Why are the fun things so expensive?

I was so excited, my brother moved away recently and he said "my car will be yours to use" and he left this beautiful G37 parked in my driveway

Why are the fun things so expensive?
then we went to the insurance company and my dads like "I'm not paying this much for car insurance" LOL but I have 800-900 saved up so I tried my best to persuade him to let me help. I got a long speech about value and responsibility bla bla etc no luck haha

it was only just a dream :(

why are the fun and beautiful things in life so expensive and hard to get?

Incredible! My brother convinced my dad and my dad told me "you have become the responsible mature young man I always envisioned, it is yours we will buy it from your brother"

Now to learn how to drive a 6-Speed 😈

Most Helpful Girl

• I knew early on that I wanted to drive. I started babysitting at age 10 and just saved. I got some other jobs and actually employed just as I turned 16. I made the $200/month insurance payments plus other payments because that's what I wanted.

I got the same speech growing up, about responsibility. My family didn't have a lot of money growing up, but once we did I still had to bust my butt to earn what I wanted. Sadly, that's life. But I think working towards what you truly want makes you stronger and a better person. You can do it if you really want it! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• "why are the fun and beautiful things in life so expensive and hard to get?"

Because if they weren't, you wouldn't appreciate them.

Take this car: yes, you'd love to be able to drive it, and it would be great fun, but you'd probably be tempted to drive it too fast and to take dumb chances (texting while driving, being distracted by friends in the car, etc.), and the bottom line is: you can't afford to fix it if you break it. So... if you broke it, you'd be out a car and your brother would be out a car. That's not right.

If, on the other hand, you worked your ass off to afford a nice car (even if it wasn't this nice), you'd naturally be MUCH more careful with it, and tend to take much better care of it, because you worked so hard for it. You would understand its value.

People generally don't value things that are given to them freely, but they DO tend to value things they had to work hard for. That's one of the reasons welfare (in all of it's many forms, including housing, medicine, and so on) is so often unsuccessful: if it's "free", then it has little value to people who receive it.

What Girls Said 21

• you need to work hard for them, thats all, save the insurance money and afford it without your dad.

• I have the money but it's my dad who thinks I need a simpler car -_- like he doesn't want me anywhere near this beauty

• As well he shouldn't... It's a pretty expensive car.

• Your bro is trusting you with it though, if thats the case its up to you and your bro if you pay for it yourself

• Because they naturally need money to run. If you want to go paragliding, skydiving, zip lining etc all costs lots because they need trained staff and all the expensive equipment. It's just how it is.

Surely you could pay monthly? I pay monthly for my insurance.

• Because some people will spend a lot of money to "experience fun things."
    Life is boring, people have a very average maybe even lower of a lifestyle. If you have the money and the time to experience fun, people don't care, they will pay for it.

The world is to market "fun things" for a lot of money. It helps the economy.

• 'Cause people know they're fun.

• Ikr! I really wanted to get a Porsche Cayenne for my first car and the price of the actual car is even affordable but the price of the insurance is astronomic!
    So frustrating, I can't even imagine how much worse it is if you already have the car! I totally feel you tho, man..

• How much was the insurance: 100 to 200? I dont think thats bad at all. There are cheaper places to go as well.

• it's pretty high at 275-290ish I forgot even under his policy, but honestly I could afford the insurance it's just my dad doesn't want me any here near the car

• Simple; because those people/companies know how fun/exciting or useful they are. And they know that many will want it so badly, that they will be able to bring up that much money, sooner or later.

If we really want or need something, we will always find a way to get it. It's that easy (;

So, they use this weakness, make fantastic advertises etc... and there our hunger to get that thing rises up again.😂

• my dad put land mines round the car as well as an electric brace around my ankle if I come within 2 yards of the car I'm not gunna be able to use it even if I want it that bad lol

• Why would somebody do that o. o sounds almost like he wants to keep it for himself, not you😂😂

• I don't know...

• Because you have to have the income to have such things, can your brother not put you on his insurance, that may be cheaper. Don't know how yours works but here you can add a named driver and you could just pay your brother the difference.

• that's not the problem the problem is my dad doesn't want me anywhere near this beauty even if I have the money

• Oh, well tough luck then!

• Don't let her go!!! 😢😭😭😭😭

• she's my baby

• it's a Romeo and Juliet story my dad doesn't let me have her

• cruel world.. why is you dad being the villain? he can't possibly understand the love.. :(

• Wow that really sucks. Expensive because its in demand.

• Nice 👌 Your brother can park one of those in my driveway any day, haha :P

• The world evolves around money now.

• Going to the beach is and check out girls is free...
    Going to the beach with your sexy girlfriend is also free and fun...

