Are there any feminists on this site? Why is there so much reluctance to rebranding feminism?

I wanted to aks feminists why is there so much reluctance to rebranding feminism. Feminism seems to be still pretty unpopular so I'm curious why feminists seem to hate the idea and reject it out of hand.

NOTE: Don't post if you're just going to rant about "feminazis".

Most Helpful Girl

• I would just prefer not to change the term to something like 'equalist'. It's fine for other people to do it, but I just don't want to. (If this is what you mean by 'rebranding'). As far as I'm concerned, it is usually feminine things that get criticised or feminine behaviour that leads to oppression - even in men, such as men being unable to wear dresses, unable to be stay at home dads or nurses, etc, without facing disapproval or mockery based on their choices. I don't necessarily consider feminism, at least in relation to me, to mean defending females, but more about defending femininity, no matter what gender that femininity is displayed. I also think people fear using the term feminist to describe themselves because of the backlash that they're going to face, and I don't want to be scared of that. So I'm comfortable with sticking with the term feminist, but if other people use equalist, that's their business.

• Interesting.

Increasingly though, I'm starting to see it as more of a special interest group. Specifically, one that is just about advancing the interests of women. In general (especially in the past) this means they do the same as a group that's genuinely looking for equality but I do doubt that feminism is really about that now.

• Beautifully stated.

• Thank you! <3

Most Helpful Guy

• If a girl tells me she is a feminist then I leave the situation and go no contact. Seriously feminist are the most unattractive people on the market. It just screams I have daddy issues and I'm not sexually attractive to men so I'll claim to be "independent", eat my emotions away with cookies and ice cream, and try to rationalize my singleness lies. As far as male feminist.. fcking pansies with no backbone.

Sure a girl can be independent and I'm not living in the 50s but when radicals take it to far.. No fcking thank you.

What Girls Said 17

• In don't really get what you mean by 'rebranding'; you mean people who call themselves 'egalitarian' but want to distance themselves from feminism?

It's called feminism because femininity is still shamed in society, which is a problem for people of all genders. There are issues of intersectionality within feminism which need to be addressed, but its focus in my opinion should still be with the feminine and women's issues. On a global scale, women are still oppressed in many ways, patriarchy still exists, and calling oneself 'egalitarian' negates that.

People who assume feminists hate men, unless they're talking about radical feminists, are wrong. Feminists in general want equality, and that means addressing men's issues as well, but we recognise that many of these issues are exacerbated if not outright caused by patriarchy

• I mean, call feminism whatever you want. I don't personally care if you want to call it "egalitarianism" because generally the ideas are similar. I'm personally more about results, but I'm not going to call myself an egalitarian as I identify as feminist.

• Feminism isn't getting results though...

• @BruceJender or perhaps you think the height of humour is simply poor taste, but you have always made that abundantly clear.

• And on that note :)

• Feminism has gone wildly off track. It's largely uneccessary in modern culture, and where it is necessary, it's misused. I think it needs to be scrapped, and people need to campaign for general human rights.

• I'd agree but feminists I've spoken to refuse to 'rebrand'. I think they see it as a betrayal of the suffragettes or something.

• "Unfortunately, most people who call themselves feminists are the ones who have destroyed the meaning of feminism, by turning into misandrists and trying to elevate women above men. "

Very true @GingerBear.

• Most feminists are annoying and really just yap nonstop and bark loudly like Chihuahuas. Their point often gets lost in their piss poor communication skills and a lot of them tend to contradict themselves.

• I consider myself a feminist because I believe women and men SHOULD and supposed to have the same rights. People that don't, disgust me PERIOD

• Most people believe in equal rights but don't identify as feminists.

• That's fine too, as long as they're not a sexist I am fine with whatever the person wants to call themselves. I was just saying I call myself a feminist

• I'm not going to shrug off a label because internet folks don't like it. I know what I want to take and use from feminism and what it means to me. I'm not worried about anyone else.

• What do you mean "rebrand"? Like call it egalitarian or something?
    Many people will say it's because being "female" is "lesser" bein called a girl is an insult, being feminine is a bad thing. The word "feminism" promotes equality and aims to destigmatize the "female" aspect of things.

• And a woman being called "manly" is an insult.

Calling someone a "dick" is an insult.

Can you complain when it happens to everyone?

