Will we ever beat cancer?

So a friend of mine's grandfather is fighting cancer for the 5th time. It's amazing how a man of his age can last 4 times. Are we ever going to beat it? For good?

PS. Here's a link to his grandfather's blog and his gofundme to help get money for his grandfather

http://davidknauber.net/
https://www.gofundme.com/zgfuj4

• Yes
  • No
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• I like to think so but every cancer is different even though we can give names to similar variations. The reason they are all different is because cancer is a mutation of your cells (to put it very simply) so you can't use the same treatment on everyone as ones cancer may react slightly different to another's. Although unfortunate its like an autoimmunity disease as its your body attacking itself, and you can teach your body (even with antibiotics) to fight against its self... Nether the less I really hope we do find a way to cure\prevent it. :/

Most Helpful Guy

• Only if we scrap the entire industrialized medical industry that profits off of cancer.

I mean we already have the cure, it's called hemp oil.

What Girls Said 5

• There are many different types of cancer - it's a very diverse and complicated set of diseases. Scientists, doctors, and others work towards finding cures and better treatment options everyday, but it's not easy, and I don't see them ever being completely eradicated. Who knows though, never say never.

We've made great strides in cancer research, and depending on the cancer there are people who make good recoveries and go on to live a normal life. Testicular cancer for instance, is highly curable and treatable for most people. Pancreatic cancer on the other hand is a whole other monster.

• :( I am so sorry that your friend is going through this right now. I'll pray for him and his family. Anything can happen so it's definitely possible to beat Cancer.

• Scientists are getting closer and closer to finding new ways to treat and manage cancer and I believe that a cure is close in sight. Trust me I'm involved with the research at uni! Whether the cure will be free and available to everyone is another matter.

• I hope so.

• I'd like to hope that some day, yes there will be a cure for cancer. It's so complex and diverse, though (so many different kinds).

I hope his grandfather will beat it again and stay in remission. I have a friend beat it twice before he was 30. A female friend of mine is going through treatment now.

What Guys Said 4

• There are many genetic factors so fixing one will not fix others and that is before you take into account the enviromental factors. Cancer is where a cells DNA gets damaged, this is most commonly a chemical reaction ie chemical alteration or heat. However when RNA combines with DNA it alters the genetic structure activating certain genes and deactivating others so sometimes it can activate a gene that on its own can effect cell replication/cell death (cancer cells do not die as they should crowding out healthy cells) or it could cause issues when combined with another. This unzipping of the DNA to combine with the RNA can also cause mutations which can cause cancer. So in short it will probably be along time since there are so many factors and while I think eventually we will be able to stop most forms of cancer I don't see us being able to prevent the naturally occuring mutations or obviously the enviromentally caused cancers. Hopefully we will have more effective treatments though.

• It could be possible, but we would first need to find the cause. I personally think the majority of the cause is our life span. after so long our cells breakdown and become cancerous, at least that's what I think

• Survival rates are much better now. I think it will take a long time, but we will get there.

• I sure hope not