Once you are 25 do t worry insurance will go down by half 👌

• Because if they were cheap, everyone would have it ? aha i dunno aye , it sucks tho! hahah

• Try shopping around at other insurance companies.

• because fun stuff is in demand

• I WANT IT!!!

• Yea exactly! All the cool stuff are hard to get:(
    Oh no the car... so close yet so far:'(

• it's like a couple of meters away from me LOL

• Even girls are expensive amaright? ahahahah

• Yeah I agree with you and it doesn't have to be money to be expensive

What Guys Said 42

• I'd imagine it's because the more work it takes to make something, the more expensive it is because the company has to make up for the cost of making the product, and add on some extra for profit as well. And the more rare something is, the more manufacturers can add on profit.

A lot of work goes into designing and building a Ferrari. On top of that, there are relatively low numbers of them being made. And they can just add to the price because they know people will pay for the brand name and image. It's scarcity.

It sucks, but there really isn't any way to cheat it.

• PS just used Ferrari as an example because they are rare. I know that the G37 is an Infiniti model.

• - Supply and demand. It takes labor, skill, and raw materials in varying quantities to make a product. All of these are finite.
    - Upkeep. You need fuel to propel your car, you need oil to keep the engine running, you need to replace your tires when they wear thin, you need to replace the water pump when it starts to leak. Everything breaks down eventually. Aside: do you know what "boat" stands for? Break Out Another Thousand.
    - Research & development. That car drives fast because of the millions of dollars and hours that were invested in things like developing stronger and lighter materials for the body, or tuning the engine to deliver both power AND efficiency, or tires that don't shred right away.
    - Safety. Driving a car is fun. Driving a car with a brake glitch is not. Skydiving is fun. Skydiving with a cheap parachute that works 75% of the time is not (for at least 1 in 4 people, anyway).

• If they weren't then everyone and their dog would have them. Like water. Everyone has them and they are pretty cheap. You can live without a car but you will die in about 2-3 days without water.

I'd sell the car fast. Probably spend 300 for a 'sell my car detail service'. Having a cool car while you are dining in instant noodles isn't that great. Modern cars certainly falls in prices over time. You instantly lose the moment to buy it and you have to cough up some serious money to keep it in shape and running. It's like a pretty girlfriend who doesn't work and gets ugly over time if you don't spend money for her shopping. After a couple years, you spend a fortune on her (like 30k+) and she becomes ugly and old anyways.

• "Having a cool car while you are dining in instant noodles isn't that great."

Can confirm. I got a nice car too early, thinking that I could handle it and thinking that by the time I fully grew up all the nice cars would be gone so I'd better have fun now while I still could.

It was fun for a little while, but it stopped being fun when I realized that although I had a car, I was still calling friends for rides and some friends lived so far away it would take a whole tank of gas to get there and back, and then once I returned, I'd have to get gas again. Not to mention repairs, insurance, and having to renew the license plate and city sticker every year. Gas and repairs were hard, but insurance and those fees, they were just a bitch. Whenever those came due, I couldn't buy anything else that month.

Anyway. I still like nice cars. But when all your money goes to gas, repairs, insurance, and fees, it takes all the fun out of having one. Better to wait until you have money to burn.

• in my opinion the G37 has an outdated look, Infiniti's also are pieces of shits because everything goes wrong with them (I used to own an Infiniti) and they guzzle fucking gas like a thirsty slut slurping down a cum shot. On top of that the insurance is very high, and even though it may look luxurious (outdated luxurious) everyone will know the year and price of this whip because its a car you see on the road often, its not like some maserati where even after the car's value depreciates heavily after 5 years, everyone still thinks its new because those kind of cars barely ever get mileage or are usually preserved by their owners and dealerships for mint condition

My advice is fuck this infiniti, sell it and get yourself an a Toyota or Honda EXL with the same features.

• Because many people confuse cost with value. Most decent Road or Triathlon bikes are well over $1000, with truly professional models in the $10000-$15000 range. Since I'm decent, but never ever going to actually compete in one of the grand tours (Giro, Vuelta, Tour, etc.) I'm not ever going to have sponsors throwing expensive equipment at me for free.

So, instead of bitching that a fun bike costs too much, I've watched for sales and dug through craigslist and ebay and built a bike that is as fun and as fast as $2000 models for well under $350.

Now, obviously it is a shitload harder to build up a fun car; but driving a little standard transmission at its limits through the mountain roads of Northern California is just as challenging as doing so in a Porsche or Corvette. The absolute average speed will be higher in a truly sporting car. The challenge and reward to the skilled driver will be just the same in anything.

