Is there a fine line between being a very honest person and being a straight up asshole/bitch?

I'm just wondering since people often lump brutally honest people or honest people in general, into the same group as people who are inconsiderate and rude.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a friend who is brutally honest. He will dish it out to anyone anytime no matter how they feel, young, old, you name it. I have started to spend far less time with him (mainly because I fear it will get me killed, lol), but it's also like give it a rest sometimes. You don't have to say everything about everything all the time and then say "oh well, just being honest." I think those people have little to no consideration of the other person and whether they appreciate or welcome the honesty. He's alienated a lot of people, so I'm not sure how this is helping "his victims" or himself in life. As far as just honest people who try not to lie, sort of deal, they are the sort where if you say, can you be honest with me, they cough up an honest opinion vs. the brutally honest person just giving it whether the other person wants it or not.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, that 'line' is very clear!

What Girls Said 3

• Depends who you're talking to. Some people will find it incredibly rude, while others might think it's refreshingly honest. There's a range. There's also a point at which almost everyone will agree you're being an asshole and should have some tact.

• I know that I often come across as an ass/bitch, but really, everything I say is from a place of genuine concern and caring. I don't believe in sugar-coating the truth, especially when it's something that someone ought to hear.

• I understand that. I'm a brutally honest person myself but my intention never was to offend people but if that's how some people feel about it, then so be it (to them).

• You can only control your own reactions. If people can't handle the truth, it's on them, not you.

• i feel like i accidentally cross that line sometimes. :/

What Guys Said 5

• You can be straight forward and honest without being an asshole. And you can be an asshole without being straight forward or honest. Generally, people who are assholes hide behind the fact that they are "just being honest". You can be honest and still be a nice person or say it nicely.

• The only difference is the person getting the advice if they are a little bitch or not

• there is honest and there is asshole honest

• Tact is an important skill to have. It's the main weapon in any interpersonal relationship

• No, there is not a line at all.