What do you think of singers who don't write their own music?

Most Helpful Girl

• It always bothers me... especially when they get more exposure than people who actually do write their own songs and invest a lot of time in them.
    If you don't write your own music, then you're just a glorified studio musician, but then, some of them aren't even musicians...

However Three Dog Night was a band that was very popular in the early 70's and they didn't write most of the songs they sang but the popularity of their covers gave exposure to the songwriters... Harry Nilsson, Randy Newman, Elton John, John Hiatt and lots of others.

Some of the greatest bands started out doing covers. Jimi Hendrix didn't write "Hey Joe", "All Along the Watchtower", and many others... but I never heard anyone say his performance lacked because he didn't write the song.
    So I guess there's some good in it.

Most Helpful Guy

• nothing. they sing... that's a talent in itself.

What Girls Said 3

• They have skill but lack creativity.

• I don't have a problem with it... If a singer is talented for singing but is dyslexic or can't write a song very well, what's wrong with that if in the end they produce a really good song :)

• Some are talented singers but most of them are just looking for a paycheck

What Guys Said 7

• I don't know why, but the drummer tends to write a lot of the music from what I've seen around. Personally, the best songs I would say tend to be made when each member of a band writes their own respective part. The guitarist may come up with a riff and be like "Hey check this out guys!" Then the singer starts singing on top of it, the drummer starts improving, then the bass adds stuff.

I don't blame the singer for not writing their own music. Writing music isn't too easy. Good versatile singers are also hard to come by, so I'd be very happy with a good singer in a band I'd be in, even if they couldn't write stuff. If they can sing it, that's good enough for me.

• Nothing. Its hard writing songs. Singing is more of a natural gift that doesn't take as much effort as writing a good song does.

• Not got a problem with them. If writing good songs was easy then we would all do it.

It's singers who mime who I have a problem with. Anyone can do that. If you can't sing live then your not a singer so get a job.

• Hate it. It doesn't normally happen to full bands, rather "solo" singers where a record label hires writers for them and put them on the road to promote and that's it, fame. Fucking sucks

• Nothing at all.

• Is this in reference to Drake?

I feel like it depends on the genre. Everybody knows Beyonce and Katy Perry don't write their own music. That's what song writers do, and that's why I think the best genre. The genre with the most creative artists are singer-songwriters. These people not only make songs for themselves, but others as well.

Anyway, what Katy and Beyonce do is they get a group of people. They listen to a production (music) and they all leave. Everybody writes their own song to it and they meet up again. Then everybody plays their version of the song and Katy and Beyonce picks the best one.

That's fine in the pop/R&B and Country world. In the Hip Hop and maybe rock world it's not as accepted. People want bars in Hip Hop and they want it from the actual artist. Not someone else. People want music from their band and not someone else writing for them in rock.

So yeah it depends on the genre.

• They are just cover artists.