Why does improper English piss me off?

Every time I check Facebook my rage meter fills rapidly due to seeing so many popular posts created by people who are so illiterate that they can't spell "you," which, I understand, is a 'shortcut' but it doesn't end there. People use the incorrect homophones and sometimes go out of their way to spell something with more characters than the correct word they intend to use (example: ... went too the store). Is it really that difficult to spell three-letter words? Certain grammatical errors are understandable because I know there are a lot of specific rules that people don't bother to check. I appear as a complete ass for this: my immediate impression of that illiterate person is that he/she is stupid, an abomination, has zero worth as a human whose species spent thousands of years developing languages, etc... The thing is that I know better than that. I know that person probably isn't a retard. Why am I so offended by improper English? I'm not perfect and I look up anything of which I'm not sure. Even when I think I'm sure and someone corrects me, I thank them.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's okay to feel that way, I think a lot of people might think you're being a picky and maybe there's some truth to that, but I think it more has to do with you than it does with them. Take myself for example, I see the same things as you do and whenever I read those types of sentences I read them as they're written. "I'm going TOO the store" the way I read it as if if they're saying too much of something. I read it the way it's written even though I understand what the message is they're trying to convey. Also when someone says "As a women I..." those tend to bother me a lot because it seems like it's something so simple. As long as you're not being mean to people because of it then you're fine. I know plenty of people that feel the same as you and I. :D

What Girls Said 3

• Went to* the store. 😊
    I don't get too angry about it. I do understand where you are coming from though.
    Oh, the art of not giving a fuck... How I love you! ❤

• Y day annyoyin 2 u fam? U don't like text lingo even doe its bae?

• You have serious anger issues if you're this upset over this. Sure it's annoying but to get this worked up? Not normal

What Guys Said 6

• If your way of thinking isn't considered a mental illness, then it should be. I'm 100% serious. Grammar doesn't freaking matter as long as it's readable.

Why does it piss you off? I don't know, but for your own mental health you should learn to deal with it. You are way too obsessed with it.

Yes, the human species took thousands of years developing language, but you don't seem to understand the purpose. The purpose is to communicate. As long as it serves that purpose then it's OK. Language is dynamic, and it must be dynamic. It could never have developed in the first place it that wasn't true.

In truth, there is no such thing as proper grammar. There are only things that are accepted by a small handful of people. Those people have no more right to decide what is, or is not, "proper" than any of the other millions of people who use the language. A tenured English professor at Oxford or Harvard has no more right to tell me how to speak or write, than I do to tell them how to speak or write.

Grammar is a learning tool. It can be used to dissect language in order to understand the various ways it could be understood, or misunderstood. It allows people to understand common traps, where the language is understood in a way other than the writer intended. Once the writer understand that, it's up to them to change it or not change it as they see fit. But there should never be a rule that says a person MUST do it a certain way. Even though it's a good idea, there should never be a rule that says they should learn it in the first place.

• You're too concerned about it, you are expecting others to have the same priorities as you do.

I get annoyed if it takes me extra effort to understand what a person is saying because of their poor grammar, but I'm from Texas, we're rather relaxed about it.

A common rule here is, "Can you understand me? Yes... Good enough.".

• Ohh don't be so uptight.

• beecos dere two kool 4 skool
    ya get me man?

• 0|1