• A girl can be a tomboy and it's considered cool. "Just like one of the guys" is a good thing. Pussy is also an insult? Asshole too?
      Guys are made fun of if hey drink "Girly drinks" but a girl is sexy if she can "chug beer like a man"
      @rjroy3

• I guy can be metrosexual and it's fine. He's "comfortable with his sexuality".
      Yes, Pussy is an insult. But so is Dick.
      Asshole is universal.
      Guys are respected and looked at as strong when getting ripped. But if a girl does it she is called "Manly" as an insult. That's why there is a big movement telling girl that if they lift weights they won't look manly.

• I like to consider myself a feminist.. :)

• i think being an equalist is the same thing as being a feminist, but feminist should be the politcally correct term. It's sorta like that whole "Black lives matter" being changed to "All lives matter". Obviously all lives matter but by saying that one is detracting from the main problem that people should pay more attention to the fact that when black people die, they do not receive as much attention. This is similar to saying everyone should have equal rights. Obviously they should, but again this is not appropos to the situation that females are discriminated against and therefore almost cancels out that notion.

• if any answer is going to be read make it this one

• I just don't call myself a feminist since people seem incapable of understanding it can have many different branches.

• Because it's not necessary.

• What is it that you mean by 're branding feminism'?

• It depends really. Some say the name should be changed to Egalitarianism or something like that. Some say it should be completely reformed.

• Well the only reason I'd want the name to be changed is that 'fem'inism sounds so anti men to many people. However what feminism really aims for is equal rights for females, gender equality. As simple as that. Feminism is gender equality from a woman's point of view.

• Fuck feminists #YOLOTHUGLIFE

• What would rebranding mean, exactly?

• Changing the name at least I'd imagine.

• I don't really care what we call it or even if it has a name. I just think we need to find ways to reduce the pressure people feel to live within constrained gender roles.

• I'm a proud feminist

• You can "rebrand it" all you want... until they start actually "DOING" things differently they will always be considered a group based on the bad actions of the current group.

• Yes, there are some feminists here :)

What Guys Said 21

• Because right now, and probably for another 20 more years, women are by far suffering morecat the hands of men, than men at the hands of women.

A woman can't reject a man without risking rape or muerder, or both.

A woman can't taker her top off when it's 110 degrees outside cause in most places, she'll get arrested.

A woman can't walk alone at night, or sometimes even with 1 or 2 friends, without needing to watch her back.

A woman can't like anything men typically like without men ridixuling her, fetishizing her, or pestering her with questions to prove she's legitimately into it and not just "doing it for attention"

A woman wears makeup and is accused or false advertisement as if she were a product to be sold.
    She doesn't wear it, and she's called a slob.

Men? They can't be whimpy or cowardly, femenin or sensitive, they can't not pay for dates and they have to risk rejection to ask women out.
    Sure, men get raped, too, but that mostly only happens in prison and they're being raped BY OTHER MEN.

So yeah, feminism.

• You're a white knight.

It's all good you've stated facts on how women have it so bad, but the fact that you have bothered adding mens' issues speaks words. You've even downplayed the shit we have lol..

Read this: thoughtcatalog.com/.../

And take a look at this article: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...used-rape.html

• @BruceJender "5 Legal Rights Women Have That Men Don’t" Article, #1 Female circumcision does not benefit women/girls in any way, and it causes many health complications. Female circumcision is practiced in some African, Middle Eastern, and Asian countries, usually without anesthesia, girls can be circumcised up to 15 years of age, and even some adult women. Male circumcision has many benefits, including preventing from stds and UTI's. #2- This is actually denying women the right. #3 Its their body, not yours. #4 Feminism fights for the rights of men too, Assuming women as caregivers is a feminist issue. #5 ... Women are raped all the time and without abortion rights, they suffer every day, not even including the PTSD.

• I always find it funny reading the male opinions on feminism. They are pretty much the same as what's here. Feminists talk all of the time about how they support men too, but men seem to think that's not the case. So basically, feminism is shoving it's viewpoint down men's throats whether they like it or not under the guise of "helping them."

Isn't that kind of what the feminists say about the "patriarcy"? They have evolved into the very thing they hate and don't even seem to realize it.

Rebrand it into whatever you want, it's the ideas, not the name.

• I consider myself a feminist... I understand that the issues are very fundamental. Our choices influence what we become, and the subjugation of women is a choice that demeans human virtue, morality, and ethics. The consequences are devastating.

Jean-Paul Sartre is one of my favourite philosophers, along with Simon De Beauvoir. Together, their ideas reveal some pretty profound insights about human nature, our place in the universe, and existentialism.

