Who would you consider smarter?

Someone with a higher IQ and are socially smart (read people's feelings very well and so on) or someone who's really well educated and updated with politics etc?

• The one with the higher IQ
  • The well educated one
  • Results

Most Helpful Guy

• IQ. Someone can be really well read and still be stupid. Having an encyclopaedic knowledge of facts can make someone good at trivia, but is pretty useless if they can't process that information and do anything with it. Facts and data have never been easier to come by in the history of humanity. Instant access to the wealth of human knowledge can be incredibly useful in the hands of an incredibly intelligent person.

Consider your example of someone up to date in politics. Your person with a low IQ, but who knows all the politicians and their platforms, won't be able to do anything with that knowledge. Without the pattern recognition, deductive leaps, and overall comprehension of a good IQ, the person isn't going to be able to make educated assumptions about how those politicians would react in situations not covered by the course material. A person with a high IQ but with no knowledge of the political candidates wouldn't be able to know how the would react in uncovered situations either... at first. However, they would be able to simply do some reading about the politicians, their policies and practices, and make some leaps of logic to predict what would be more likely in particular situations. IQ provides the ability to make future predictions based on the data, as opposed to just a memorization of the data.

For some tasks that simply require knowing a huge amount of stuff, the education is more important... it can take a lot of time to acquire the necessary amount of knowledge to even know what things to look up. But for anything that requires a person to actually do something with information other than regurgitate it, IQ is needed. You need that pattern recognition to understand how things will work in similar, but undocumented situations.

Most Helpful Girl

• Higher IQ and socially smart. Some of those people seem to be the most caring, understanding and compassionate. Some of the best educated people can be the most coldest and unfeeling or uncompassionate people, I swear! You can have all the textbook knowledge in the world, but if you don't understand how people are and how they work, and put that knowledge to use to actually HELP others, then it's all useless in my opinion.

What Guys Said 16

• They're smarter than the other, in their own subjects
    but having a high IQ doesn't necessarily make a person smart
    it simply suggests how fast they learn/adapt.

• I'll take the third option, the one with the better common sense.

• I think the high IQ and is socially smart can also be really well educated and updated on politics of they so choose too but not necessarily the other way around

• True, nice answer :)

• Thanks :)

How's Sweden by the way, I heard its an amazing place to live

• I don't really have anything to compare it to but I like it here! :) except for the short summers haha 🙈

How's Canada? :)

• Communication skills and emotional intelligence are critical too

• By definition, it's the IQ guy. I use the word "intelligent" when i desbribe the educated guy. Am i wrong? I'd be happy if a native speaker corrected me.

• Depends on their common sense really. Some people are really smart, but have no common sense. An educated person probably has common sense.

• Having a high IQ alone doesn't mean jack shit if you don't do anything with it.

• Having a high IQ makes you intelligent

Having good common sense makes you wise

• Higher IQ now tho I think IQ rating can be total bullshit. I'm under 100iq in a school for only smart people, IQ tests are all about speed

• Having a large supply of useless information doesn't equate with intelligence.

• IQ is known to be misleading as a measurement of intelligence, so the well educated one.

• I only said IQ cause education is only important to companies and other educated people.

• REALLY? You guys know nothing compared to me because I have a bachelor's degree.

• dayumm them red lips tho ;)

• IQs are an artificial number, but the well educated isn't the smartest — good grades ≠ intelligent. I seem to have this discussion with every self-declared "smart" person who gets their "intelligence" from their grades. Someone with an IQ of like 100 could finish university and still not be the smartest, it doesn't matter.

• I think both are quite intelligent.

What Girls Said 3

• IQ is irrelevant.

• IQ, all the way, because there are lots of stupid people with diplomas... education can't make everybody smart.

• the higher iq.