Basic care for a goldfish?

So it turns out that one of my friends won a goldfish yesterday at some welcome back to uni thing but the goldfish is basically in a plastic tub thing. Because he has no idea how to look after it and realises it was a bad idea to get a goldfish when drunk, I am now going to have to take care of it for him. But I've never owned a goldfish either. Do I need to get it an air pump or a filter or would just changing the water every day be enough to keep it going (at least until I can go get a real tank)? Has anyone actually owned a goldfish that came to them in just a plastic bowl before? We're uni students, so the boyfriend and I can't put too much money into this but I also can't just not take it because I know my friend won't look after it. So... anyone wanna give me an idea how to set up a basic tank for this before it dies? :(

Most Helpful Guy

• get a proper fish bowl, get appropriate food and water treatment, i would say to replace the water every few days, pebbles and maybe a few small decorations. that should keep it healthy. just google it if you have to. that might actually be easier

Most Helpful Girl

• You don't have to change the water everyday. Do so 2-3 times a week. It will be more than enough.
    Decorate its place with rocks and shit like that and don't feed it too much. I've noticed that if you feed them once every 2 days they live longer than if you feed them once every day.
    However, If you decide to feed it once a day, don't throw much food in its bowl.

What Guys Said 3

• As a goldfish I would like a fish bowl X3 make sure to fed me everyday :( before school and when you sleep

Peebles help to keep fish bowl clean, and if possible some decorations, and maybe one day some fish companies

• Nothing really, just feed it. Change the water. That's about it

• Well you can decorate it with some pebble rocks, a caste, fake algae, and that's it! Just feed it everyday.

What Girls Said 1

• It's super cheap to look after goldfish but they tend to get ill easily. They get bloating a lot and if they lose scales or they discolour, it's usually a sign of illness/infection.
    All you need is a basic plastic tank, some small rocks to put on the bottom and some decoration/fake plants that it can swim through and change the water at least once a week.