Is it weird if a British person writes “colour” as “color”?

Most Helpful Girl

• In indonesian slang, "kolor" means men's underpants

Most Helpful Guy

• I would surmise that they are more used to American English perhaps lived in states or worked for American company or simply have American spellcheck on their PC.

• Sorry got mixed up there - American English is more phonetic than UK English - I think most people realise there are two versions of some words - Speaking of lost in translation, spare a thought for my friend in a bar in Texas who was very drunk and wanted a cigarette uttered the phrase "I'm pissed and need a fag".

• "spare a thought for my friend in a bar in Texas who was very drunk and wanted a cigarette uttered the phrase "I'm pissed and need a fag"."

^oh... poor guy... :/

• Thanks for MHG

What Girls Said 7

• I don't know, but here in Canada, people consider it weird/funny when you write it like "color." My English teacher was even mad when she saw it in some students' essays. She wrote it on the board and said look at this aweful looking word lol. xD

• I feel like outside of English class, this doesn't really matter. They're literally pronounced identically.

• It would be eye-cathing for me because I learn British English, and I learned that it as "colour", not "color". However, gramatically speaking both are correct, so it's not important.

• No one cares enough to think that its weird

• No it's not weird.

• No, we are right, Americans are wrong :p

• No it's not to me

What Guys Said 2

• well actually most British people spell it colour, not color.

color is American English.

• wait, I've just realised what you were actually asking lol.

it doesn't really matter how you spell it. if you are British and choose to use the American English version no one will care.

• It's weird that Americans write "color".

• So does 'colour' rhyme with 'our' or 'or' in your language.

• From where I'm from it literally sounds like "cu-ler" or "cul-uhr".

• Yes, I hear 'cu-ler' a lot here in the US Midwest where many people have poor enunciation. The way I say it sounds more like 'cuh-lor'. I also pronounce the second 'a' in caramel, the existence of which, most of my compatriots seem to be unaware of.