measured.

Meeting people with the presumption that they find you attractive is arrogant, and gets you in trouble because you start expecting them to prove their worth and don't even question your own.

A lot of people who say they are confident are actually arrogant.

• I am probably a 10 most days and might slip to a 7 or lower other days but always know in the back of my mind I will get back to a 10 soon. My problem lies in the days I hit a 12. I find people misinterpret the word confidence. To me confidence is a quiet self assuredness.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...0dfcd6097e.jpg
    While being overconfident is loud, boastful, arrogant in short an asshole.
    izquotes.com/.../...erferes-leo-tolstoy-273442.jpg
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...0e3866a0e9.jpg

• If I consider confidence in general, I suppose I'd rank an 8.

It it is confidence with respect to the opposite gender, I'd probably score -1! :P

• There is nothing wrong with confident. It's critical to succeed. Absolutely critical. I'm confident and pretty much only spend time with confident people.

• There's nothing wrong with being confident the problem is people more often then not cross the thin line between confidence and arrogance.

• Because they don't have confidence themselves.

I am not confident, but I don't hate on others that are confident.

• I got 94 out of 100 on a confidence test I just took so I guess that rounds down to a 9.

• Being confident is positive. People who think otherwise is just wrong, and likely jealous and insecure.

• its the most cliche of advices and people usually need more information for them to accomplish their goals then just "Be Confident." I was never need to be told that but when i hear someone give that as advice i just wanna go up to them and spit in their face

• my confidence is 10

• another reason why i hate that advice is because confidence isn't something you can just have, it is something you gain through accomplishments. If you tell someone to just be confident with no reason to be confident they just become FAKES, POSERS, and look more ridicules than they would have been before because it is NOT REAL and people will see through that. i hate fake/posers

• I love confidence.

• Probably a 9 on the confidence scale. I am pretty content with my life right now and I'm oozing confidence right now. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• I want ice cream pizza pasta tacos but no large coke :P

• why not? sodas are lifeeeeeee!

• Yeah I don't really like them that much and if I want one I am super picky about my sodas like I only like dr. pepper or ginger ale coke is okay if its small :)

• Usually 5. Sometimes solid 10.

• It varies but usually low. I don't hate on people who have confidence, but I am always kind of jealous of them.

• People can hate it because there's a fine line between confident and rude/obnoxious

• probably about an 8...

• Confidence is not something I require. I already know I am greater than all foolish mortals.

• I think confidence is fine and a fair amount of it is a stong point... though some people are overly confident and can't take any criticism without freaking out :o

• who says anything is wrong with it?

What Girls Said 5

• 3 on bad days, 6 on good days.

• i voted for "Oh look a puppy..."
    but back to your question i'm not much of a confident person but i think the reason why people hate it is when it turns into over confidence like when those people are like too full of themselves and it turns into arrogance and that those people think that they are better than anyone else (which is not true in most cases)

• 3 - because i tie a large part of my self-esteem to my looks
    i know it shouldn't be that way but i can't help it...

• Eh, I say about an 8 :/

• My confidence is about a 9 😉 I like that song too!