How common do you think people being attracted to their cousins is?

I was having this discussion with my friend last night, I feel like we're made to feel more taboo than it really is. You don't live with that person and they aren't a part of your immediate family, is it as strange as make it out to be?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well it depends on whether you grew up close with them or not. My cousin is like my brother so I can't even think about being attracted to him. But if you didn't grow up with them I could see it a little. But not like "OMG I want you" just like "Oh my cousins cute.".

• Yeah, we also thought it depended on how well you knew them. If you had a cousin you see all the time it would be less likely that you're attracted to them than one you see maybe once a year...

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it is certainly more common than what most people think it is. I can tell you without feeling ashamed that I had a huuuge crush on my cousin who's 4 years older throughout my whole puberty and early 20s. She has always been someone who gets a lot of compliments for her looks and she even did this nude modelling (when my aunt told me about that as a teenager, I remember it made me really horny for my cousin haha ;-)). My cousin is also a super sweet and caring girl, so it's not hard to also fall for her emotionally. Nothing ever happened and I don't think she even knows any of this but I can tell you that I was often daydreaming of her. Maybe it's also because I didn't see her frequently... so when I saw her, it didn't feel so much like we're cousins, it felt more like meeting an old friend.

Personally, I don't see anything problematic with liking your cousin. I don't know about the law in America but in my country Switzerland, it's actually legal to marry and live with your cousin as a couple.

What Girls Said 3

• Not gonna lie, when I was younger I had a crush on my 3rd cousins, but it's not like we were close and/or grew up together, we saw each other like once every two three years.
    A little crush is harmless. What matters is that you don't act on it.

• I think it is actually pretty common. Most people have the willpower not to act on it. And most do not talk about it or admit it, because it is considered taboo. I personally do not see anything wrong in thinking a family member is attractive. It is when it is acted upon or you start fantasizing about them that the line is crossed that probably should not be. I have several cousins, aunts and uncles whom I think are attractive, but I do not think of them in a sexual way.

• I truly don't think crushes on first cousins is that common, as they still share quite a bit of your genetic code. But after that, I could see it being more likely.

What Guys Said 3

• It is more common than we are made to believe. I would certainly NOT want to find myself in that situation, though. It's really awkward for me, and perhaps gross too.

• very common. and its very hidden. I read stories on net of many families doing incest and live fine like they haven't done incest.

i have hot cousin biggest booty ever. I don't call it attracted, but if she hot then she hot.

• I think science has shown it is very bad to actually do anything with cousins, but as far as harmlessly finding them attractive, or the occasional sex fantasy is no big deal at all.

• Right, exactly.

• That's not quite sure. New research actually shows that incest among siblings is less dangerous than it was believed for many decades. The chance of giving birth to a mentally or physically disabled child if one reproduces with their sister or brother is only marginally higher than if they reproduce with anyone else. The difference is so small that it could also be caused by things such as alcohol consumption, smoking or certain medications. It is only when the children of a sibling-couple reproduce with each other yet again that the risk for a disabled child because really big. So considering that, I can't see too much being wrong with sexually liking one's cousin.