Should it become illegal to post pictures of people taken in public without their consent on the internet?

It's absolutely legal in the United States right now, also in my country. I did it as it's legal, but received a lot of backlash.

• Yes, it should be legal
  • No, it shouldn't be legal

Most Helpful Guy

• i thought it already was illigal

• Based on your country, it may be illegal or not. In the United States and Turkey (where I live), it's legal.

Most Helpful Girl

• It should remain legal.
    Imagine how difficult, basically impossible, such a law would be to enforce. Also, it's common knowledge that if you don't want people to know some parts about you, feel free to do them in the safety of your home. Once it's outside of those walls, it's in the public domain and fair-game.

What Guys Said 7

• You really can't expect your own privacy when you're in a public space. Even if it did become illegal it's not like it's going to be something that's enforced. People are constantly illegal downloading music and films and receive no repercussions

• Actually it's not legal. It's just there is little reason to censor personal photos, but to publish media, you require consent.

• You're funny. If it's legal on one occasion and illegal in another, it doesn't make sense to say it's "not legal". I can take your photo in public and post it on my blog, make it my profile pic, etc. You don't have any kind of legal power over it. You only do if I try to make money off it. Ogren de gel, OK?

• Pretty much. It's why, for example, catfishing isn't illegal, since you don't profit. Yet, the MTV show catfish, requires consent since MTV makes money from advertising during the show.

• it's not legal where I live.

if you are not just part of a scenery but the focus of the picture, then you have to get their permission. if you wanna share it with the public on the internet, you have to get their permission again

• I say no. This law wouldn't be enforced anyway!

• I don't think it's legal in USA. You can see people with censored faces all the time in prank videos taking place in USA.

• It may not be in public but a private property like someone's house like a college or they may not be aware of the law. You can research it yourself, it is legal in the US.

• Its not really that much a problem to actually create a law against it

• I want to say yes but when im in public and i see some huge booties i just have to snap a picture or video for later xD not their faces though..

I want to say no too because if someone recorded or tok a picture of me id be mad but if the took it of my bootie id be more than heppy xD

as long as it isn't a guy.

What Girls Said 7

• Oops I accidentally pressed yes because I thought it said yes it should be ILLEGAL.

I should clarify tho, it depends on the picture and the purpose. I think that a photo taken of a crowd in public or at an event is fair game, as otherwise it would put undue challenges on the press. But unwanted photos of an individual without consent are not ok.

• it should not be legal..

• it would become illegal when the person gets sued for posting the other person's picture.

• No, at least not for the pictures of celebreties lol

• I think it actually is illegal here, though no one actually gives a shit

• It's a public space... so no, it shouldn't be illegal.

Now, this app that's coming out where people can post about you, and you have no control over it? You can't delete it, and others can make your account... yeah that is a terrible terrible idea!

• I think you meant put illegal in your poll not legal