I feel that people who belittle feminism either don't understand the issues or are just bad people.

• Does it not bother that plenty of feminists either don't want you to be a feminist or want to limit your role in the movement?

• I've never come across such a person. The idea bothers me though, sure. I think they are simply wrong though, they too don't understand what is at stake nor how to proceed.

I'm not too concerned with those types though... I would rather not debase myself on their account. I'll focus on the core issues instead.

• It's the ideas that are unpopular with men, not the label.

But, the damage has already been done. Women are slowly starting to recognize the damage that has been done to them and to men in their name and with their co-operation, but this recognition is too little, too late.

• "Women are slowly starting to recognize the damage that has been done to them and to men in their name and with their co-operation, but this recognition is too little, too late."

Is feminism not growing? That's the impression I get.

• No, I would say that feminism is becoming less popular, but the change isn't as great as many anti-feminists think. The number of women who reject feminism, rather than merely rejecting the label 'feminism', is growing but still small.

• Feminism is being abandoned by millions of people, now that there is critical thought entering the debate Feminism is being exposed as primarily bullshit and people are noticing.

In 2 years Feminists have gone from 28% of the population to 18% of the population, just think how many millions of people that is!!

today.yougov.com/.../

www.vox.com/.../feminist-gender-equality-poll

• its become a flag for radical man hating fascists, so when that happens you have to find a new banner to rally under, preferably egalitarianism. those that remain say they have good intentions but they don't, otherwise they would have left for another cause when the milk turned sour.

Speaking of nazis;
    "We are Socialists, enemies, mortal enemies of the present capitalist economic system with its exploitation of the economically weak, with its injustice in wages, with its immoral evaluation of individuals according to wealth and money instead of responsibility and achievement, and we are determined under all circumstances to abolish this system! And with my inclination to practical action it seems obvious to me that we have to put a better, more just, more moral system in its place, one which, as it were, has arms and legs and better arms and legs than the present one!"

that all sounds very nice and well intentioned, right? similar to this "equality" we always hear feminists going on about? well that is a quote from gregor strasser of the nazi party. you dont want any nazi comparisons but they are the perfect example of an ideology that has become corrupted that no one wants to abandon. this "rebranding" you are talking about is exactly what gregor did to the nazi party to pave the way for adolf hitler who ultimately killed him because he saw him as competition for the power vacuum he himself created

• It's nothing more than a word. When someone tells me they're a feminist I really learned nothing at all about them because that word has become so broad it can mean just about anything. Besides I judge someones character based on their actions. Not a self imposed title.

• Feminism has become a dysfunctional social movement infested with misandrists and "SJWs". It used to be so pure and real, now it's aggressive, hostile and backward.

Women, in the West, are amongst the most privileged people. Why should they use a movement to get added help and support? Why can't they focus all that energy on the East were women are still being beaten and treated severely unfaitly?

Some of the so-called "Feminists" on this site, for example, are immature and frankly delusional too. There is no such thing as the 'Gender Pay Gap', yet a load still believe in it.

• Hard to say if there are any since it's hard to differentiate them from Voldem... I mean feminazis.

• Women do it because of self interest, and men do it because they want to feel like a MAN. There is no manlier feeling than protecting a helpless woman.

• There's definitely feminists on this site... and feminazis as well!

#NotSayingNames

• They have tried to Re-Brand it, the He for She campaign for example.

• If feminists start using another term, e. g. we start all calling ourselves equalists, the feminazis will move with us.

• Feminsim is a lost cause lmao what a joke since day 1

• It doesn't need a rebranding

• I don't like feminists.

• Hopefully the lesbians just gave up on all that feminine b. S.

• That would require self awareness and reflection. And it would require humility to admit it needs change.

Since feminists are busy building a narrative and identity of victim-hood, you aren't going to get the change you're looking for.

• Feminism was designed to further women, and that was needed when there were major equalities, as they could further women under the premise of equality. Nowadays women are equal and superior in many ways in accordance with the law, and feminism still pushes under the premise of equality. For this reason I think feminism is the perfect name, and any other name would be misleading or straight out lying, because what it does is advance women, and nothing else.

• There are a lot of feminists on this site but they hate titles because they know there are a lot of haters on here too.

• I laugh every time I hear the word 'feminism'.

• This site is crawling with feminists, why no re-branding... because they actually are feminists that's' why.