Does breathing in and out really help when you're mad?

• Yes, it does.
  • No, it doesn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• Doesn't help as much as punching the one who made you mad thats for sure.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. I have to sit outside. Often it helps when it's raining and I just sit in the middle of the rain it helps a lot.

What Guys Said 12

• 2|0
    • That cat is so cute :D

• Like ambertaylor if done correctly it works. I close my eyes and just take very long and slow breaths in and out. I almost feel like I'm falling asleep after a few minutes of doing it.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...527251efba.jpg

• Cool, thanks for answering

• Not to me. They say it helps because you concentrate on the breathing, but I can't just stop thinking of what's making me mad or anxious just by breathing.

• Yeah and thanks for answering

• But you need to close your eyes and think of tranquil things

• Oh, thanks for answering

• Yes, but only if you know what you are doing.

One of the things we've discovered in pscyhology is that the mind-body connection works both ways. Emotions are actually often a response to your body. If all of the sudden your pulse gets higher and breathing quicker, your mind is affected by this. So if you're angry, it's EASIER to calm down if you treat both your body and mind at the same time.

Try looking up "body scan" exercises. These help you recognize where in your body stressors might be occurring, and help you eliminate them. For people who can't regulate their emotions through cognitive exercises alone, this is an excellent treatment. But it benefits everyone to some extent.

• It seems it helps but honestly I don't think it helps... It only adds more anger on me while doing that :)

• Yeah it does, thanks for answering

• Yeah but punching a bag helps too:)

• I find that screaming like a child helps.

• Yeah me too and thanks for answering

• It doesn't lessen anger but gives your brain a little more time and oxygen to concoct a better plan than flipping out and getting violent

• punching the wall may help

• Yeah it activates the 10th cranial nerve which is the command central for the parasympathetic nervous system which calms you

• u have to breathe in and out anyway if u want to live dummy

• I'm not a dummy, I'm just asking

What Girls Said 7

• It does help if you do it properly and relax your muscles as well as breath in and out deeply. It puts your body back in normal mode after a stressful episode where you heart rate is racing.

• Yeah and thanks for answering

• yes it sometimes does. but mostly i am too furious to do this shit

• Yeah me too and thanks for answering

• Sometimes it does some other times it doesn't. It usually doesn't help when your doing that and the person who made you angry keeps on talking shit.

• True, thanks for answering

• Not really, I feel better when I'm away from the problem and get time to calm myself down.

• Yes it does i think and trying to get to sleep also helps

• It depends on how mad they make you

• Oh and thanks for answering

• I wish it did. But it doesn't.

• Yeah, thanks for answering