Why does beauty exist?

What's the purpose of beauty? I'm not talking about just the beauty of 'living things' just.. Everything.. So why do you think beauty exist?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• To appeal to our visual senses and to balance out the "ugly." There's symmetry in nature, with as much bad out there there has to be just as much good for this world to work. Beauty has the ability to persuade, calm, and stimulate... and that's important for humanity to lead successful (in terms of survival) and fulfilling lives.

What Guys Said 7

• It's our compensation for the ugliness in the world.

• Beauty is coorelated with health. Additionally symetric and proportional things are easier for the brain to process which makes us prefer looking at them.

• Same as flowers. Some have very very strong colors and odors to catch a pray, to eat if it's a carnivorous, or to make polen go with insects so it can be a mom flower.

Same thing with us. We use it as a tool to survive, to get attention of the others and get the benefits from that.

• Well, cause people make it a existent , i see beauty in the eyes of the beholder.

• There is a biological safty in thinking a open mediw looks better then a rotting dead body

• The question is why do we see some things as beautiful and not others? There is no reason why a gazelle should be beautiful and a warthog ugly. A lot of it obviously comes down to health, a healthy looking human is more beautiful, as is a healthy seeming environment. Another part is resemblance to a human baby or child, there the instinctive cherishing of beauty is part of what keeps us from neglecting or killing children.

• The more expanded appreciation of beauty is probably an ornament for sexual selection, like a peacock's tail. People who can appreciate and produce beauty can make themselves more desirable to the opposite sex.

• Haha I appreciate beauty everywhere, in everything.. I love beauty :)

• Beauty exists people humans are visually stimulated.

What Girls Said 3

• As in, physical beauty of humans? It's an indicator of your genetic diversity and the likelihood of survival of your potential offspring.

• There is no such thing as beauty it's just what we call the opposite of ugly or vis versa.

I saw this somewhere. I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

• so their could be social hierarchy and something to entertain ourselves with