What's the big deal about school shootings?

I just mean that unless you knew someone there who really cares? I don't feel bad for the victims, I didn't know them so it doesn't really matter to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• We usually, as a society, think of school as a safe place. A good place, where we gather up our children (our innocents, our loved ones, our future), where they'll learn and grow and flourish as people. Most of us view it more cynically than that, but I think that's still an ideal that hovers around in the back of the mind.

And then someone shoots it up, and the safety is shattered. The children aren't okay. It's a grave, not a place to learn and grow. Colleges are more mature, yeah, but there's still that mindset of "this is school, these are students, this is a place of growing, not death."

Most Helpful Guy

• The true victims are the killers in my opinion

Most people who easily bash on the killers usually... not always never got rejected, we're treated as higher ups , were popular, had a lot of friends
    Can you imagine living a life where literally most folks hate you?

• I agree completely

• @psychomonkey because they were driven to that point by other people

• Oh and by the way do you see how these people don't really have a valid reason/opinion for your question besides a quick insult or remark?

They hate change and difference

What Girls Said 11

• feeling for someone other than ourselves makes us human.. even animals don't show this sort of attitude..

• Lmaooo are you just making asshole questions you know will spark a reaction?

If you really believe there's nothing wrong with innocent children dying, you need help.

• 2|0
  • It is a sad situation for everyone involved of course. It's sad even for people who aren't involved such as me, even though I live far away from USA. I feel sad because human lifes are wasted, the kids that died, and because the one who did it reacked to this point of madness. It shows how teachers, parents and classmates should recognise and support a person who suffers of psychological problems. Having mental problems doesn't mean you can go around killiing people..

• Murdering innocent lives is a big deal. It could be just me but when I hear of someone dying in such a tragic and unnecessary way I can't help but feel anger and sadness regardless of who they are. I think its just human nature to be effected by these kinds of injustices whether they are in direct contact with you or not.

• This is why people don't like you.

• Well that's not very nice

• People hate change

People may not like people like us because we go against the grain
      It scares them... don't listen to these guppies... they just want you to be another exact copy like them

Be yourself

• says the 17y/o...

• Wow... shit like that is gonna get you punched in the face...

• You don't haveto feel bad for the victims, but sympathising with the shooter is somewhat psychopathic. When I heard the shooting, I thought it was horrible, I even tuned in to the news and what Barack was saying. Kids go to school to get an education and most are building their life, and then it gets wasted by some psycho at the school. There are literally no safe place for kids.

• You are a senseless ass

• If it was someone you knew it would be a big deal to you. How would you feel if a person said the same thing about your family member dying? "Oh why would I care about that little shit, she/he wasn't MY family member, idc" "Good she/he dies, shouldn't have been in that place". Idiotic people everywhere I see smh

• If it was someone you knew, then it would be a big deal to you. If it doesn't matter to you, then let it matter to those who care...

What Guys Said 13

• I don't know, I mean people die every day right?
    I guess it's just something that's so far from the world being a good place that people can't help but talk about it.

• Feeling empathy for someone in this situation is basic human nature. Your question on the other hand shows your poor attitude.

• A guy killing kids and a lot more kids losing their innocence is really bad bro. Even I feel bad for the parents cause that would be a nightmare for them.

• If it means nothing to you why you making a question out of it?

• its children that didn't have a chance to live, its not really nice to know that loads of kids died. im assuming you feel sad when a celebrity dies? like the other auts

• say that when it is someone you know.

• the big deal, is innocent lives are wasted
    all life is precious whether we realize it or not

i think the USA has a weird problem with this, it seems like every year there is a number of them, which i dont understand why?

• probably because you dont have to go anymore,
    the school i go to school shootings are not expected but wouldn't be a surprise if it happens i pray everyday i make it back through my door after school is over

there was recently a stabbing at my school and is known for stabbings but no shootings (yet)

• lol. wow someone's trying to make friends with their questions. You're on a roll. I like you already.

• Death of young people is a big deal to most people with a decent sense of right and wrong. Don't kill people Jimmy. It's not going to make you cool.

• "No man is an island,
    Entire of itself,
    Every man is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manor of thy friend's
    Or of thine own were:
    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind,
    And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee."

John Donne

I couldn't put it better than that.

I think it's a specially big deal also because most people view it as different in kind than an accident like an airliner crashing or even than an equal number of people being killed or injured in a number of separate incidents. The reason why it is seen as different, particularly different from the latter case is not clear to me. I can only suppose it's the spectacle and the use of the incident for political purposes.

• you sort of fit the profile for a shooter. Go seek help

• Your gonna get a lot of opinions on this one that are not in your favor, I never knew them either in any of them but I felt bad still since I have kids too