(christian) parents blame my music taste on why im an athiest?

i listen to rock bands now, i ussed to listen to heavy metal but i turned soft and my parents are pissed off telling me that bands are the reason i dont believe in god and they won't let me go to a MAYDAY PARADE concert! i told them that was stupid. they took away my ipod annd now all i have is my laptop, so yeah im stuck with no music and i cang get them to understand that their being unfair and unreasonable.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm that is stupid, I'm not sure that you can convince them though. You cannot reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into. You could try logically bringing it up and pointing out why that's not why you became atheist, but I'm not sure it'll work. I'm sorry.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow, this is the reason I don't follow any religion whatsoever. I'm not an atheist, I happen to be very spiritual and feel there is a source for all that is. But religions are just humans' way of trying to make sense of it and control each other.

Since you're still a teen and obviously living under your parents' roof then I'm sorry to tell you, you're just gonna have to bite the bullet and put up with their rules until you're out on your own. You have your own reasons for not believing in a God or whatever, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with the music you've listened to. Heck, when I was your age I didn't believe in anything myself. It wasn't until I grew older, started working on improving myself, began meditating that I learned there was something more out there than what our eyes can see.

Your parents are just trying to be good parents. In their minds, their actions are protecting/helping you. You can't fault them for not knowing what they don't know. Just give them some slack, accept them for who they are. Maybe if you relax and don't give them the typical teen attitude for a while, they'll consider giving you your stuff back. Maybe...

What Guys Said 3

• With all the Prophecy's that have come to pass and a bloodmoon happening tomorrow night in fact and not that there will ever be a good time to be one, but I would say you sure picked a really bad time right now to be a atheist. I will say that much.

• Just wait until nothing happens and all you doomsayers just push back the date again. Like John Hagee after the world didn't end in 2012. Apparently the end times are happening all the time and the world just keep getting better and better than before.

• Oh it most definitely going to happen alright, but it's not going to happen when or because man says it's time to happen. It's going to happen when you least expect it to happen and when God is ready for it to happen. And then it will be too late for all the naysayers. The events are still leading up to it.

• It's time you educate your parents on the existence of Christian Death Metal bands like Crimson Thorn. There's a lot of aggressive grungy music with Christian overtones and messages. If that doesn't prove to them that your music choice did not affect your believes, nothing will.

• Tell them "What you call religion is what normal people consider a diagnosis, the only difference is that you call it christianity and think it's acceptable trying to convert people into your way of thinking. The only difference between you and people with schizophrenia is that they know it's not fucking GOD talking to them, now fuck off and keep your nasty religion away from me, it has nothing to do with music"

What Girls Said 0