If Germany doesn't have a defense system, then why do they hate us for being over there?

My dad was telling me that Germany is not allowed to have a defense system, for obvious reasons. We're actually best friends with them (the u. s.) but, we happen to have about 65,000 troops over there, stationed. Why?

1|0
1|5

Most Helpful Girl

• Nato. The usa provides a certain amount of troops to help defend Europe since ww2. The Germans have their own military thats a world beater. The British have just given up their bases. The Germans dont want the usa there anymore. The USA has airbases in Britain too. Its called force projection these bases support American forces far from home in places like Afghanistan and iraq just like the Pacific bases.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• We had an occupation force in Germany after WWII. As the cold war started to escalate and Germany was divided into East and West Germany, the function of the occupation force assumed a more defensive posture, to protect American interests in West Germany and make sure that it did not fall into the hands of communists. The strategic location of Germany now makes it an ideal place for us to have air bases.

If you are German, it is probably perceived as rather imperial for the US to still have an occupation force on German soil, it is a reminder of the past, and it symbolizes the perception that Germany is unable to defend itself.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 4

• Germany does have a self defense force. Germany is also part of NATO as well. I'm not sure how well the Germans accept the American armed forces, but most foreigners don't mind us. We have forward deployed bases because it is part of our defense strategy. It's projecting power in advance and being able to respond to crisis.

0|1
    0|0
  • The US had an occupation force Post-WW2 which basically became a bastion against Soviet aggression.

Germany likewise was allowed to rearm because of fears of a World War 3 in Europe against the USSR. They've had a military since the 1950s and make a ton of weapons.

0|0
    0|0
  • Germany does have a defense force. They are part of NATO. The US has stationed troops there since the 40's.

0|0
    0|0
  • Heard about the treaty of Versailles? It's all linked to that my friend :) read about it

0|0
    0|1