Penalty charge. Old owner of car. Logbook on my name since 2011 ?

Ok so i bought a car on gumtreee -_- i dont need advice on i should have been careful ok yes i learned my lesson.. the problem is. The guy i bought the car of got a penalty charge before i got the car. I dont think he sent his half of the v5c in to the dvla. And i just realised that the car looks like I've had it since 2011.. I didn't even have a license then. I was taking lessons. So we paid him with cash. I have no proof I wasn't the one driving on the day the penalty had happened. I also have no proof of payment. No proof that this car didn't belong to me before the fate i bought it. What can i dom dvla is asking for recipt or cheque.. and the dart charge office is asking for confirmation lettrr from dvla.. and i dont want to pay for something i haven't done

Most Helpful Guy

• Just tell them the truth and hope they will excuse you of the charge. That is all you can do, if not then you will have to take it to court, which will probably cost you more than the charge itself.

Most Helpful Girl

• But you have the purchase date on the V5C and that was sent away before the penalty charge was even realised? Have you any way to prove where you were on the day of the charge? A receipt from somewhere a distance away? You just need to prove it was not you... Also, the Gumtree emails and phone calls to him, have you records? this should show when you viewed and bought the car :)

• Well thats the only prroof i have. Emals throgh gumtree. Do you recon i can call them? Also i have no idea where i was on the daye but bank statments good idea. I will look into that now... besidesss i can't even drive on the motorway im tooo scaredddd. And dartford really :D plus on the picture you can seee its a guy -_-

• ok I think you will find your logbook previous owners is before the guy who had it last so if you get your new V5c it should have 2 previous owners. It doesn't include the present...

• Exaclty it only has one owner so what do i do?

What Guys Said 1

• Sorry but if you don't have any proof of payment you have to get the seller to sign something saying that the car was sold to you on a certain date but I doubt he'll do that.

What Girls Said 1

• Didn't you get the New Keeper's slip when you bought the car? That should be signed and dated.

• Thisnis really baddd ! You see i dont know much about these stuff. And my dad never tells me or helps me out even when i ask him. So i leave it to him --_-- i think i got the wrong part. Or he dint send his part in im not sure i dont know ho things work. Nothings sighned on thinpaper. Its a bit i filll in and stuff i think

• I concur...

The 2 week thing is what is confusing me...

• Okk will do thank youu