What's the most irritating dialect of your native language?

Which kind of dialectal/vernacular/jargon/slang speech is the most annoying in your native language?

Most Helpful Guy

• In Croatian language, I'm sure that most people (including myself) consider kajkavian dialect to be the most irritating. It's spoken mostly in north-west parts of Croatia, and it resembles more to Slovene language, rather than the official Croatian (Shtokavian dialect).

• Yeah, I know, I speak Croatian, and I also think kajkavian is really very irritating.

• Thanks for the MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• omg jersey is so fucking annoying ITS A JERSEY THING

• LOL, I know, there was an episode of South Park about "Jersey Thing" :P

• ty for the mho :D

What Guys Said 6

• All the dialects in the north east of Switzerland (cantons of Thurgau, St. Gallen and Appenzell) are pretty ugly. And it's not just me who thinks so... according to a linguistic survey, the majority of the country thinks that way... except for the people who speak these dialects obviously ;-).

• I personally think the heavy New England accent is pretty harsh to hear.

• Ugh! I hate the eastern dialect germans have! XD this typical saxony dialect! Uuuuuuuuurrrrrghhhhhhhh..

• Yeah... Sächsisch is a rather uncomfortable to listen to. They all sound like they constantly have a cold or something like that ;-).

• Ok, thanks for the info :)

• Lets compare it with students:
      We have the normal guys who speak the normal german without any dialekt.
      Then we have the geeks, with the Saxon dialect. Who sound like this: http://youtu.be/UCAaZBbTvxc
      And then in my personal opinion the cool guys with the cologne dialect who sound very chill and kinda rude in a funny way but still likeable. In this example you hear darth vaider in the cologne dialect and everyone else in normal german. I dont know if you'll notice the difference, a german does. http://youtu.be/leMPeFW-fXU

• The dialect/slang spoken in Rotterdam

• I see, what's so irritating in their slang?

• I am from Amsterdan and people from those cities don;t like ecah other very much

• I get that, my city also has rivalry with some other cities :P

• Dialect starts at 0:21, before that normal Belgian Dutch is spoken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnS01GVHxk4

• What's the difference between Dutch and Flemish?

• I don't think Walloon is as distinctive as Flemish is to Dutch, there's some differences though (e. g. in Wallonia people often use septante, huitante, nonante for 70, 80, 90, whereas in France soixante-dix, quatre-vingt and quatre-vingt-dix are used).

• I get it, ok, thanks :)

• I must say talking like a cowboy.

• Like in Texas, or like in Nevada, Oklahoma, or some other state?

• Texas would be the prime example.

• I see, ok, thanks :)

What Girls Said 6

• I think every arab dialect has it's charm, the Egyptian one is romantic, the Lebanese/Syrian/Jordanian/Palestinian is soft the North African is more complicated to understand but I love it. I also like Arabian peninsula Dialects in general EXCEPT the ones who comes from the desert (the newbies), sometimes it makes my ears bleed.

BUUUT I hate it when Arabs who live in France/Europe try too hard, they deform the accent and they make my ears bleed as-well.

• From the desert, you mean in Saudi Arabia?

• In Saudi Arabia they don't all live in the desert, I prefer the Saudi accent from the people who lived in big cities fro centuries over the accent of people who just moved to the cities like a couple of decades ago

• I see, ok, thanks :)

• Shanghainese and Hainanese ughh 😖

• What do they sound like, what's so irritating about them?

• Ahah sorry I couldn't help 🙈

• It's ok :D

• 1|1
  • (BTW I'm Korean) The fact that there's no different letters for f and p ; they're pronounced the same..
    That goes for the pronounciation of r and l as well. This makes a lot of Koreans speaking English really hard to understand because I'm used to you know, native English speaking.

• Are there any differences between Korean language in North and South Korea?

• The names for some things are kinda different, and North Koreans stress their words more than we do.

• So their accent is a bit more rigid?

• Fujin. Something about that smug dialect makes me want to deck them all in the face.

• I see, so they sound like some arrogant snobs? :P

• Same could be said of anyone who talks like that though, in any dialect of any language. Another one is Shanghai chinese. Some of the words they say just... sound smooshed together and cramped. I dunno how to explain.

• Ok, I understand your point of view ;)

• If we count in all the dialects of Serbo-Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin languages, I think Serbian Ekavica (Ekavian dialect) is the most irritating, at least for me, and most of us Montenegrins.

• Yeah, I totally agree... I'm Montenegrin too.