One of the worst aspects of modern culture, in my opinion, is the conflation of conspicuous consumption with fun.

• The insurance is high because at 18, you have as a best-case scenario two years driving experience. You also have youth and recklessness on your side, and will likely stack a high performance luxury coupe off a cliff at 150mph and into an orphanage full of nuns and kittens.

Sucks, I know. Unfortunately, accident statistics are on their (insurer's) side, hence the high cost. I drove older, less powerful cars until I was almost 30, when I could finally afford both a nicer car (Celica) and the insurance to drive it.

• yea I know it sucks, looks like I'll have to settle for a crappy boring honda civic like the rest...

• Don't forget to look for older, nicer, well-maintained cars too. It's a trade off when it comes to age in terms of condition and reliability, but they're also usually cheaper to insure. You could have a Cadillac provided you looked for an old enough one, for example.

• I found an old and well maintained car but my dad probably wouldn't let me get it either

• Ooooh farsty.
    @Ihav2fart
    LOOKEY LOOKEY

• not all things fun are expensive and not all things expensive are fun... but I do know what you mean. to me it's important to find things that bring great joy that are free or even cheap

as the saying goes 'the best things in life are free'

• ahh yes the ol insurance issue , like the UK the younger you are the chances are it going to cost you a lot more , and as @Hannah591 say's when something is not working properly it costs a lot my Citroen has a problem with its traction control system the garage want £50 or around $80 just to hook the car up to the Citroen system to find the fault then its going to cost me a lot again to fix it whatever is wrong with it and the newer the car especially like your bro's one the more expensive the parts will be.

you are 18 aswell in most countries 18-25 is danger area for insurers , in the uk the average price for a new 17 yr old male driver is around 3-4k even on a small relatively cheap car. but being older does help slightly mine was £325.00 for a year fully comprehensive but i am going to likely end up with a slightly higher cost next year due to a non fault bump earlier this year.

• Get a job you could easily pay the insurance with a job.
    Or just drive uninsured and don't get pulled over.

• read the other comments I posted

• You have 800 - 900 saved up ey?

http://i.imgur.com/uMOF8hvl.jpg

These rims are for sale and they'd look quite sexy on that cope ;P

• trust me I would but it's only a matter of time before my dad puts an electric brace around my ankle that shocks me whenever I'm 15 yards within the car

• LOL! Why?

• Check around becuse if ur doing liability it's cheeper but you might have to do full cov witch might be 130+ a month so if u tell him ull go 60/40 u might be able to do it but then if u mess up the Carr ur fucked and it's more then responsibility that's in a car. And no back seat bitches (you know what I mean)

• Because life sucks sometimes.

• Get a job delivering pizza, make bank.

But a car is more than fun. It brings great responsibility, freedom, opportunity, status, and financial stress. Those things go just go together

• I have a job dude it's just my dad doesn't want me anywhere near the car, the price is just an excuse for him not letting me drive this beauty

• Maybe another job? You're 18, living under your dad's rule and perhaps roof, and not paying for your own insurance.
      Pizza delivery remains a valid suggestion.

• Gotta pay to play. As they say...

• Because those that are rich want to torture the rest of us. And I'm not necessarily talking about your dad.

• because everybody likes to have fun so why not make those things expensive and make money out of them?

if we make the boring things expensive we would all starve to death, and you best believe this

• Why?
    That's life
    That's liiiifeeeee
    That's what all the people say.
    That's why.
    i.ytimg.com/vi/B5_h_IaXMh0/maxresdefault.jpg

• Honestly, sounds like you're waaaayyyyyyyy too young for an G37s. Naturally aspirated 6 cyl boasting over 350hp. You need to get a more reasonable beginner car. Pontiac grandam if you want something a little sporty but nothing with any real power.

• Because the people who provide them know people will pay big money for them.

People easily become a bit like sheep fawning over the best grazing area, and some people know how to take advantage of that to suit their own interests.

• It depends on what you see as fun and beautiful I guess.

• Smart guy, because supply and demand.

• Supply and demand.

Fun and beautiful things in life are in great demand.

• because no one pays for boring

• Because capitalism and materialism go hand in hand.

• I would have told him to sign it over to me. Then sell it. Use the money to get something just as good and cheaper on insurance.

• There are also cheap fun and beautiful things

• That's what commercialism does to people.

• i don't want fast cars with solid suspension low pro wheels im looking at bigger things like jeeps insurance on them are expensive as fuck too im thinking of getting a dacia duster and do the 3 year payment scheme i have €5100 so far

• fun things cost unfortunate it suck that is why you need to get a job dude

• I got one man it's my dad that's the problem

• More from Guys
    12